WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

39 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Those numbers mean?

Minutes & seconds on the video challenge I posed few posts up!

• Like 1

Some people get up early and are productive, some people stay up late.  I'm a "stay up late" kind of guy.  Normally at 10 pm the family is in bed and I work on something productive.  The only thing this interferes with is being able to get in a workout early in the morning, as I'm still sleeping!

Today I agreed to meet with a guy I know and show him how to get into weight training.  He wants to get it in early in the morning, so that forces me to get up, get ready and be there when I said I would.  I woke up at 5:30 am to meet him at 6:30 am.

Today will be a simple lower body workout.  Trap bar squats with excellent form, sled pulls frontwards and back, and farmer's walk.  Just enough to introduce it to him but not make him so sore he can't move.  We will call this workout Lower Body #1, and later in the week we will do a different lower body.

• Like 2

I never was into working out and have  never been to a gym in my life , always did enough of work to compensate the need !! Next time you feel the meed to work out , go do some physical work !! 

i agree .... the longest living people around here aren't the ones going to the gym for workouts it's those who do did physical work all (or most) of there lives....

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

I never was into working out and have  never been to a gym in my life , always did enough of work to compensate the need !! Next time you feel the meed to work out , go do some physical work !! 

Who says I don't do physical work?  On a daily basis, I don't.  In order to be in good shape I do functional workouts.  Compound movements, etc.

I can't do just physical work and be in good enough shape and skilled enough to box amateur.  Let me know how that would work.

I'd bet this, though..... I can go do a full days work with most any person, but can they keep up with me?  Doubtful.  I'm almost 53 and the reason I can do demanding work is that I keep my body in pretty good shape, excepting that I'm admittedly overweight.

• Like 1

exercise, aint the same as labor. though it involves the same muscles or can involve the same muscles. ya may think it is easy to ride a thoroughbred, just get on an ride, it aint. you got to train for it.

it is physical to ride, but you got to train also.

35 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i agree .... the longest living people around here aren't the ones going to the gym for workouts it's those who do did physical work all (or most) of there lives....

I don't live on a farm, though I grew up working on them.  I know what work is, and can put most people into the ground when doing strenuous labor.

While I can't disagree with your statement, I don't have land to work on, so I get it how I can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LedFTed said:

exercise, aint the same as labor. though it involves the same muscles or can involve the same muscles. ya may think it is easy to ride a thoroughbred, just get on an ride, it aint. you got to train for it.

it is physical to ride, but you got to train also.

I would agree.  I think the biggest difference the mental aspect of how to work hard.  Exercise "working hard" is way different than a day's labor, every day.  "Tough" isn't how much a person can lift or how hard they workout, it's something else.

• Like 1

So in this thread, I'm going to be hitting a gym, riding my bike, etc.  We can debate a bit on HOW to get in better shape, but at some point we have to acknowledge that it can be done several ways.  Debate is good, but I'm not going to head out and chop wood today, on my little plot of land.  I'm going to hit the gym, or do pushups at the house, etc.  It's the way it is.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LedFTed said:

kinda spiritual, or a reinforcement of physical..

Yes.  When I help someone move into a new house, I enjoy that.  When I go to my BIL's house and we process wood for a weekend, that's good.  The physical effort is there, but the mental aspect of accomplishing something tangible is what drives that, I think.

• Like 2

i only got to lose 8 lbs. to reach my goal. below 125. if i'd get to 118 it would be OK.

the forums bad a-- ... lol noted ... I'd like t see you run a day in my shoes

7 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I don't live on a farm, though I grew up working on them.  I know what work is, and can put most people into the ground when doing strenuous labor.

While I can't disagree with your statement, I don't have land to work on, so I get it how I can.

grew up working on one, is totally defrent then doing it as a life style, as a living  your on call 24/7 ... part time .. nah, that's an urban cowboy .. style .. those types don't last. lol. 

Come on over, I have 5 cord of wood that needs to be cut split and piled for next winter,  plus what I pull out of the bush.....lol

• Like 1

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

the forums bad a-- ... lol noted ... I'd like t see you run a day in my shoes

grew up working on one, is totally defrent then doing it as a life style, as a living  your on call 24/7 ... part time .. nah, that's an urban cowboy .. style .. those types don't last. lol. 

Jeez, I knew you didn't care for me, but do you have to make it so obvious?  Part of why people leave forums is negative people such as yourself.  Why come into this thread and start putting people down?  And it's not like this is an isolated case, you can easily tell who you look down on, and it's those that don't "work as hard as you do".

Just stay out of this thread, go be negative elsewhere.

Just now, TBRider said:

Come on over, I have 5 cord of wood that needs to be cut split and piled for next winter,  plus what I pull out of the bush.....lol

If I lived near you, I'd come over and help you out.  I do that for people I know.  I don't live on land like some do, nor do I heat my house with wood.  However, I enjoy the work.

• Like 2

I'd say those that come into a thread and start telling them they don't know how to work, and can't keep up, are looking down on others.  Internet trolls is what we call them.

I'd like for this to be a friendly forum.  If it isn't we can easily get nasty.  For me, it would ruin the forum.  It appears as if some of what made the "other forum" suck found it's way here.

If you want to continue to tell me how I'm a lesser person that you, then just don't comment on my things.  Otherwise, I'll comment on everything you do, and it will go downhill from there.

So, I've asked a mod to lock or delete this thread.  @_Wilson_™, just stay away from my threads.  You are frequently negative and I've had about all I can handle from you.  You look down on those that don't work like you do, and it shows.

This forum won't grow much with people like you putting down others that aren't you.  They will show up, then leave.

i liked skipping rope for 45 min.s, though i used a 1/2 inch., rope, 250 squat's, only ran 1.5/8 mile. seems i did jumping jacks for 45 mins i have a problem remembering the last part jumping jacks. anyway, i liked to exercise, for the physical aspect of riding that type of horse. i dont think now i did jumping jacks, just turned that rope. ever so often i'd get close to three spins, it was hard to do. what i was saying, exercise is different somehow. it's physical just as much as work. but it serves a different purpose.

Edited by LedFTed
spelling

At my work, we have a nice gym, and I get to work out on the clock for 1/2 hour if I want to (which makes it that much worse that I've gotten fat and soft again).

With my schedule that's what I have to work with, as the baby has severely limited my farm time, so keep things going, and tell us what you're doing and why?

I used to be a runner, now I have to do the elliptical for cardio.  I haven't done much in weights, but I need to get back on that too.

I'm seriously considering yoga.  I've always looked down on it as hippie stuff, but at 45 I've gotten pretty dang stiff and I'm thinking maybe it isn't so hippie after all......... it would be nice to be able to move again without creaks and strains.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

dang, jeep with all the work you do on Hondas .. i would have guessed your a go get her done guy. 

Three kids, wife, full time job don't get me nearly enough "me" time to do what I want.  Work has gotten crazy over the last year, so stay busier at my desk.

And I honestly hate exercise for the sake of exercise, but that has gotten me to 215 and out of shape, so I gotta get back on that fairy looking elliptical and get this gut under control.

When I was using the gym, working on the farm was a LOT more enjoyable.  Now I huff and puff doing stuff that didn't use to phase me.

I haven't duck hunted since the baby was born, and I had, I'd probably fall out trying to chase cripples in muck and water.  That's some hard trekking.

• Like 1

oh come on now, an old farm farm boy ? it's in your blood, brother. but yeah i understand all too well, sadly i don't have kids, i missed it, well... lets say while i was in for my shoulder surgery (posted a while ago) my GF was pregnant .. but she chose to ... well you know, and i wasn't told ... i had a bad time after that... my drinking got way out of control, but THE MAN will have the say so when it's said and done. 

That's horrible.  Same thing happened to my best friend growing up.  He borrowed and borrowed to put his wife through school (farm loans too), then when he lost his farm he got depressed, hooked on pain meds.  While he was in rehab he found out that his wife had filed for divorce, and was pregnant and had killed his kid. 

He never touched opiods again when he got out of rehab, but he drank himself to death within a year.  He knew he was doing it too.  Just didn't care anymore.

• Like 1