WonderMonkey

Raising Your ATV Higher To Work On It

The other day I sat on my 5 gallon bucket to do some things and it was a good height.  However, I know when I do the ES Prep I'll probably end up on the floor.  I don't mind that, but I'd like to know what most people do.  Do you use a floor jack and jack stands to get the atv a bit higher to make things easier, or just suck it up and get on the floor?

• Like 1

you just gotto get down, sometimes i sit on a stool, sometimes on the floor, the floor is hard to get off of when you get old.  lol  if you are working on the bottom half, you need the bike to be about waist high like some shops...good luck WM

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derf40 said:

you just gotto get down, sometimes i sit on a stool, sometimes on the floor, the floor is hard to get off of when you get old.  lol  if you are working on the bottom half, you need the bike to be about waist high like some shops...good luck WM

Thanks.  I'd love to get a hoist but I wouldn't be working on one enough to justify it.  At least I HOPE I won't be.

I've used buckets, transmission jacks, milk crates and just about anything depending on the job but a few years back I picked up a Powerbuilt Heavy Duty 3-in-1 4000 lb jack. At its peak its 17" and has a cross bar that can used to convert it to a jack stand. I often do this and remove the handle and the jack sits under the footprint of the quad (or bike) so I don't trip on anything. Had the 2013 can am Renegade 700# beastie up on this thing and it sits securely, I've even pushed the quad around in the shop (while it was strapped to the jack) as I had to make more room for other projects... like my sons truck 🙄, which prompted me to buy another jack just like this one. All in all its worked great for the quads, bikes, car and truck (removed transmission, brake jobs). 

s-l400 (12).jpg

s-l400 (11).jpg

• Like 3

When I was rebuilding the front end of my King Quad, I used the winch to almost stand the bike up so it was easier for me to work on.

• Like 2

work smart ^^^^ i used a thick tree limb and a chain hoist many times. then got a bike lift ,  also comes in handy for a work Bench too, i don't about your bike, but you can stand a 300 (and some other models)  up on the rear rack, and have access to just about everything.

• Like 1

I use a Harley Davidson service lift—real easy for lifting an early TRX350 or any TRX300.

For lifting any model with footwells you have to at least remove the left footwell to clear the service lift crank lever. 

1E45E680-365F-4ADE-A309-2830CF69F6B8.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Akunin said:

I've used buckets, transmission jacks, milk crates and just about anything depending on the job but a few years back I picked up a Powerbuilt Heavy Duty 3-in-1 4000 lb jack. At its peak its 17" and has a cross bar that can used to convert it to a jack stand.

Wow!  That certainly would do it!

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

When I was rebuilding the front end of my King Quad, I used the winch to almost stand the bike up so it was easier for me to work on.

Good use of the winch.  I don't have trees on my property but like a hoist, I could reinforce a point in my ceiling to use it.  Thanks.

28 minutes ago, Goober said:

I use a Harley Davidson service lift—real easy for lifting an early TRX350 or any TRX300.

For lifting any model with footwells you have to at least remove the left footwell to clear the service lift crank lever. 

1E45E680-365F-4ADE-A309-2830CF69F6B8.jpeg

Poor thing looks like it hasn't eaten in a while!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

work smart ^^^^ i used a thick tree limb and a chain hoist many times. then got a bike lift ,  also comes in handy for a work Bench too, i don't about your bike, but you can stand a 300 (and some other models)  up on the rear rack, and have access to just about everything.

I was thinking about seeing if I could stand mine up.  I used to do that way back on my three wheeler.  I'd have to watch the taillight and such, but I'm going to look and see.

I usually jack my quad up as high as the 1ton jack will allow, then rest on stands

• Like 3

I work on a LOT of powersports toys, had a homemade lift for race bikes, but nothing for street or atv's got tired of being on the ground, recessed and modified a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, have side extension that just slip on when the need is there ! Been using the ! out of it for five years, always something on it !

103_0772.jpg

103_0788 (2).jpg

• Like 5

I use the orange lift under the atvs  a lot ------  you can see it to well in this pic , there is a red transmission jack under the rear end , it is actually works better than the atv lift 

fullsizeoutput_de7.jpeg

• Like 2

i dont have a floor, so i use the floor jack, [funny aint it], put the atv or whatever, on jack stands, then use some wood to raise it up higher, if i want with the floor jack. i got a 2.5 to 3 ton floor jack.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, Wheeler said:

I usually jack my quad up as high as the 1ton jack will allow, then rest on stands

That's kind of what I was thinking for my strategy, except I was going to use a 4x4 as a cross beam.  Then I was thinking that sounded a bit shaky so I'm back to exactly what you said.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 10:29 PM, oldmxrider said:

I work on a LOT of powersports toys, had a homemade lift for race bikes, but nothing for street or atv's got tired of being on the ground, recessed and modified a Harbor Freight motorcycle lift, have side extension that just slip on when the need is there ! Been using the ! out of it for five years, always something on it !

I'll bet that the first time you lifted one up it was real nice!  HUGE difference in being able to stand or sit in a chair and do things.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 6:17 AM, Fishfiles said:

I use the orange lift under the atvs  a lot ------  you can see it to well in this pic , there is a red transmission jack under the rear end , it is actually works better than the atv lift 

I don't think I've ever looked at one of those.  I'll look them up.

20 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

i dont have a floor, so i use the floor jack, [funny aint it], put the atv or whatever, on jack stands, then use some wood to raise it up higher, if i want with the floor jack. i got a 2.5 to 3 ton floor jack.

Well not so much as funny but it did make me sit here and think that through for a moment.  I was trying to imagine no floor but yet you use a floor jack.  Kind of like some riddle that made me fail a test.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I'll bet that the first time you lifted one up it was real nice!  HUGE difference in being able to stand or sit in a chair and do things.

You can not imagine, How nice it is at least for Me ! I am 68 and been playing with these toys since I was 15 !  

• Like 3

Bought the little walk behind lift from a closing down factory for $300, it now has long forks and a platform that will raise a full size foreman lengthways for me to work on. 

Then I have my work forklift with the pioneer on it changing tires.

The big lift at my shop with the boom pole is useful for unloading all my junk

B4D02218-518A-450D-A5C6-F6395652BC25.jpeg

894CA637-33F5-45C9-9E0B-F1730FD29C49.jpeg

4394DD8E-510D-44E3-9293-C581507CE9EF.jpeg

• Like 3

I have an overhead hoist rail I use a come-along with. I've lifted whole King Quad 280's with it. About 600 pounds. Really don't want to try anything heavier. Works great for lifting front and rear ends. The roller makes it easy to sling an engine onto my bench.

20191109_192617.jpg

Anchorage-20120802-01236.jpg

20200531_104229.jpg

20200531_110612.jpg

• Like 3

I recently bought this air operated lift table.

Table is 8'x2', Removable side extensions make it 48" wide.

1- 24" wide removal ramp for motorcycles and 2- 12" wide removable ramps for atv's.

Has front wheel chock and removable rear tire drop out panel for motorcycles.

1500 lb. capacity, operates on 90-110 psi.

Makes ATV maintenance so much easier for me.

Lift Table.jpg

Lift Table 2.jpg

• Like 3