jeepwm69

Canadian Trail Edition shocks for 05ish Rubicons

Anyone in Canada have a place with good parts schematics online? 

Was back and forth with freebo86 about his 450, and someone up there offered to sell him some CTE shocks from an 05-06 Rubicon.

I'd forgotten about these, and found this thread over on the old board.

https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/canadian-trail-edition-shocks-available-in-us-for-foremans.61918/

No part numbers are listed though.  I found one other thread where someone posted part numbers, but they were just the 05-06 Rubicon shocks for US machines.

Anyone have the part number or schematics showing part numbers for these mid 2000's Rubicon CTE?

The 09-14 Rubicons had adjustable shocks here. Besides being adjustable I think the only other difference was red springs on the CTE shocks. Part numbers use to be posted quite often on that forum back when everyone was talking about them.

5 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The 09-14 Rubicons had adjustable shocks here. Besides being adjustable I think the only other difference was red springs on the CTE shocks. Part numbers use to be posted quite often on that forum back when everyone was talking about them.

I was unable to find anywhere I could access schematics for a CTE.  I somehow managed to backdoor into this one, for a 2012 CTE, but if one uses the usual "make, year, model" to try to get into it the CTE Rubicon doesn't show up in the list of machines.  https://www.bike-parts-honda.ca/honda-motorcycle/500-ATV/FOURTRAX/2012/TRX500FAC/Frame/2/14462

For that one the shocks cross reference as the same as the 09-14 US Rubicons, but are those the same vaunted shocks that came on the 05-08 CTE Rubicons?

Yikes.  Only place I found to get them is up in Canada and it was about $1070 CAD.

• Like 1

Just stumbled on this. The shocks are of an 08 Rubicon500, guy sold them for $40.

They have 5 adjustments on them. And the springs are red. 

Quickly looking, they are 15-1/2” long fronts, the bottom mount seems wider? @toodeep have you installed these on a 450? Worth the effort and any major modifications?

Im currently running a prefex kit on my 450. But would like to gain some more clearance in the front. I don’t think running these CTE shocks with the Prefex will be doable or they won’t fit?

Edited by freebo86

I wouldn't pay too much for CTE shocks, I wouldn't doubt there is some cheap aftermarket adjustable shocks out there that are just as good, bronco's maybe? for a grand your better off buying Elka's. stage 1's are well under $1000, I think even stage 2 and 3 are for just the rear pair.

Alright, I took the stab and installed these. 

For info, this is on a 04- 450 Foreman that has a Prefex kit also. 

The rear was straight forward. Only difference I did was mount the lower mount closer to the OEM location. Since these shocks are longer to begin with I went for the closer to oem mount on the Prefex. 

For the front, also has a Prefex but the shock was much harder to get into the spot. I am curious to know, do you guys feel the angle of my axle is too much? I can always remove the front prefex mount and go in the OEM mount which would angle the shock out more but I want best of both worlds, lol. If I go in the OEM mount I’ll have to widen the lower mount since the shock mount is about 2-3mm wider. 

Another thing to note, with the front jacked letting the front hang, I can’t turn the tire, I would assume that’s because the excessive angle on the shafts which lock it up? Which then softens up once the bike is on level ground.

Ive set them on the second preload level.. 

Thoughts? 

02C4728F-05B5-42C2-8247-8975C54E6785.jpeg
00292597-7129-4848-B627-EBFBBED1CB09.jpeg

Axle angle doesn't look bad to me.  I've seen a lot more angle on a lot of machines.

Try it out.  If you don't like it, or it causes any problems, then you can drop the lower eyelet a spot.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Axle angle doesn't look bad to me.  I've seen a lot more angle on a lot of machines.

Try it out.  If you don't like it, or it causes any problems, then you can drop the lower eyelet a spot.

Won't work with the middle eylet friend. Due to the size of the lower shock mount and the collar that comes with the Prefex it won't clear in the middle hole.

Pushing the shocks up/down they certainly seem more plush. Very curious how it rides!

• Like 1

So here is a couple better photos of the fronts. I’m inexperienced when it comes to this, how do these look @jeepwm69? Too steep?

189B8891-DE90-4259-A422-30A00FC434E9.jpeg

7D188805-94FE-4174-9D65-B1B9BA53D311.jpeg

Is that with it on the ground?

Doesn’t look much different than any of mine that are lifted

On 1/31/2021 at 6:48 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Is that with it on the ground?

Doesn’t look much different than any of mine that are lifted

Yes that’s on the ground. I find the boot seems quite stretch and angled down?

14 hours ago, freebo86 said:

Yes that’s on the ground. I find the boot seems quite stretch and angled down?

I would gently ride it a bit and see if it seems to be binding up, or difficult to turn.

It is level now?  Seems like with the new shocks AND the lift it might be squatting like stupid people do with their trucks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I would gently ride it a bit and see if it seems to be binding up, or difficult to turn.

It is level now?  Seems like with the new shocks AND the lift it might be squatting like stupid people do with their trucks.

Yah doesnt feel right. It’s just feel ackward, just pushing it I hear a pop which I think is coming from the CV area.. I think if I’d remove the prefex it may help. But it’s perfectly level, looks pretty sweet actually but I think it’s hard on the CV. 

A4AEEBEC-9854-42CF-AE67-DB604D70D685.jpeg

Edited by freebo86

Well, since you didn't get much lift on the front from the perfex, take that off and see how it looks with just the CTE shocks on the front.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:55 PM, ATC4ever said:

Is this any help? Might be kinda late, can always switch to rear shocks.
2005 Honda FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER FourTrax Foreman Rubicon 500 GPScape TRX500FGA Parts Diagram: (bikebandit.com)

You mean stick rears in the front? I measured, their the same length as the CTE shocks. So I don’t think it would help me I’d still be getting the CV angle. 

10 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well, since you didn't get much lift on the front from the perfex, take that off and see how it looks with just the CTE shocks on the front.

Valid point. I guess I could remove the prefex, to gain height with CTE shocks but I’d lose the ride  improvement by getting rid of the prefex upfront. How much does the prefex really improve upfront? I find it hard to notice. 

lower shock eyelets are a little wider than the mount on the A-Arm so I’d have to widen it a tad to slide them in.. 

Edited by freebo86

Honestly the front of the perfex isn’t really any different than any other lift. The rear is what improves the ride.

Since you should have enough lift AND the better ride with the CTE’s, I’d try taking the front of the perfex off.

I wasnt sure if you wanted front or rear shocks, but i meant you could switch the screen/page to rear shocks. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:25 AM, ATC4ever said:

I wasnt sure if you wanted front or rear shocks, but i meant you could switch the screen/page to rear shocks. 

oh gotcha! Yah I didn’t understand what ya meant lol. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:50 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Honestly the front of the perfex isn’t really any different than any other lift. The rear is what improves the ride.

Since you should have enough lift AND the better ride with the CTE’s, I’d try taking the front of the perfex off.

Valid point. I think I’ll take your recommendation and give this a try. I’ll put it on my To-Do list lol

• Like 1