WonderMonkey

Quick Splice Type Connector

Do you have an opinion on this type of connector?  My winch came with one.  I didn't have to use it but I was wondering how solid they are as far as making a connection.  I get the concept but have NO experience with it.

51+A6cc2nWL._AC_SY355_.jpg

I'm not a fan.

@retro does things the professional way.

I am more of a "strip the ends, tie them together, and then wrap with electrical tape" kind of guy.

His way is better.  My way is easier....but you have to do it again every once and awhile.

Those quick clips have a tiny connection, and when it corrodes, you lose the connection.  They also tend to dry out and break/crack, and you lose the connection.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm not a fan.

@retro does things the professional way.

I am more of a "strip the ends, tie them together, and then wrap with electrical tape" kind of guy.

His way is better.  My way is easier....but you have to do it again every once and awhile.

Those quick clips have a tiny connection, and when it corrodes, you lose the connection.  They also tend to dry out and break/crack, and you lose the connection.

Thanks.  I wasn't thinking of the corrosion.  In addition to them being in my kit, when I was in the auto parts supply place and looking for the right size bullet (male) connector, the guy that was helping me found was also talking to me about them.  I'm sure many have used them with good results, but since I had zero experience, I was hesitant.

I agree with jeep.  I've used them but not a fan.  When I have used them, I've squeezed the blade down with pliers, then clicked the lock flap down and then secured it with a small zip tie so the flap cannot come up and the blade wiggle out.  Even then, it's not the best.  On a positive note, when the accessory that you run off of them eventually quits, you can grab the connector, squeeze it and know immediately if that is where the problem is. lol

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, slowindown said:

I agree with jeep.  I've used them but not a fan.  When I have used them, I've squeezed the blade down with pliers, then clicked the lock flap down and then secured it with a small zip tie so the flap cannot come up and the blade wiggle out.  Even then, it's not the best.  On a positive note, when the accessory that you run off of them eventually quits, you can grab the connector, squeeze it and know immediately if that is where the problem is. lol

HA!  Yes, good call!

Yup they came with some of my electrical stuff in the past. Great if your in a pinch. But I agree with the rest! Toss em!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Yup they came with some of my electrical stuff in the past. Great if your in a pinch. But I agree with the rest! Toss em!

Maybe I'll keep a few in my kit for emergencies only.

Otherwise it seems to be a consensus.  Toss them!

Toss them !   Those taps are nothing but problems in the long run 

My method of tapping into an existing running wire , use wire stripping pliers to put a cut in just the coating off the wire along the length of the wire you want to tap , then go an inch father along and do it again , then use a razor knife to cut the 1 inch chunk of covering off and expose the wire , cut 1 1/2 inches of coating off the end of the wire your attaching , wrap the end of the wire around the exposed section , then solder the section , coat of Liquid Tape , then good quality electrical tape (which is astronomical $ these days ) , rock solid tap 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Toss them !   Those taps are nothing but problems in the long run 

My method of tapping into an existing running wire , use wire stripping pliers to put a cut in just the coating off the wire along the length of the wire you want to tap , then go an inch father along and do it again , then use a razor knife to cut the 1 inch chunk of covering off and expose the wire , cut 1 1/2 inches of coating off the end of the wire your attaching , wrap the end of the wire around the exposed section , then solder the section , coat of Liquid Tape , then good quality electrical tape (which is astronomical $ these days ) , rock solid tap 

Ahhhh so these things aren't necessarily two-wire connectors, they are for inline connections?  I get it now.  * light bulb squeaks on, a bit.  I understand your directions on the tap you laid out.  As long as you choose the right size on your stripping pliers, I like your method.  I, of course, would cut right through half the wires and say bad words, loudly.  Actually, I'd start too large and go a bit smaller until it was right.

• Like 1

I agree with Fishfiles, throw those quick splices in the trash and splice using his method.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, retro said:

I agree with Fishfiles, throw those quick splices in the trash and splice using his method.

Done, as soon as I get up and go do it.

Thanks for the input, everybody.

• Like 1

The amount of contact area between the wire and the squeeze taps is so minimal , it is just the width of the blade inside the plastic 

I  see those taps a lot on trailers 

If you want to do a crimp butt connection there are 3 and 4 way crimp able connectors , but you have to cut the wire and then they are a little mess to tap up and then take up room 

image.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The amount of contact area between the wire and the squeeze taps is so minimal , it is just the width of the blade inside the plastic 

I  see those taps a lot on trailers 

If you want to do a crimp butt connection there are 3 and 4 way crimp able connectors , but you have to cut the wire and then they are a little mess to tap up and then take up room 

If I had nothing to start with I'd probably just twist the wires together and tape them up.  Otherwise I'd go with what was in place, as long as it wasn't something terrible.  That three-wire thing in your image doesn't good to me, but if there were two in place already and I'm supposed to add the third, I'd probably do it.

17 hours ago, slowindown said:

That is actually exactly what happened a couple of weeks ago when my buddy wanted me to look at the winch on his kid's wheeler. 

And that clip was loose, and wasn't making a good connection.  I yanked it off, cut the wires, tied them together, and then taped them up good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Derf40 said:

WM soldering is the only way to be sure, just do it right

My soldering skills leave a lot to be desired.  LOL

I end up getting solder all over everything BUT the connection.

I have been meaning to get some of those heat shrink tubing connectors and try them. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYXN6PO/?coliid=I3PN7LT5LTR2FF&colid=3O8H7R4UADL9R&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have been meaning to get some of those heat shrink tubing connectors and try them. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYXN6PO/?coliid=I3PN7LT5LTR2FF&colid=3O8H7R4UADL9R&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They work good. I posted them a while back in a connector thread. In very, very tight places I have used the scotch lock connectors but only with dielectric grease in them. I hate using them but sometimes they just make a job easier and cheaper.

solder is easy enough, but waterproof, at the same time,??

My new in 1987 Shoreline boat trailer uses them.  When an amber marker light failed this month I knew exactly where to look.  Nope.  Connection was perfect but the bulb in the sealed light burnt.  This trailer does get stored inside but also see alot of dunkings even in salt water.

Lesson learned is these types of connections aren't all the same.  Higher quality may last especially if packed with a no ox grease. 

Regardless,  I still hate them and they're the first place I look if there's a failure. 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 9:25 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Yes i use those. They are very good but be careful with the lighter as a heat source. Possible you can melt or scorch the wrap before you get the solder melted

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Goober said:

Yes i use those. They are very good but be careful with the lighter as a heat source. Possible you can melt or scorch the wrap before you get the solder melted

I heard they were originally made by a guy named Jack , and when they were they were good quality ,  Jack sold the business or died and the people that took over ,  don't make them nearly as heavy duty  

Ahh, good old "Vampire Taps", and just like vampires they cause nothing but problems long term...seen more shorts and opens from those than I can count...I never use them on anything I wire up...not sure I would even consider them for emergencies, but I see the appeal in that aspect.

i've used them alot, but i tape the crap outta them when i make the connection. are they the best way to connect wires ?, no. will they '' work '' ?, yes. if you use them where you can get easy access ?, then i'll use them. if its going to be in a hidden area ?, no i will not use them.

• Like 1