WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

38 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i watched your virdeo, that farmers walk ....i know that one real well, i do that all the time while moving wood, so i reckon, I'm somewhat of a weight lifter ? the squats, well, i would fail there, i use my back more then lifting the right way, and i have been told many times, lift with legs and not your back, I'll have to keep that in mind, it's hard to break old habits, most likely why i had such back back pain a while   ago. 

The Farmer's walk is named that for a good reason, it replicates real world work, such as you moving that wood.  I try to do functional, compound movements, to replicate what is needed in real life and the things that I do.  Of course I do some isolated movements to fill in where necessary.  Picking up a weight and carrying it is universal.  Hauling wood would set you up nicely to perform this movement, because its roots are what you are already doing.

As far as lifting with the back, it's easy to do and you have to focus to not do it.  My dad (actual dad, Ohio) would give me heck LOUDLY to drive that home.  Him being a journeyman welder he was around too many people who would ruin or just injure themselves by not doing it right.  Even then, I have to give myself cues when I approach a bar and hope I don't get out of whack.

I'm doing my trap bar squats with 315 lbs now, and the farmer's walks with the same.  While I'm cutting calories I'm not concerned with improving on those numbers, but trying to stay the same to ensure I'm not losing lean muscle trying to not be such a fatass.

• Like 1

The Farmer's walk is named that for a good reason, it replicates real world work, such as you moving that wood.  I try to do functional, compound movements, to replicate what is needed in real life and the things that I do.  Of course I do some isolated movements to fill in where necessary.  Picking up a weight and carrying it is universal.  Hauling wood would set you up nicely to perform this movement, because its roots are what you are already doing.

i see, i do alot of stepping over over down trees while having the logs in my arms, so far it's worked well, so i reckon I'm doing something right, but that being said, i do have some knee issues, what i have to do is just stop in my tacks, so I'll have to work on that, most times it's weight over 100bls when that happens, it's not pain, just a a feeling of being being un balanced. 

As far as lifting with the back, it's easy to do and you have to focus to not do it.  My dad (actual dad, Ohio) would give me heck LOUDLY to drive that home.  Him being a journeyman welder he was around too many people who would ruin or just injure themselves by not doing it right.  Even then, I have to give myself cues when I approach a bar and hope I don't get out of whack

i agree, I'm so used to lifting with my back, it's  just a hard habit to break, i like you have heard my pop, and friends, tell me, YOUR LIFTING WRONG  and you will feel it later when your older, which i did for a short time, so now with that thought of being down in my back (in my head) stays with me, good reminder i reckon, lol, bout time i beef back up some. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

On 3/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, Fishfiles said:

If you think the bull is tuff un-sober , you need to ride 4 wheelers thru ruts with us  ....

You can say that again.  Yesterday I had my first "you know, power steering would be nice to have right now" moment ever on a 4wheeler. 

Buddy and I went out to see how high the water is.  The trick was, I had the little one on the wheeler with me, so I had to steer all day with ONLY my right arm (left arm was around the kid, who was on the seat in front of me).  Few places we went the UTV's have left some good ruts too.

I'm sore today. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You can say that again.  Yesterday I had my first "you know, power steering would be nice to have right now" moment ever on a 4wheeler. 

Buddy and I went out to see how high the water is.  The trick was, I had the little one on the wheeler with me, so I had to steer all day with ONLY my right arm (left arm was around the kid, who was on the seat in front of me).  Few places we went the UTV's have left some good ruts too.

I'm sore today. 

I seen a cool deal on Facebook for strapping in and  riding kids in front of you  on a bicycle , would be something to make for a ATV , did you happen to see that add before you quit the fakebook seine  , could give you a link when I find it again 

Oh yea , power steering is for wussies !!! LOL 

• Like 1

No, but someone suggested that to me when I was whining at work yesterday.

Yesterday I had one of the teenagers drive me out to my buddies camp.  Poured a big cup of scotch and started home on the Rubicon (which he rode on to his camp when we were out Sunday).  Much better today.  I guess normal riding without a parasite riding along worked out the kinks. LOL

• Like 2

10 Weeks out from my next fight.  This morning's sparring session with five other (six total) fighters.  We go three minute rounds, switching the partner each minute.  You do that for an hour.  Sometimes you don't cycle back in for a few minutes so you get a rest.  Here in this photo you see that I have tissue paper stuck up my nose as I caught an overhand right by the guy with the beard behind me.

The people in this photo have varying degrees of experience and abilities.  The guy taking the photo and the one peeking in from my left (red shirt) could take me at any time, but the others aren't like that.  Kudos to the lady to my right (grey shirt) for her first sparring session, she's a warrior and wanted more than she should have at this point.  I let her beat on me a bit so she got the feeling of hitting someone hard (for her).

Below is my schedule.  I go harder or lighter depending on how my knees are feeling.

Monday: S&C 6:30 am, Shadowboxing then skill work 5:30 pm

Tuesday: Shadowboxing then skill work 5:30 pm

Wednesday: S&C (auxiliary) 6:30 am

Thursday: Sparring 10 am, Shadowboxing then skill work 5:30 pm

Friday: S&C 6:30 am, Fight Camp (includes sparring) 6 PM
Saturday: I work on what I feel needs it, but always includes Shadowboxing 10 am

Sunday: Nothing

I'm the one in the middle with the green sparring gloves @ 250 lbs.

169138216_10164960129040304_501450276832934875_n.jpg

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 2

I'm still sticking to the "old man machine" ie the eliptical.  Have worked my way up to 3 miles a day now (Mon-Fri at least).  I've been eating a lot of salads with grilled chicken on them (my sister is a caterer, and I grill the chicken for her chef's salads that she sells, so every Tuesday night I grill 50-60 chicken breasts).

Haven't lost a stinking pound.  I do feel a lot better, and have more energy, but I guess my metabolism at 45 isn't what it was when I went from 215 to 180 10 years ago, doing the same routine.

I'm going to start slowly mixing in some weight training. 

Looking good MW.  Kick some butt.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 8:36 PM, WonderMonkey said:

I would think that riding a bull, or a bucking bronco, would eventually give one shoulder issues.

I had some ropers in the family, but obviously that isn't riding on top of a bucking animal.

i rode race horses off an on for 10 years. i never came off the left side of a horse, the right side, i lost track at about 150 times, i always landed on my back. dont know how, just did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

i rode race horses off an on for 10 years. i never came off the left side of a horse, the right side, i lost track at about 150 times, i always landed on my back. dont know how, just did.

That's the kind of consistency that you may not want.

• Like 2

guess it worked for me, cept the tossing on the ground part. that comes with riding horses. i got to 123lbs on the weight. i was coming down from 138. soon my 29 waist jeans will fit..

the secret is when ya aint hungry, quit eating. just eat enough to stop that hunger. plus ya can cheat by eating salad, an stuff... junk that will fill ya up, without adding lbs.. it dont hurt to exercise, it helps. work aint the same as exercise.  exercise is with a purpose, that is different from work. if ya dont know this, i cant explain it to ya.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, WonderMonkey said:

it worked for me. i always landed better

its the kind that worked for me, for the most part. its not for everybody..

i never did like landing on the ground.

Edited by LedFTed

On 4/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, LedFTed said:

anyone that is confused by this can ask questions. be careful, i just might answer.. 😀

got to 123, might as well shoot for 120...

Edited by LedFTed

On 4/24/2021 at 2:44 AM, LedFTed said:

anyone that is confused by this can ask questions. be careful, i just might answer.. 😀

got to 123, might as well shoot for 120...

I don't THINK I'm confused by it, but then again, I may not know.  The only confusing part is that I didn't know that involuntary exits from a race horse happened that often.  If that's what we are talking about.

• Like 1

the 1st year; 99 times. 2 year old horses cause ya problems, anything they see they start bucking. see a deer, ya can get bucked off. i hate genneys,  running across the track. those birds wait till your right up on them, then run across the track, make a lot of noise. the horse that stomped me was a two year old. somebody made a loud noise in the tack room. i took three times around the shed row, before the filly bucked. female horses got to think a while before they cut loose on ya....

i been tossed on the ground an dont remember it.. i remember that time though. it was different. i knew she was going to act up. i pulled my stirrups up, so my legs were down. center of balance thing,

the trainer told me to use the stirrups. it was a Dale moment, i knew if i kept my feet in the stirrups, when the bucking started, i would get hung up. i did. an i finally got the right boot out of the stirrup, an i pushed off, landed on my back, the filly did a 180, stomped my rib-cage.  if i hadent kicker her in the right back leg it would have been worst. as it was, for 19 years, i had trouble sleeping on my left side.

before that i could sleep on my stomach.

i had 4 compound fractures of 3 ribs, a punctured lung, an a bruised spleen. + found out what a dimerall drip is. i went back to riding. but i could see the writing on the wall, a husband and wife team, were at the other farm, they got a Mexican hurt by a horse that was in the stall for two weeks, it broke his jaw an more.. too much energy for the horse, was not a good horse anyway.. + they let a girl walk a horse she had no business walking, she got kicked, got a broken arm.. was time for me too move.. and i did.. away from getting broke up. i do have a pain between the shoulder blades, or a tingling numbness, it might involve riding race horses. or not.

Wow.  I never knew that's how it was.  Sounds ..... fun?  That is a whole bunch of exiting a horse!  No doubt you have some damage rolling around in your body.

• Haha 1

Dang Ted.  That sounds rough!  I'll bet you have some aches and pains that would put mine to shame.

• Like 1

Wonder ' I know you like fighting , seen this video and thought you might like it ,  Mike was a brutal fighter , eh!!! 

This is pretty good , I have a totally different view of Mike after seeing it , " don't mess with Mike's bird " 

In the end , at the end of this video  , Mike got cocky and it cost him in the end  !!  Moral : don't get cocky and bite an ear !!! 

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Dang Ted.  That sounds rough!  I'll bet you have some aches and pains that would put mine to shame.

cept that time i got stomped in the chest, that lasted for 19 years. my horse day pains are most gone.. still got a bit between my shoulder blades, that crop up now an then.. i was, and may have pain from a slip on the steps, that caused sciatica, but even that is losing, the pain.. the physical therapy, was helping some, and causing more pain some.. the stretches, some worked, i think some caused the pain to be worst.. so i concentrated on the ones that worked, an made up some of my own.. i cant promise the ones i made up, will help out anyone else, but they helped me.

1 simple one, was to arch the back, IE, it pushes your stomach forward,, an just sit on the couch,, work your back muscles, as you lean forward,. you can feel it working. its a simple thing to do... its those two muscles, as tenderloins.. round about.. they run from below the belt line to the base of your skull along both sides of the spine.. 

i got 3 or so Lbs to go.. 125 is still to much, 120, is the new goal. thats just a thing, for my size.. i aint starving, or anything, nor flipping food. [jockey thing for some], also i aint anorexic.. just getting back to my size. the goodnews is the last time i got measured in height, i was 5'2.5,, so i gained a half an inch... hopefully the inversion table, will help stretch me out. i dont expect to get much taller., 🙂

i/2 an inch would be nice.. 😀 i suppose i would need the rack for that though..

Edited by LedFTed
just because
  • Like 1

Received an invite to my next fight, which is August 13th or 14th, and the one is September is cancelled.  I've decided that this will be my last fight.  If I eventually get my knee(s) replaced and still have an interest in fighting in the ring, I'll do that.  Regardless of intending to fight after August, I'll still minimally train for it, as I enjoy it.

So .... my new workout plan is as follows:

Everyday except Sunday - Shadowbox

Monday

8 AM - Strength & Conditioning with a coach

PM - Skill work with stable

PM II - This depends on if I need to fill in any gaps from earlier in the day.  If I'm done already, I go home.  If not, I do whatever.

Tuesday

Elliptical work, probably an hour, to keep the blood pumping and flush out muscles

Wednesday

10:30 am - One on one boxing skill work with a coach

PM - Skill work with stable

PM II - This depends on if I need to fill in any gaps from earlier in the day.  If I'm done already, I go home.  If not, I do whatever.

Thursday

Elliptical work, probably an hour, to keep the blood pumping and flush out muscles

Friday

PM - Fight Camp

Saturday

AM - I work on whatever strength and conditioning I feel needs work.

PM - I go back in and go hard on ring stamina

Sunday - Lay on couch

I'll modify the above as needed, but that's my basic plan.  I'm 250 lbs right now and will probably fight at 240 lbs.

As of this morning, I don't like my opponent.  Seconds after the fight, I'll like him again.  I'll barely speak to him, though I'll be cordial.  I refuse to spar against him.  He messed up and agreed to fight me, so it's his fault.  That's my attitude.

• Like 2

As some of you know, my fight was cancelled.  The entire event was.  At that time, people were able to travel more and not enough in-house people would commit to a fight.  We always have other gyms involved but we want enough from our place to participate.  My next fight is November 20th.

I took advantage of the fight being cancelled to nurse a few nagging injuries back to health.  I still have my knee issues, but those won't ever heal.  At best I'll do another round of clean-outs to extend the date where I'll need to have one or both replaced.  I could do it NOW (or after the fight), but I don't feel it's necessary just yet.  I have regular chats with my ortho so when I next go back in we will have our normal discussions about things.

I'm almost two weeks away from the official 10-week fight camp.  A few days ago I did my last "heavy day" (for me) lifting and will move towards more conditioning and increased skill work.

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 3

it's about time you pushed this thread up..... pardon me if you will, but at least you left out es shifting issues.... i know i know, i should be shot.... lol! shade.... not a word from you.... lol! i feel a ban coming soon.... sigh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

it's about time you pushed this thread up..... pardon me if you will, but at least you left out es shifting issues.... i know i know, i should be shot.... lol! shade.... not a word from you.... lol! i feel a ban coming soon.... sigh. 

ES shifting issues?  What?  That is a HOT TOPIC and is perpetuated by the media!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2