freebo86

Adjusted Valves runs and sounds poorly

hydraulic brakes. Replace fluid every two years they say; don’t know anyone who actually does it 

See my pic of that clean master cylinder. Yours will likely have sludge in it—try not to flush that into your brake system.

i use clean paper towels to soak out the liquid and paper towels and plumbers flux brush to remove the sludge.

Valvoline DOT4 brake fluid costs $4.50/pint USD. On older unmaintained systems I’ll do two flushes—a complete flush and refill—work that lever several times and then i let the fresh fluid sit in it overnight—and a second flush.

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2

So I went outside just to start the ATV and mess with the choke a bit and of course it’s quite temperamental. I could go from not being able to starting it to starting it easy. All depending how the choke knob was set. 

I loosened the knob at the dash try to get it loosened up and properly set and then re-tighten and I think that did a little trick too. Seems to be better now! 

Also noticed a big uhhh ohh moment. When I removed the front crankcase cover I had to pull the front diff forward. Well I just noticed now I never reinstalled that top mounting bolt for the diff and it’s no where to be found 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2

Maybe a new choke cable will help. Does it feel stiff or sticky? 

I have a collection of bolts I've swept up over the years. What size do you need? 😁

8 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Maybe a new choke cable will help. Does it feel stiff or sticky? 

I have a collection of bolts I've swept up over the years. What size do you need? 😁

Going to swing by the fastening store today and grab the bolt. Parts fiche calls for a 10x62mm flanged bolt, OEM $10, plus the Metal Collar ($10) that acts as a spacer. I have a hard plastic spacer I can make work just need a longer bolt as all I had was too short.

1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

Going to swing by the fastening store today and grab the bolt. Parts fiche calls for a 10x62mm flanged bolt, OEM $10, plus the Metal Collar ($10) that acts as a spacer. I have a hard plastic spacer I can make work just need a longer bolt as all I had was too short.

Pro tip, see if powersportsnation has a bolt bag for your model.  $29.99 shipped, and you'll get a bag of bolts and odds and ends from when they dismantled a Foreman.  Lug nuts, small bolts, big bolts, etc.  Look at the individual listings for your model and pick the one that looks like it has the most stuff you would use/need.  Some of them have more in them than others.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Pro tip, see if powersportsnation has a bolt bag for your model.  $29.99 shipped, and you'll get a bag of bolts and odds and ends from when they dismantled a Foreman.  Lug nuts, small bolts, big bolts, etc.  Look at the individual listings for your model and pick the one that looks like it has the most stuff you would use/need.  Some of them have more in them than others.

16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Power Sports Nation does have a 2000 450S bolt lot right now 

https://www.powersportsnation.com/honda-foreman-450-s-00-bolts-misc-hardware-atv-26965.html

There are the same deals on e-bay 

This is all good info boys, but dont forget I'm in the Cold North. They dont ship up here and even if they did it would be more hassle than its worth.

Got a 10.9 Bolt same size from the store, and I'll drill out my own collar from 3/4" round stock. $2. 😄

• Like 2

Yep , I forget about you being in the Dog Sled Mail Zone >>>>>> and being short on patiences , LOL

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1