freebo86

Adjusted Valves runs and sounds poorly

I paid $2200 for mine and had around $700-800 US in my engine project.  And like you have a good reliable machine hopefully for many years now, at least the engine...

• Like 4

I paid $900 for mine, 88 TRX350D Foreman. Sold the snow plow that cam with it for $200. So, $700 starting. Then the spending began. Lol.

engine top end overhaul including bore and new piston, rockers, chain, gaskets, carb kit, front tires, some missing plastic, oil filters, handle grips, led headlight, both clutches, intake valves, seat, seat cover, totaled another $1028.56. So I'm in mine for $1728.56. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, jdlmodelt said:

I paid $900 for mine, 88 TRX350D Foreman. Sold the snow plow that cam with it for $200. So, $700 starting. Then the spending began. Lol.

engine top end overhaul including bore and new piston, rockers, chain, gaskets, carb kit, front tires, some missing plastic, oil filters, handle grips, led headlight, both clutches, intake valves, seat, seat cover, totaled another $1028.56. So I'm in mine for $1728.56. 

22 hours ago, bcsman said:

I paid $2200 for mine and had around $700-800 US in my engine project.  And like you have a good reliable machine hopefully for many years now, at least the engine...

Ya I don’t know about your guys areas but around here all power sports seemed to have sky rocketed in price for the last year. 

There is people asking $1000 for machines that are broken apart like a parts fiche because they attempted to repair them and gave up. 

In all reality my machine pre covid is probably worth about $1000 or so. The guy originally wanted $2400 for it but I beat him down to $1800.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, freebo86 said:

In all reality my machine pre covid is probably worth about $1000 or so.

I beg your pardon sir, that statement is utter and complete nonsense! Wake up dude, you have added value to Universe!!! I am not easily fooled... sell your Foreman to me please, NOW! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well how bout some updated pix of your new quad?

I have more in my quads than they are “worth” I’m sure. If i have $3400 total in my TRX300 and i sell it for $2600 (there’s one listed at local Honda shop but not as purty), then i better get at least $800 worth of fun out of it first. Or trade for a couple Elk hunts, which is what I’m thinking.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, retro said:

I beg your pardon sir, that statement is utter and complete nonsense! Wake up dude, you have added value to Universe!!! I am not easily fooled... sell your Foreman to me please, NOW! 🙂

Lol! I meant pre the work I did of course. I guess maybe ATVs are more valued in the USA? But down here, my machine the way I purchased it just over a year or so ago would have been like I said about a $1,000. 

The way it sits now, with the engine work, suspension fixes, plastic cleaning, back seat, seat repair, heated grips and all other random odds and ends. I'd say its probably worth $3000-$3500 in todays market.

• Like 1

Beauty ~ $2600 US into it; worth more than what you got in it which is excellent 

Edited by Goober

2 hours ago, Goober said:

Well how bout some updated pix of your new quad?

I have more in my quads than they are “worth” I’m sure. If i have $3400 total in my TRX300 and i sell it for $2600 (there’s one listed at local Honda shop but not as purty), then i better get at least $800 worth of fun out of it first. Or trade for a couple Elk hunts, which is what I’m thinking.

im like you goober i have more in the project 300, then i would ever get out unless i parted out the hondaline parts, lol, I'd still do it all l er again to have one of the kind, anyways, just glad you got this one up and running again @freebo86

• Like 2

Prices up in your area are always higher, BUT prices have spiked in the last year.  The covid 19 printing press has dumped a lot of disposable cash into the market here, while at the same time, new ATV's are in short supply, so that gives us a spike in prices.  Great time to be selling, not a great time to be buying. 

• Like 2

Thinking carb ice. My Ruby acted up the other day after plowing. Prolonged idling in certain conditions can cause this. Put in the garage to thaw then see how it starts.

48 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Thinking carb ice. My Ruby acted up the other day after plowing. Prolonged idling in certain conditions can cause this. Put in the garage to thaw then see how it starts.

See I’m scared and fearful.. because this entire thread started on “no start while hot” issue which evolved. 

I wasn’t idling at all, the bike was driven pretty much the entire 1:20hr 

Im willing to bet it will start again if I went out now, which was the same scenario I posted like 2 months ago 😞 

Edited by freebo86
  • Like 1

Guessing I don’t know what you meant by Choke out choke in so im thinking choked or not choked.

Fan running on the trailer. Was fan running before you loaded it?

does the oil light come on momentarily and then go out?

spark plug dark?

Edited by Goober

Just now, Goober said:

Guessing I don’t know what you meant by Choke out choke in so im thinking choked or not choked.

Fan running on the trailer. Was fan running before you loaded it?

does the oil light come on momentarily and then go out?

Choke out as in the choke is pulled out. Choke in as in pushed in. 

The fan came one once or twice during my ride, like I said it was cold out. But it was not running the moment right before I loaded it on the trailer. 

Yes, oil light comes on and goes off. 

With the motor cold, at room temperature, what does the oil temp sensor measure for resistance?

Is the oil cooler clogged with mud or other debris?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, retro said:

With the motor cold, at room temperature, what does the oil temp sensor measure for resistance?

Is the oil cooler clogged with mud or other debris?

I’ll have to measure the oil temp sensor resistance. 

No idea if the oil cooler is clogged? What makes you think this now and how do I check? 

Just now, freebo86 said:

No idea if the oil cooler is clogged? What makes you think this now and how do I check? 

Should be able to take the oil cooler line off the engine and see if oil is flowing through it, just start it then shut it off kinda check, I would do it when changing the oil.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

Retro means externally blocked from air flow thru the fins , like packed with mud ----- can you see light thru the fins 

• Like 2

freebo on my 450 I pretty much use the choke when starting unless it's really hot out.  It's possible trying to start with the choke pushed in, the outside temp was very cold, so need the choke out.  Then with all the other start tries it got flooded.  These 450's are very cold blooded and it takes a learning curve to figure out how to start them.  Before your blood pressure surges next time pull out the choke to fire, then adjust from there. 

• Like 3

Easiest thing to do —If the spark plug is dark I would think you could try leaning the carb pilot jet in an eighth to a quarter.

second easiest is replacing the oil temp sensor ($40)

thirdly and most expensive is replacing the fan control unit ($190)

Edited by Goober

34 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

You should be able to shine a flashlight at the cooler on the backside and view whether it is jammed with debris (grass, mud etc.)  or not on the front side. You can use a pressure washer to clear debris if any is present.

When air flow through the oil cooler becomes blocked or restricted the motor overheats badly. Remember... the 450 is an oil-cooled motor, not an air-cooled motor.

Check the resistance through the oil temp sensor at room temperature. It should measure between 9.5k ohms and 10.5k ohms. If the sensor measures out of range at room temp that means that the cooling fan will not be activated when it is meant to, and the motor can/will overheat severely.

Your explanation of symptoms sound to me like a classic case of overheating.

• Like 1

^^^
yup Bcuz your quad engine looked like it had a coating of dirt on it when you started.

• Like 1