WonderMonkey

Compressing The Shocks - Weight Loss

I go in Monday to schedule my third knee surgery.  Sure was fun abusing my body, but the price is being paid now!  Should be another cleanout and the goal is to put off knee replacements as long as possible.  I put the scheduling off until after this past Friday, which was supposed to be my latest fight.  My normal bout was cancelled but I accepted an "exhibition" two weeks prior to the 12th, as a last minute replacement.  It was a good time and it was against someone that they would never match me against in a real fight, but I basically went in and let them box their brains out, and I kept them honest with some action.  It was tremendous fighting, even in exhibition, in front of a crowd, and I hope I can get my next knee surgery scheduled SOON so I can be ready for a June fight.

• Like 4

Well; just to say, it sux being old. just to walk 2.4 miles again. walk up an down hills. My back seems to be getting better somewhat., and it will be a while, before i can resume my normal activities.

if you use a jump rope, start with a thin one. build your way up. i kinda believe in interval training. i have used this approach running in the past. [run till ya cant, then walk, run again, then walk, etc] an soon ya will find your distances of running increase, till ya have to walk. i suppose this works with many tasks.

on the side, i been eating x-tra carrots, an my night vision is improving. go figure.

Legs : I work my legs pretty hard at work , climbing up and down big equipment , lots of walking back and forth to the truck for tools , etc , well yesterday the St Tammany walking/bicycle Trace just reopened a 1 mile stretch from our intersection , it was freshly re-black topped last week  , so the wife wanted to go pedal biking on it , so I had to do it , we went to the Lacombe Bayou bridge and back which is a 8 mile trip , I rode the big wheel bike I just got  and left my Schwinn mountain bike at home , that was a mistake ,  well , I thought I worked out my legs  at work , nah ,  my legs are aching this morning really bad , I had a few short rides around the neighborhood recently , but I went too far , need to build up to 8 miles+ rides    ---- 

Good luck with your knee doctor visit !!  Happy Birthday !!  God bless Marvelous Marvin Haggler , he was one boxer that I liked , he died  yesterday 

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Good luck with your knee doctor visit !!  Happy Birthday !!  God bless Marvelous Marvin Haggler , he was one boxer that I liked , he died  yesterday 

Thanks, thanks and yes, I always liked him.  He was in the  right era, with the other fighters around him all creating great fights.

• Like 1

Pending my knee appointment, which is now tomorrow (Tuesday), I'll take two weeks to move into the following schedule to prepare for a June match.

Daily: Shadow boxing

4x week: Morning (6:30 am) - Weight training (my own schedule)

3x or 4x week: Conditioning (depends on sparring)

3x week: Skill training

2x or 1x week: Sparring

Some of the above workouts will be at the same visit to the gym, and what days things will occur depends on mine and others schedule.

Example:

Monday

6:30 AM - Squat day: quads, glutes, core (carries)

5:30 PM - Shadowboxing, conditioning, then skill work

Tuesday

6:30 AM - Overhead press day, delts and triceps

Noon - Shadowboxing then Arm Conditioning - Stamina work for shoulders, triceps, etc.  Punching stamina, basically.  Yes, legs and the rest of the body are involved but the arms give out first

Those are the two types of days I'll do, with some variations.  Wednesdays, Friday and Sunday will be no AM lifting.  If my knee can get fixed QUICKLY I'll move some of my weight training into later in the day and use my bike and interval training to get my legs in better shape.

I'd like to be down to 220 lbs for the fight, but I'd accept 230 lbs as I'll need some energy to get through the new schedule.

So .... the knee issue shows itself when on my bike, pedaling (because I don't push it, duh).  I looked up a bunch of things that other people who ride a bike experience and was encouraged that I was experiencing exactly what they were, and it's not a surgery thing.  I know that my google self-diagnosis doesn't mean much, but I did want to be a bit more informed when I went int.

Luckily, the ortho zoned right into the issue quickly, and it's a form of Patellofemoral syndrome, and runners and jumpers also get this sometime.  Basically, my kneecap wasn't tracking correctly as I was doing wheelies and stunts, which the ladies would ooh and aw about.  There are all kinds of adjustments I could make on the bike, which I'll do some of them them, but resulting from the visit I got:

A steroid pack to calm down the issue

A lecture to stay off the bike until a certain day, and that day is 3 days past when I feel no pain

A Donjoy Reaction Knee brace to keep my kneecap in place while on the bike.  I don't wear it otherwise.

While I was there I had them fit me for a brace on my right knee, which exhibits the symptoms of a Lateral Collateral issue.  It's not an LC, but a brace that helps the LC would help my issue.  I got a Drytex something.  I wear this one when I'm doing activity which I have to change direction, like boxing activities or running from the Police.

The braces are below, the Reaction on top, and the Drytex is on the bottom.

download.jpg

images.jpg

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 2

MW, we had talked some last night about knee issues, what i didn't get to was, my friend Mr Potts, now his were bone on bone, you could even hear it when he walked, had considered artificial knees, but because of his heart issue he was considered a high risk, he wasn't a weight lifter, or into sports, just worked all the time, (when he could) , it wasn't his knee caps , but rather his the joints never used a walked or crutches, they really never did figure out what cause just his knees to be effected, he passed about 2 years back, of congestive heart failure, but before he was really wanting those artificial knees, i reckon you never can tell what will happen from on day to the next. 

• Like 1

I had my right knee scoped at 21.  I'm "big boned" and ran cross country in high school.  Running is for sticks/ skinny folk / ectomorphs. 

Knees aren't made for extra weight.  The more you weigh, and the more you pound on them, the sooner they give out.  Cartilage in both of my knees is gone, and has been since my early 20's.

The doc told me at 21 that I I wasn't built like a runner, and that I needed to quit running or I'd be looking at knee replacements at 30.  That's why I'm on the elliptical now instead of running outside.

• Like 3

that's the strange part, Mr  Potts was fit, and didnt weigh much, well.. not over weight (no offence meant) something just attacked his knees, the hospital here is nick named murder reginal, but even the specailists couldn't figure out what was going on, but he did work for years for Monsanto , so no telling what he exposed to, but just his knee joint went south. now, my father, is a big man 6.9 and heavy or was, when he started having knee issues, his doctor told him to loose weight, which he did, and his knee issues aren't so bad now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

MW, we had talked some last night about knee issues, what i didn't get to was, my friend Mr Potts, now his were bone on bone, you could even hear it when he walked, had considered artificial knees, but because of his heart issue he was considered a high risk, he wasn't a weight lifter, or into sports, just worked all the time, (when he could) , it wasn't his knee caps , but rather his the joints never used a walked or crutches, they really never did figure out what cause just his knees to be effected, he passed about 2 years back, of congestive heart failure, but before he was really wanting those artificial knees, i reckon you never can tell what will happen from on day to the next. 

Yes it could have been anything.  Hereditary, bad shoes, who knows?  Obviously some people are just more prone to things.  You are right, you just can't tell.

I've done all kinds of fun things in my life and I'm fortunate to be having just the small issues.  And there your friend may not have abused him body in the same manner and his knees are terrible.  Very odd.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had my right knee scoped at 21.  I'm "big boned" and ran cross country in high school.  Running is for sticks/ skinny folk / ectomorphs. 

Knees aren't made for extra weight.  The more you weigh, and the more you pound on them, the sooner they give out.  Cartilage in both of my knees is gone, and has been since my early 20's.

The doc told me at 21 that I I wasn't built like a runner, and that I needed to quit running or I'd be looking at knee replacements at 30.  That's why I'm on the elliptical now instead of running outside.

For me to run, and probably you back then as well, it would have to be trail running where you are in a more aggressive position and absorbing the shock.  Straight up running?  Nope.  I only ran to support any ball playing or military demands, nothing else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

For me to run, and probably you back then as well, it would have to be trail running where you are in a more aggressive position and absorbing the shock.  Straight up running?  Nope.  I only ran to support any ball playing or military demands, nothing else.

Yep, cross country in high school. 

I've always been kinda slow, but I could run a long ways, so cross country it was.

• Like 1

for me, it's lifting wood walking through tangled downed trees, running cattle, i was always on the rush when farming, i still am to a point, but when the weather changes, oh yeah, i can tell, road bikes as a kid, one wreck i had MAYBE when i was 12 i went over the handle bars and my elbows and knees took the impact, last thing i recall from then, was my friends coming back, and got me up, i was more worried what my parents would do after seeing my pants ripped apart, lol! but bull riding..... i think that did more damage then anything. i reckon i can knock on wood, just a few pains every now and again, I'll say this, if the world was a better place, i would love  relive those days, but now I'm glad I'm as old as i am, i still walk, and run with neighbors dale and Stacy every Sunday morning, i would think half a mile (maybe) 

• Like 1

I would think that riding a bull, or a bucking bronco, would eventually give one shoulder issues.

I had some ropers in the family, but obviously that isn't riding on top of a bucking animal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yep, it does somewhat, its the landing .... that gets the knees ankles feet. 

Ha, my head or my butt would be what's broken there.  I can't land on my feet getting off the couch.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yep, it does somewhat, its the landing .... that gets the knees ankles feet. 

I had never thought of the landing.  For me, it would be my head being landed on.  Though I know that I've watched it on tv and most do well with jumping off the animal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ha, my head or my butt would be what's broken there.  I can't land on my feet getting off the couch.

Exactly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh yeah, head, knees, but, what you try to avoid is the head , horns, and hooves... lol, after 8 in the pros they try and get you off, but for us, naw we bailed / jumped off, i have a friend ... that wanted to try it, and ended up up landing on his side, broke his leg, hip, and arm, wasn't there that day, and before hand i tried to talk him out of it, but, naw he didnt listen, thankfully he was young back then, and healed up okay, but i sure did feel bad about it, we didnt allow it on our place it's a friend of mine John Who had the Sunday riding going on, but at your own risk, and the bull that threw my friend was only 800 lbs (small) more then likely he was too far back on the bull, (not in the sweet spot) it's really a balancing dance riding a bull, which I'll never do again instill recall seeing lane frost live, sad deal, because he was great! and a nice guy to. 

i would imagine you take kind of the body abuse riding sport tracks like slammed does, maybe even worse ? because you have riders next to you, or chasing you on blind jumps, now bull riders have  body pertection head gear chest gear, and arm gear, etc good call IMO. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

Side, but slightly related thing.  Ever watched a person on a mechanical bull that's been drinking?  It's hard enough sober but they get in there and get on that thing.  It's like putting a bag of meat with bones in it up there and then whip it around.  Lots of whacks with the electronic bull or awkward landings on the padded surfaces.  I never did it because I didn't think it was a good idea for me.  Odd with all the dumb (fun) things I've done but never did that dumb thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dear 250lbs,

I have found someone else. Though you have been replaced by 249lbs, that is only temporary as well. 249lbs is just being used. A stepping stone.  I've got my eye on that cute 239lbs over there by the snack bar.

We have been together on and off again for many years. Though we have had fun together, I’m not going to miss you at all. Now don’t try to get me back; it just won’t work. No standing outside the donut shop beckoning me to come in “just to talk.” I know that trick. No disguising the family-sized bag of pizza rolls as a container of carrots; I've fallen for that too many times!

250lbs, it is best for both of us that we part. I’m no good for you, and you certainly are not good for me.

I remember when we met, do you recall that moment all those years ago? I steadily saw 248lbs, and then I had that large portion of lasagna and HELLO THERE 250lbs! And though I’ve strayed from you with 260lbs, 270lbs, 280lbs, 290lbs, and even heavier siblings, I always seem to find myself back with you, 250lbs.

But no more. Be gone. Off with you. I banish you and all your older siblings. If you try to contact me, I won’t respond.

Regards,
Mike

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Ever watched a person on a mechanical bull that's been drinking?  It's hard enough sober but they get in there and get on that thing.  It's like putting a bag of meat with bones in it up there and then whip it around.  Lots of whacks with the electronic bull or awkward landings on the padded surfaces.  

If you think the bull is tuff un-sober , you need to ride 4 wheelers thru ruts with us  ....

5 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

Side, but slightly related thing.  Ever watched a person on a mechanical bull that's been drinking?  It's hard enough sober but they get in there and get on that thing.  It's like putting a bag of meat with bones in it up there and then whip it around.  Lots of whacks with the electronic bull or awkward landings on the padded surfaces.  I never did it because I didn't think it was a good idea for me.  Odd with all the dumb (fun) things I've done but never did that dumb thing.

oh yes, we used have one at a country bar, which burned years ago, but before that, there was an insodent where a lady who  had way too much, tried to ride and was thrown, i don't recall what injury she sustained, but a law suit happened afterwards, and the steel bull was removed, i agree mixing  anything to numb one, and doing a sport like that is just asking for it, i reckon it was more of a deal for city folk to see if they could do it ? i and my friends never did, because for us, if you didnt do the real deal, and weren't  broke into the sport, you were just begging for injuries, just like deadliest catch, i think those two are the top ten most dangerous jobs, which  i would disagree with because bull riding is no job, it's a sport, I've had many close calls, but after my shoulder injury .... i got out of the sport, your right monkey some people aren't cut out for it. ah we've all don'e the dumb thing, lol, yah gotta enjoy the battle scars ;)  

• Like 1

i watched your virdeo, that farmers walk ....i know that one real well, i do that all the time while moving wood, so i reckon, I'm somewhat of a weight lifter ? the squats, well, i would fail there, i use my back more then lifting the right way, and i have been told many times, lift with legs and not your back, I'll have to keep that in mind, it's hard to break old habits, most likely why i had such back back pain a while   ago. 

• Like 1