WonderMonkey

What Did You Buy For Your ATV Today

I purchased a roto-drill (Dremel) type thing.  I purchased it initially for some plastic surgery on my atv but I figure I'll have uses for it beyond that one task.media.jpg

I purchased a WARN Winch Kit to keep with me when I'm on anything but a trivial ride.  I will spend quite a bit of time reclaiming allowed multi-use forestry roads that have been ignored for some time and using the winch or the two straps to get trees out of the path will come in handy.

Why did I mark on my kit?  I do that with all of my stuff just to make it easy to identify.  Sometimes it keeps an almost honest man honest, but it also keeps from making simple mistakes like picking up someone else's kit, since these are a frequent purchase.

media.jpg

Broke my winch cable plowing snow the other day so I had to get a new compression end for the cable....cost me .63 cents......lol

• Like 1

My kids do that all the time. In plow season I pull the winch rope out and wind up a length of regular rope in it. When it breaks, I just tie a new knot to the plow. Gives me an opportunity to wash the dirt out of my proper winch rope.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Broke my winch cable plowing snow the other day so I had to get a new compression end for the cable....cost me .63 cents......lol

You mean wire clamps, or do you use something different that requires a crimper?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBRider said:

Now you have a pocket full of change.  Save that and your retirement is set!

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

You mean wire clamps, or do you use something different that requires a crimper?

It was the crimping kind but I just use a big hammer....!

Edited by TBRider
  • Like 4

Have a link to what you're using?  I would think I could use a big vice for that, right? 

I have wire clamps on a couple of mine.  They work, but the hook hangs down as the clamps keep the wire from retracing all the way to the fairlead.

• Like 1

Yeah I ended up using my Dremel on a number of jobs where it would have never occurred to me to use it if I didn't have one. 

So they can be useful.

I got license plates and put them on.  On the Jeep, not the ATV.  I bought the Jeep in December and in Utah you get license plates when you buy a car, separate from the car.  In California, the plates go with the car.  It's a 2008 Jeep Liberty.  It will pull a trailer with the ATV on it.  The ATV can go on roads under 50 mph.  But not the main highways.

Now, why didn't I buy a road ready ATV, you may ask.

I don't know that they come road ready.

I was sold on the Pioneer 500 but a neighbor had me drive his.  Way too noisy.

Also, it comes with no windshield, no roof, ,and no back window.  When you put those on you hold the noise in more.  And then it's still not road ready.  You need turn signals, and mirrors and I forget what all else, then you pay a higher registration price.

Besides there's always only one of me.  Thus I don't need an extra seat.  So, Rancher 420 it is, and a trailer (yet to buy) pulled by Jeep, almost ready with new plugs, just now needs all new fluids.

dc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David13 said:

Yeah I ended up using my Dremel on a number of jobs where it would have never occurred to me to use it if I didn't have one. 

So they can be useful.

I got license plates and put them on.  On the Jeep, not the ATV.  I bought the Jeep in December and in Utah you get license plates when you buy a car, separate from the car.  In California, the plates go with the car.  It's a 2008 Jeep Liberty.  It will pull a trailer with the ATV on it.  The ATV can go on roads under 50 mph.  But not the main highways.

Now, why didn't I buy a road ready ATV, you may ask.

I don't know that they come road ready.

I was sold on the Pioneer 500 but a neighbor had me drive his.  Way too noisy.

Also, it comes with no windshield, no roof, ,and no back window.  When you put those on you hold the noise in more.  And then it's still not road ready.  You need turn signals, and mirrors and I forget what all else, then you pay a higher registration price.

Besides there's always only one of me.  Thus I don't need an extra seat.  So, Rancher 420 it is, and a trailer (yet to buy) pulled by Jeep, almost ready with new plugs, just now needs all new fluids.

dc

I have a Jeep also, but a Wrangler.  I also have a Rancher 420.  If I added all the things that California required to be road ready, to my Rancher, I'd have another Jeep, but I'd call it a Rancher.  But I have a trailer, so no need.  I'll attached the trailer to the Jeep then put the Rancher on the trailer.  I COULD have someone drive the Jeep, with the trailer attached, holding my Rancher, with me sitting on the Rancher, and I could FEEL like I'm driving it on the road, but I suspect that would be a DIFFERENT violation, resulting in a ticket.  So I won't do that.

1 hour ago, WonderMonkey said:

I have a Jeep also, but a Wrangler.  I also have a Rancher 420.  If I added all the things that California required to be road ready, to my Rancher, I'd have another Jeep, but I'd call it a Rancher.  But I have a trailer, so no need.  I'll attached the trailer to the Jeep then put the Rancher on the trailer.  I COULD have someone drive the Jeep, with the trailer attached, holding my Rancher, with me sitting on the Rancher, and I could FEEL like I'm driving it on the road, but I suspect that would be a DIFFERENT violation, resulting in a ticket.  So I won't do that.

That made my head hurt!

And Pre-chrysler Jeeps are best Jeeps.

jeeps.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Have a link to what you're using?  I would think I could use a big vice for that, right? 

I have wire clamps on a couple of mine.  They work, but the hook hangs down as the clamps keep the wire from retracing all the way to the fairlead.

This is what I used, they were in town at a nut and bolt store so no link. Guys that do garage doors might have them also.

20210122_164609.jpg

• Like 2

I've always been leery of using those without the proper crimper.  You ever have problems with them pulling out after hammering them closed?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That made my head hurt!

It hurt my head to type!

I would generally agree on the pre-Chrysler jeeps.  Having a family, etc. and using it for my general vehicle I had to wait until the 4 door (JKU) came out to get one.  I do enjoy it.

31 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

That made my head hurt!

jeeps.jpg

Agreed, 100%

Lol...if i am posting in this thread, its likely an unwanted repair from damage i did 😛

Hopefully this is the only post in here i do 🤭

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Lol...if i am posting in this thread, its likely an unwanted repair from damage i did 😛

Hopefully this is the only post in here i do 🤭

Gas . And the price is going up , $2.09 a gallon for non-ethanal  ... 

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've always been leery of using those without the proper crimper.  You ever have problems with them pulling out after hammering them closed?

Nope, and here's what the last one looked like when the cable broke.....

I've pulled it through the rollers a few times.

20210122_165510.jpg

20210122_165525.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TBRider said:

Nope, and here's what the last one looked like when the cable broke.....

I've pulled it through the rollers a few times.

20210122_165510.jpg

20210122_165525.jpg

You can braid that wire rope like rope and it holds -----  I see people use nylon straps on their snow plow winches  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

You can braid that wire rope like rope and it holds -----  I see people use nylon straps on their snow plow winches  

I usually used an old seatbelt out of an old van, but I didn't swap it out this year.

The newer roller fairleads from Warn have a larger bottom roller that really helps preserve the cable while plowing. Much more generous angle for the cable to turn.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PROV said:

The newer roller fairleads from Warn have a larger bottom roller that really helps preserve the cable while plowing. Much more generous angle for the cable to turn.

My winch sits so low in the front I added a wheel off the front rack to get more lift out of mine.

20210122_164641.jpg

• Like 5

Today I traded in a 1/2 inch DeWalt Imapact driver that I had purchased, but turned out to be much larger than I had imagined.  For the same price, I picked up a combo kit that includes the correctly sized impact wrench plus an impact driver.  My original purchase for the impact wrench was to work on my atv.  The smaller sized impact wrench/driver is much better suited for it.

• Like 1