WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

Today I started full-on fight camp prep.  It turns out the first actual Friday Night Fight camp, where everybody (that can be) is there, is this next Friday.  I've been ramping my efforts up and today did a full individual workout.  Typically if I'm doing a boxing workout on my own I'll fully warmup then do 100 wall-balls, if you know what those are.  Those are to really make sure my body is warmed up and the knees are as greased as possible.  After that I'll do my shadowboxing routine, which is always evolving.  Next I'll do technical work on a heavybag.  I'll end with 9 rounds of fight-mode using a certain intensity.  I'll explain this below.

To make sure I'm in shape for a fight, in addition to any sparring I fight the heavybags.  We have several hanging and I'll assign something to each of them.  When the bell rings (I use an app on my phone bluetoothed to some earphones) I go to the first bag and work my way in, feinting and feeling out the jab.  The second bag I'll setup then do a 3-4 punch combo then get out.  I'll do that a few times.  The third bag I'll make sure I win the round by being active and making sure the judges see that I'm in charge.  Ding, round is over.  I'll repeat that 9 times.

I do the above for 1 minute rounds to start, with medium intensity.  As the weeks go on, I'll increase the time, and increase the intensity.  My goal is to go full-out for 9 rounds of three minutes four weeks before the fight.  If I can't do that, I've mis-timed my efforts and probably messed up my recovery (from workouts) efforts.  If I CAN do that, I'm on track and go even harder.

After my 9 rounds, I do just a bit of jump rope.  I have to be careful with that because of my knees.  I have to have enough energy to focus and land with great form on the mats, so I won't be too harsh on the old-man joints.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

do 100 wall-balls, if you know what those are.

i had to go look that one up...... is that what the call the heavy ball ? 

thats a real extensive exercise you described up in your other post ^^^^ i take it you use those knee wraps all the time while doing the training etc etc ? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i had to go look that one up...... is that what the call the heavy ball ? 

thats a real extensive exercise you described up in your other post ^^^^ i take it you use those knee wraps all the time while doing the training etc etc ? 

Heavy ball, med ball, etc.  In the CrossFit environment, which popularized the movement, they use a med ball, which is short for medicine ball.  Why do they call it a medicine ball?  See this link if you want to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_ball

Wallballs are a tremendous exercise that encompasses many things, but a very important key is your form.  Can't use old-school squat technique, as that puts tremendous pressure on the knee joints.  Instead, use what evolved from the powerlifting squat which spreads the stress out and is more biomechanically correct.  Again, thank Crossfit for pushing that into the general population.

As for the knee wraps, I put those on during the drive to the gym and keep them on until I get home.  They do provide a bit of stability but moreso I'm looking for them to keep the knees very warm, which keeps them lubricated.  I know right away if I have not done enough to get them warmed up.  If I feel pain I stop and warmup more and tell myself what an idiot I am.  I warm up the lower body with a series of various lunges (using good form), leg swings (front/back, side/side with the toe forward), etc.  Not only are my knees getting warmed up, my ankles, calves, hams/quads, hips and lower back are all involved.  Between warmup sets I'll go over to our bar rig and do mobility on my shoulders, which gets my lats ready to go.  I consider the 100 wallballs part of my warmup.  When I get done with everything in this paragraph I'm ready for anything lower body related, to include my boxing workouts.

When I first started to do wallballs as part of my warmup, it took away some energy from what came next.  However, I felt they were so necessary to get my body fully ready to go that I just kept at them.  First I did 10 sets of 10, which extended my warmup period beyond 30 minutes.  I'm now up to 4 sets of 25 using a 9 lb ball.  I'll stay at 4x25.  A 9 lb ball isn't that heavy but warming up is my purpose.

It takes a full 20-30 minutes to get really warmed up, depending on who I stop to talk to while I'm doing it.  While I'm warming up I mentally prepare myself for what I'm getting ready to do.

• Like 3

Speaking of squat technique, when I started to do Crossfit a number of years ago, I stepped into a box (gym) that was very strict on technique.  Back then Crossfit experienced many injuries due to crappy form but luckily this box wasn't like that.  Crossfit, since its inception, has grown up and evolved, and except for terrible coaches, focuses on strict form.  Anyway, a good Crossfit movement is based on Oly (Olympic) movements.  As they were re-teaching me how to squat, it really made sense.  And not just squat with weight on your back, to just squat down, be it sitting on a chair or picking up a stump or whatever.  Even now when I put my kayak overhead to load it on my Jeep I use a good clean and press technique.  It makes people laugh in how different it appears, but I like protecting my back, etc.

So back to the box.  When I first started there they ran me (and all new people) through an evaluation and started to fix form.  In time I was allowed to do things under load (weight) but even then if my form got wonky they would take the weight and give me a pvc pipe to use until my form improved.  I liked that as it stressed how important form was.  When you change your form, either you immediately drop in the weight you can handle or you suddenly increase in the weight you can handle.  Which way you go depends on what part of your form is terrible and needs improvement.

When our dads and coaches would yell "Lift with your legs!" they meant to not lift with crappy form and screw up your back.  If our dads could have been taken aside and taught even better form, that generation of people could have been spared some of the back issues they got from having to work do ! hard with physical labor.

• Like 4

To go further .....

Three days a week I'll train with weights.  I always focus on hamstrings and hips, as hamstrings are my weak point (as it is with most people).  I'll not go any heavier than I currently can do and I'll actually drop back and do more reps.  In a Strength & Conditioning approach, I maintain Strength and increase Conditioning.  Below is typical on my S&C days.

5:30 am

20-30 minute warmup

10x10 compound lower body like a trap bar squat

3x10 isolation for hammies like a stiff-legged deadlift or a GHD

I'll superset the hamstring isolation with warmups for upper body

Push/Pull press/row like dumbell press and cable row

Push/Pull press/row like incline dumbell press and chins (assisted)

I don't do any direct bicep or tricep work

I end with loaded carries of some sort

I try to be done by 7 am.  This makes me keep things brisk.  I only have so much energy reserves and I will also come back that evening for boxing skill work, but light.  On days I don't do S&C, I go harder on the boxing skills and movements.

• Like 2

you have this down to a fine science (thumbs up) so the wraps help with keeping the knees lubed up ? I'll have to read over all those post again... not as this is related much, but i was having pains from right and left hands, and purchased tommy fit copper gloves, and was / am impressed with the results, i believe i asked you once or twice had you ever tried there knee wraps, strange thing is ..... more and more companies are producing copper fit support items, i got a tommy knee wrap for my dad, and he used it for a short, time, but after his heart attacks (mild) he lost alot weight (doctors orders) and now doesn't use it as much, but he did tell me it helped while he did use it. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you have this down to a fine science (thumbs up) so the wraps help with keeping the knees lubed up ? I'll have to read over all those post again... not as this is related much, but i was having pains from right and left hands, and purchased tommy fit copper gloves, and was / am impressed with the results, i believe i asked you once or twice had you ever tried there knee wraps, strange thing is ..... more and more companies are producing copper fit support items, i got a tommy knee wrap for my dad, and he used it for a short, time, but after his heart attacks (mild) he lost alot weight (doctors orders) and now doesn't use it as much, but he did tell me it helped while he did use it. 

The wraps I use, the neoprene ones, help keep them WARM, as in temperature.  Maybe they are better known as sleeves?  A normal WRAP does two things.  It compresses the area that is wrapped and gives stability to the knee and it also, in certain applications, slightly restricts blood flow.  The restricting blood flow thing is a special technique that doesn't apply to what I do, but those that go very heavy know all about it.  I don't go as heavy as they do, just heavy for ME.

Here are the type of knee supports that I use.  I certainly have them snug, but heat retention is my primary goal.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rehband-rx-7-mm-original-v-knee-sleeve

When I do a hardcore boxing workout with lots of movement, I wear a brace on my right knee.  It has a metal hinge on the inside and outside of my knee.  THAT is designed to help with lateral movement of the knee.

I am undecided if the benefit that the copperfit type sleeves help because of the copper, or because of the compression.  I ALSO have compression sleeves that aren't neoprene like my daily ones and occasionally I'll wear them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I am undecided if the benefit that the copperfit type sleeves help because of the copper, or because of the compression.  I ALSO have compression sleeves that aren't neoprene like my daily ones and occasionally I'll wear them.

i too am not sure, but when i purchased mine ... that was all the rave back then... copper this, copper that, maybe it was the compression of the gloves ? I've have to do more research on it... but i do have a nice set of gloves. so not too bad...and they do work whether it's the copper, or the compression..... I'd now think the compression. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i too am not sure, but when i purchased mine ... that was all the rave back then... copper this, copper that, maybe it was the compression of the gloves ? I've have to do more research on it... but i do have a nice set of gloves. so not too bad...and they do work whether it's the copper, or the compression..... I'd now think the compression. 

For whatever reason if they work, they work.  What if it's part mental?  That's ok, as long as it works.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

the mind is a wonderful thing

On 9/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

sorry, just getting to understand an OS. mint. the mind, like muscles waste, if not used. very few do, it takes work.

@WonderMonkey, after i got out of the service, 77, i had knee pain, that lasted for a while, left knee.. i guess it still does in a way. not so bad though. just standing, caused pain then. massage with planters peanut oil, helped though. there is a certain way to do this though. away from the heart, and depending on which limb. the arms can be included it this also.. i'll just give ya an example, of the left leg.. outside ya go cc., the inside ya go cw.,.. kinda like a clock. counter clock wise/clock wise. reversed on the right side.. my arms show the pattern.. on the left side, the hair of arms, points left, on the right, the hair points right.. i know this sounds a bit crazy, but is so..  when i was training to ride, i'd do 250 or so squats, skip rope 45 min., run a 1.5/8 of a mile. i never did break the wall running. did some other stuff. cant remember anymore.

with a horse, their hair points to the way to rub.

anyway now my left knee has a reflex,, that when you are trying to sleep, some signal, causes it to jerk., just when you are getting to sleep. happens on the left side,..most.. just when ya get into dream world, a bolt from the clouds strikes. [kinda seems elliptic].

i have to learn more about the squats. mine wernt regular squats, squats neither.

i use two in. wrap for the wrist, three in. for the elbow,?, never used four.  its disappointing that two inch, aint as long as it used to be. ya can work that stuff at the right length. 7 ft or more..

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LedFTed said:

if not used. very few do, it takes work.

some don't have the ability to.... which has become a big problem in this world. 

• Like 2

well,, most are taught what to think, instead of how the think. by the TV shows they grow up with, some by teaching of a narrative. indoctrination at pre-school levels. tiss terrible. i think kindergarten is overrated..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/21/2021 at 1:09 AM, LedFTed said:

well,, most are taught what to think, instead of how the think. by the TV shows they grow up with, some by teaching of a narrative. indoctrination at pre-school levels. tiss terrible. i think kindergarten is overrated..

Well babies go to kindergarten anymore, an IMO, they get brainwashed by some that teach, an arint ready mentally, the babies. i think they should be in a home environment, till at least 5, if not longer.  also, schools have a one size fits all way of teaching. that could be improved. im not quite sure where the us ranks on the world stage, but would not be surprised if its low. it should be the highest, an geared to the individual, instead of the group-think. a hard row to hoe, but well worth it.

Edited by LedFTed

Well; i been trying an old an true technique, for my knees. granted im only 66 or so, i been going up the stairs 1 step at a time, leading with the weak knee. slowly with each step. an i do the same going down. gets hard to remember one step at a time., but does show some promise for me.. slow is the key.. worked many years ago, riding race horses. repetition, did also.. was many years ago. i were 34 or less.

still, i stand behind planter's peanut oil. another matter.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 12:01 AM, LedFTed said:

Well; i been trying an old an true technique, for my knees. granted im only 66 or so, i been going up the stairs 1 step at a time, leading with the weak knee. slowly with each step. an i do the same going down. gets hard to remember one step at a time., but does show some promise for me.. slow is the key.. worked many years ago, riding race horses. repetition, did also.. was many years ago. i were 34 or less.

thought id update this; i was taking two seconds a step, sometimes three. up an down the steps facing forward or backwards. then i thought to do it sideways. was doing two steps at a time but had to go back too one. i was rushing it. i increased the times a day slowly.  it had so surprising effects on me. the left knee quit twitching when i was trying to sleep, [restless leg syndrome], and the other, my sciatic got better, the left side was bothering me an has been. i got more energy, having less pain. though i have also been taking Zeolite. that might have helped with the energy, also. i take that to detox the fuchi shot. i cant say to try Zeolite though and wont..

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 12:01 AM, LedFTed said:

That reminds me of the therapy that I'd do for a knee surgery.  Engages the muscles around the knee very nicely.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 3:47 PM, WonderMonkey said:

That reminds me of the therapy that I'd do for a knee surgery.  Engages the muscles around the knee very nicely.

i forgot to say something, earlier. on the zeolite. i was watching Russell Band on rumble. and thin all of a sudden, i could understand him. also, today, my knees were bothering me, i just bent my knees just a little bit, and i felt immediate relief. it took a while for i could walk right. i still dont recommend zeolite, but using the stairs i think helped loosen something up.

So .... how is everybody doing on whatever it is they have for exercise, weight loss (bodyfat %), and/or general body moving activities such as hiking or walking?  Personally, I have some different things I'm doing but I would prefer to hear first what YOU have going on.

I've been lazy as ! all winter.  Haven't gained any weight, actually lost about 5 lbs but that came off when I was sick, not from anything I did.

Covid stuck with me for a while as far as tiring easily, but now that spring has sprung and I'm working outside more I'm getting my energy back.

Digging out beaver dams every morning has been good exercise for the last few weeks.  I have intentions of getting back in the gym this week.  We'll see how that goes/ whether work will allow it.

10 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I've been lazy as ! all winter.  Haven't gained any weight, actually lost about 5 lbs but that came off when I was sick, not from anything I did.

Covid stuck with me for a while as far as tiring easily, but now that spring has sprung and I'm working outside more I'm getting my energy back.

Digging out beaver dams every morning has been good exercise for the last few weeks.  I have intentions of getting back in the gym this week.  We'll see how that goes/ whether work will allow it.

Good to see you are getting your energy back.  I would think that clearing the dams would be plenty of exercise/work.

Starting 2.5 weeks ago, my whole workout/activity changed.  My boxing matches kept getting canceled or delayed, so I put that aside until I get more of a guarantee.  I don't want my right knee to have to endure the training for no fight.  Since I put that aside I was able to up my weight training.  I also started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.  I like BJJ (no snickering!) because I can't just overwhelm someone with size and aggression, as that works greatly against me against someone that knows that they are doing.  I will have to increase my mobility and get good at technique.  I give some of the medium belts problems due to how I am, but if they are patient they take advantage of mistakes and submit me.  After 2.5 weeks I can say I really enjoy it.  Starting something at 54 that I suck at is actually a good feeling.  I get to learn new things.

As the weather lets up I'm also getting my bicycle out.  Due to new knee therapy, cortisone and gel injections, I'm able to ride.  I'll consistently build up some miles on that.  At first I just ride to get my body used to it, but soon I'll do training rides.  Intervals, increased pace, etc.  Just riding isn't my think unless it's with my wife.

As for my lifting, I focus on balancing my lower body, with my hamstrings, glutes and piriformis muscle being weaker in comparison, as is most of the world.  I've always gotten some lower body time in but the last 2.5 weeks I've been able to hit it harder.  Today was a max day and I was able to pull 400 lbs off the floor using a trap bar.  I'll use that max to redo my normal workout, which won't go over the mid 300's.

Here is the video my boxing coach took of today's lift.

• Like 1

I hurt my back watching that.  Gonna be laid up for a couple of weeks at the very least.

12 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I hurt my back watching that.  Gonna be laid up for a couple of weeks at the very least.

I'd file for short-term disability if I was you.

• Haha 1