freebo86

Adjusted Valves runs and sounds poorly

Gasoline works for testing the seat of the valve , pour gas into the intake and look for weepage , then the exhaust 

Reminder, lube the valve guides up before you put new valve seals on them. Every moving part gotta be oiled good during assembly. Have we mentioned super-scrubbing the honing grit out of the bore yet? 🙂

• Like 4

Take your time , don't rush , I know you want to hear it run , haste makes waste  ---- "Anything worth doing , is worth doing right the first time or not at all " , that was my Grandpa's saying 

Don't forget to stager the ring gaps and don't let any ring gap line up with the wrist pin bore holes 

• Like 5

So here is a question. Started cleaning the cylinder in hot water.. and the sleeve slid out of the cylinder housing. Is this normal?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

did you PM shade your cell phone number yet ? if not i think you should. 

No, not sure why? Did I miss a message or something?

On March 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM, shadetree said:

if you are in the states ?, pm me, give me your cell number, i'll walk you through this..DO NOT POST YOUR CELL NUMBER OUT IN THE OPEN IN THREADS !.

your not on the members map, so, and i don't recall where your at, the post is on page 15. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your not n the members map, so, and i don't recall where your at. 

Im in Canada. 

hm.... i dont know then, you'd have to ask him, about that, it's worth a try IMO, he's helped many members rebuild engines, fix issues, even made road trips to help out. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, freebo86 said:

Started cleaning the cylinder in hot water.. and the sleeve slid out of the cylinder housing. Is this normal?

It happens from time to time. The hot water expands the aluminum more than it can expand the iron sleeve... its nothing to be concerned about as long as the sleeve fits snuggly at room temp, which it will after you put it back together.

Go ahead and scrub the snot out of both parts then oil the iron bore only, using clean motor oil on a white cloth or a strong paper towel. If you see any specs of grit on your oiled white cloth after rubbing oil into the bore, scrub the cylinder in hot, soapy water again, then re-oil it.

Once the bore is clean and oiled, put the clean and dry aluminum cylinder in your oven and heat it up to about 150 degrees (F) or so. Then take the aluminum jug out of the oven and slide the cold iron sleeve back down into the jug until the top rim of the sleeve is seated flush with the deck of the aluminum jug. The cold iron sleeve will drop right in there.... be careful while handling the hot jug that ya don't burn yourself or drop either of those parts. Set the cylinder assembly aside to allow it to cool down slowly back to room temp, then you can install the cylinder on the motor. Hollar if ya have any issues with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow , a fall out loose  sleeve , I did quite a few uppers and never seen the sleeve fall out  before , wonder if it was spinning on your machinist while he was boring , are there any marks on the out side of the sleeve   ---- 

• Like 1

Well, did some reading and came up that the sleeve thing being normal as @retro said so I continued. Seated it back flush in the housing and off I went. Cleaned it all out with soap & water, brake cleaner as well and then oiled it.   Assembly was not bad, had a fun time getting the piston and rings to get nicely in there to ensure it’s all square. Setting all gaskets on and torques as per service manual. Adjusted valves to spec, filled it with oil. 

Spent the good part of the day putting it all back, well last night was the movement of truth. Fired up! And it fired up good. No strange noises or anything. Smoking was minimal. I let it idle for a minute or two, had to mess a bit with the choke at first but then it ran solidly. Took it for a spin around the block, increasing throttle up and down 0-50%, shifting good and all felt good. The machine sound is what really impressed me as there was no noises from the valve train. 

The bike sounds like a whole different machine. No ticks or bangs. Sounds really healthy! Turned it off, I hit the START button MAYBE half way and it fired right up, like instantly. Im

so stoked. 

I may have put 2miles on it thus far just around the block (street driving). I’ll need to trailer it to stretch its legs. 

Question is, now what? Do I run it for a couple of hours and drain, replace oil and filter? Can I do it now? 

• Like 8

thanks for update, sounds like your over  the hump now, just oil / filter changes till she's broke in, and the smoke from the 1st start up, is normal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Freebo , Isn't that a good feeling when it starts right up after having been all up in it !!! Congratulations !!! 

I would give it an hour till an oil change in your situation , don't forget to go easy on it and let it break in ----  I go about 5 hours break in without going wide open throttle and then let it rip , G+H sends a break in procedure with there jobs , they say it is 100 hours before it is totally broken in --- some people go right at it  --- have fun ! 

How's the shifting issue , seen you never made mention to it !!! 

• Like 4

Congrats! Good work!!

Keep the RPMs down during the first two hours of runtime, constantly varying the RPMs (light acceleration under load, followed by deceleration cycles) and don't allow the motor to idle more than a few seconds at a time, except while warming the piston up after cold startups. Put a minimum of two hours (you didn't put a new camshaft in it, so no need to change oil after one hour) on the motor before you change the oil & filter the 1st time. When you change the oil make sure that the motor is fully warmed up and yank the oil plug & filter as soon as you shut the warm motor off. After changing the oil & filter allow the motor to cool off completely and readjust the valves. Take it easy on the motor during the 1st 10 hours of it's new life then ride it however you wish. Change the oil again between 15-20 hours and have fun with it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fishfiles breakin recommendations are as effective as any! Just don't beat on it right away (the piston rings overheat if ya do) and it'll be fine.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, retro said:

When you change the oil make sure that the motor is fully warmed up

thats a good rule of thumb on any 4 stroke engine, thank you bringing this up, retro. 

Congratulations @freebo86, You did a real good job sticking with this project!!!

ATV HONDA sure has a great group of knowledgeable members willing to share their expertise.

Very impressive!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So the BIG question   ????  If I may ask ,  " How much $ did you put into it " ?????  

• Like 1

well done freebo86! I'm glad you stuck with it and now you have a fun machine with a healthy engine that you can enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, freebo86 said:

shifting good and all felt good.

good deal, sounds like you have this ready to enjoy some riding. 

• Like 1

freebo, congrats on getting this old girl fixed up.  Be sure to follow the break in suggestions posted here, I did and am glad to make sure the new parts are broken in correctly for the longevity of the engine.  You have been fortunate as I was to have all the help here to get it done right, no words can be enough to thank those involved.  Make sure to hang around here, you may be able, with the experience you have learned, to help another here......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I know guys that put more than that into one , it should last you a long time , you could have paid that much for one and was taking  a chance on what you got , you know what you got and learned how to work on it , all kinds of  ways to look at it , prepping that shift motor is a plus -- don't run off now that it is running , stick around 

• Like 4

Just now, Fishfiles said:

I know guys that put more than that into one , it should last you a long time , you could have paid that much for one and was taking  a chance on what you got , you know what you got and learned how to work on it , all kinds of  ways to look at it , prepping that shift motor is a plus -- don't run off now that it is running , stick around 

Well that is exactly my train of thought. Earlier in this thread I wasn’t sure what to do, pretty demotivated. After browsing the local classifieds and seeing what people are asking for these machines $$$ (all due to COVID) I figured I may be better investing more $ into it than selling and buying something else. At least I know the machine and what had been done to date at that point versus buying something else and maybe starting from scratch. 

I know it’s a Honda and it’s reliable, it ain’t no CAN-AM IRS machine. But it’s going to do me for now and I hope it stays running lol. 

I do have to say thanks to all on this thread that chimed in and helped. If it wasn’t for the help and input from the members not sure I would have ventured down this path. Everyone’s help is greatly appreciated! I won’t be going anywhere’s, hope to post up in the Custom Thread I started and still clean up a few things I intended to do. I do have a ball joint on hand lol I need to replace too! 

But I’ll be around reading threads, helping and most likely getting help! Good bunch of folks here, reminds me of the Jeep forums!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1