WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

Weight Loss, becoming more lean, etc.  It all should really mean the same, regardless of the words we use as we know the pure weight isn't the real issue.

I've been up and down, like many others.  I had a few surgeries in a row and allowed myself to get up to 290 lbs.  You may not know that if we were in person as I carry it a bit differently.  Recently I had to stop training for a boxing match (I box amateur, Masters USA Boxing) due to the stress I was recently putting on a recently cleaned out right knee.  I backed out of my March 12th match and am not focused on getting down to about 240 lbs and will again start training for a match.  Meanwhile, I'm not just staying at home but still doing the activities I need to do, just not as frequent.  I would say where I would go in for eight sessions a week, four of those were to spar or to run the bags (simulate rounds) or otherwise to up the conditioning and other benefits.  The other sessions were either weight lifting or skill work.  Shadow boxing was daily.  The scale is just a general guide and I'm not overly focused on it BUT it is a tremendous gauge to how things are going.  Assuming I get down to 240 lbs I'd have to switch from the scale to the mirror to see where I should land.  201+ is the heaviest weight classification and I don't THINK I can get that low and sustain it, but I won't really know until I get down there.  Most likely I'll land around 230 lbs and be a good bodyfat %.

So ... that's a brief background.  I'm down to 278 lbs as of this morning.  All I've really done is reduce my night snacking (fresh cookies are an issue) and tried to reduce how many calories I drink.  I WILL drink some calories while at deer camp or a camping outing, but outside of that I need to remove it.

I'm challenging all here to improve their bodyfat and fitness.  I'd even go as far as to host a little contest to add a small incentive.  That's what this thread is really about.  We would make the loss % be the marker as pure numbers are a bit unfair for some.  Maybe you aren't as overweight as I am, maybe you just want to drop 5 or 10?  Super!

I'd track the numbers and report back and keep you anonymous.  Some want it that way, others don't care.

Whose in?  Maybe each drop a few dollars in and the winner gets a gift card or something, who knows?

Proposed Rules <- Give me input on this

Everything is on the honor of the participant.

Contest will be based on % lost

Contest to run until mid-July, or some other time.

Contestants can remain anonymous, but I will have to know who you are in order to track.

Weekly, Monday check-ins.

If no check in, then participant gets the most recent numbers.

Use the same scale each week.

The outcome of getting healthier should be enough, but a little prize never hurts, either.  We may put a small amount in the kitty if that helps.

What else?

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 2

I'm in. 

Ex left me for the personal trainer.  I was 5' 10", about 215.  Wore 38x30 pants.  That was 2009.  I was lucky (and very stressed) during the divorce, but ended up getting custody of my two daughters who were 4 and 5 at the time.

Weight came off due to stress, and at my new job we are allowed 30 mins a day in the gym (on site).  I worked up to 5 miles/day most days on the elliptical and would do upper body weights a couple of days a week.

I got down to 178 at one point.  Was wearing 32's.  I'm built thick and have a big head, so at that weight I honestly looked a little disproportionate.   I need to be about 185 though.

I upgraded in 2014, wife got pregnant, and with the arrival of new baby I was up around 200 again.  Since then I've blown up and am back to 215.

I actually hit the gym for the first time in over a year last week.  I had to start off at 2 miles on the elliptical and knock the resistance down from my old usual setting to be able to do that.

I like to eat, and I hate working out, but I don't drink as much as I used to so I have that going for me. 

Big difference in working out at 45 than 10 years ago.  I'm going to try to stick with and hopefully get back at least under 200.

I've always been "big boned" as we say here in the South, and I ran cross country in high school.  With my build that wasn't a good thing, and I trashed my knees.  Had one scoped at 21 and the doc told me that I'd need knee replacements when i was older, and that if I kept running it would be sooner, rather than later.  Thus the elliptical.  I hate it, but I'll do that for cardio before I invite knee replacements sooner.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm in. 

Ex left me for the personal trainer.  I was 5' 10", about 215.  Wore 38x30 pants.  That was 2009.  I was lucky (and very stressed) during the divorce, but ended up getting custody of my two daughters who were 4 and 5 at the time.

Stress and busy life is a killer when it comes to personal health.

I'll be 53 in March.  Do not let this older guy outdo you in this contest.  <- There, that's how I help motivate.

What do you think that stakes should be?  Simple $5 in, just to have some money in the game, or something else?

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 1

Make it $10.  Don't want to make it too expensive for people to join, but I want to at least be unable to buy a "value meal" on any given day if I lose.  LOL

Whatever you think.  If you want to keep it on $5 and bragging rights, that's ok too.  I ALWAYS lose when I gamble, even when I can control the end result, but I gotta get this gut back down to size.

Rules <- Give me input on this

Everything is on the honor of the participant.

Contestants can remain anonymous, but I will have to know who you are in order to track.

If no check in, then participant gets the most recent numbers.

The outcome of getting healthier should be enough, but a little prize never hurts, either.  We may put a small amount in the kitty if that helps.

What else?

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Make it $10.  Don't want to make it too expensive for people to join, but I want to at least be unable to buy a "value meal" on any given day if I lose.  LOL

Whatever you think.  If you want to keep it on $5 and bragging rights, that's ok too.  I ALWAYS lose when I gamble, even when I can control the end result, but I gotta get this gut back down to size.

$10 works, but I'd like more input on this.

A very interesting one even had a schedule after the contest ended to make sure it was kept off.  As this contest ends, maybe we will do a "Keep it off" thing.

33 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

$10 works, but I'd like more input on this.

A very interesting one even had a schedule after the contest ended to make sure it was kept off.  As this contest ends, maybe we will do a "Keep it off" thing.

Oh now you're not playing fair!  LOL

Wife and I are trying to have another kid, and while she's exercising and trying to eat better now, you know how it is around a pregnant woman!

35 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Rules <- Give me input on this

The outcome of getting healthier should be enough, but a little prize never hurts, either.  We may put a small amount in the kitty if that helps.  Maybe a payout on who wins the week, who is ahead cumulatively, and whatever.  Not sure.  Can't get too complicated.

What else?

I'd say % lost, summer is good (going to the beach in July, so need to have it off by then).

Weekly check in is good.

I'd just do one thing at the end.  If we start getting into weekly/ multiple awards it's gonna get complicated real fast.

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Oh now you're not playing fair!  LOL

Wife and I are trying to have another kid, and while she's exercising and trying to eat better now, you know how it is around a pregnant woman!

I can see that I'm going to be $10 richer!

• Haha 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

I'd say % lost, summer is good (going to the beach in July, so need to have it off by then).

Weekly check in is good.

I'd just do one thing at the end.  If we start getting into weekly/ multiple awards it's gonna get complicated real fast.

Yes, complicated so we can remove that.  I could track it and make it all automated, but no need to get into that.  On a larger scale it leads to people doing unhealthy things to win a week.  I would prefer a participant to get on a steady course and lose it correctly, whatever that may mean.

30 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Yes, complicated so we can remove that.  I could track it and make it all automated, but no need to get into that.  On a larger scale it leads to people doing unhealthy things to win a week.  I would prefer a participant to get on a steady course and lose it correctly, whatever that may mean.

My old job we had a pool like this.  $20 buy in.

The boss's son (HUGE company, had about 40K apts, 40 golf courses, and big in real estate in NW Arkansas) was famous for taking exlax and starving himself (food and water) in the days leading up to the final weigh-in.

Right now few of us at work have a $100 buy in. Who can finish or make it the longest wins the pot. Challenge is in 2 weeks. Not. Along time to be ready. Yesterday first attempt I made 1.35sec. Song is 3.30secs. I weigh around 180lbs. 

I like ur guys plan. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

Right now few of us at work have a $100 buy in. Who can finish or make it the longest wins the pot. Challenge is in 2 weeks. Not. Along time to be ready. Yesterday first attempt I made 1.35sec. I weigh around 180lbs. 

I like ur guys plan. 

Are you in?

I like these kinds of challenges.  We did a modified version of the old Army PT test in one we did.  These days people have jacked up shoulder, etc. so we would have to think about how to do this.

• Like 1

Absolutely I’m in! My plan is to walk away few hundred dollars richer!! Lol. 

8 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Absolutely I’m in! My plan is to walk away few hundred dollars richer!! Lol. 

Excellent!  We will just have to get enough people involved to have a few hundred dollars!

Maybe we have some auxiliary parts of this, like the basic % Weight Loss and the additional push-up or whatever contest.

Lol. I thought u were asking if I was in at work haha

Ill get in with u guys too, however I have no weight to loose or I’ll be just bones. But if ur doing any challenges... I’d be interested!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Lol. I thought u were asking if I was in at work lol.. 

Ill get in with u guys too, however I have no weight to loose or I’ll be just bones. But if ur doing any challenges... I’d be interested!

Got it!  Challenges.  I hope to get some in on those.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

10-4.

I'm still going to work on it.  Haven't missed a day yet this week.

Same here, but I go two days on, one day off.  I have a knee/leg issue and it forces me to give things a break.

I haven't tried weights again yet.  Been doing 2-2.5 miles on the elliptical.  Had to turn the resistance down to make it so far......🤮

I took yesterday off. So I started my challenge at 1.03. Worked my up to 1.43. Today I put down a 2.10!!!!! All I have to complete is 3.30!!

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

I took yesterday off. So I started my challenge at 1.03. Worked my up to 1.43. Today I put down a 2.10!!!!! All I have to complete is 3.30!!

Those numbers mean?

I do a combo of weight training and other training.

For weight training I have some numbers I feel I need to hit, and then won't go above.  I'll post some video here and there as I like to film things here and there to make sure my form is good.

Lower Body

Lower Body #1: For trap bar squats/deads, my next number to hit is 405, which is four 45's on each side.  I'll get there in the not too distant future.

Lower Body #2: I do traditional deadlifts & squats, though they lag behind my trap bar things.  I don't PUSH hard on these, but my numbers do rise.  I'm careful on all lifts but I'm cautious on these.

Upper Body

I do very little direct bicep/tricep work as they get hit with everything else.

I alternate dumbell presses for flat and incline with barbell flat and incline.  One workout I do one, next workout I do the other.

When doing a chest, I superset with a back.  I'm working towards chins, but until then I use a good machine to pull down, and also various rows.

Fitness Training

I box amateur (USA Boxing) so I shadowbox five days a week.  While it's activity, it doesn't push my conditioning.  My knee/leg won't allow skip rope so I don't do that.

I spar on Tuesday mornings for someone else's session, and also Friday evenings.  On Tuesday morning I'm there to serve the other and they are a beginner so I experience very little impact above the neck.  On Friday that's different.  It's controlled sparring so you aren't getting pounded.  The sparring DOES push your fitness and is really an indicator of how well you are conditioned.

To increase my conditioning, I use my bike trainer (Winter), outdoor biking (not Winter), some fitness boxing classes in which I actually work on my boxing, and if I have days I need to do more I do rounds on the bag.  For the rounds on the bag I use the timer for 3 minutes fight (the bags) and 1 minute rest.  USA Amateur just does two minutes fighting so I add a minute to push it.  I wear my headgear and mouthpiece and get into fight-mode.  I use several of the bags, each with a different purpose.  The first one is the first part of a round, which is typically setup.  Second is a "in and out" meaning I go in, do a combination, and get back out.  Third is jabbing, and the fourth is the final seconds of the round where things are aggressive.  I go through the bags sortof randomly and then when 30 seconds is left I get to the last bag and press a bit, then at 10 seconds I slug it out.  I do this workout until I can go hard for 9 rounds, which is triple what I'd do in a fight.  If I can't do it for 9 rounds, I'm not ready.  Maybe I'll film this at some point if people want to see it.

One would think with all this activity I'd drop some fat.  It's my eating habits I need to control, that's the only issue.

• Like 2