ChadD

400ex oiling issue

Just now, ChadD said:

@TBRider I would almost guarantee you would be correct but I can assure you that the oil filter is installed spring first then oil filter with the gasket side on the outer cover. 

Easy quick check is pull the side cover, remove filter & blow air thru filter passage. Process of elimination... only thing I can really do. Start small & work up. I wouldn’t want to pull the ! motor apart either unless u have too. I split my engine apart last year. Had to do it twice because of small screw up! Sucks but when ur ready to burn it down, either sign it over to me! Lol! OR.. step back, go have a beer, & really think about it... & then reconvene... 

i think he already covered the oil filter in the right way a few pages back....  just take a look at the engine he built, he has some mad mechanical skills, IMO. 

• Like 1

@SlammedRanger when I say the cam doesn't turn I am saying that the cam sits and all the valves are closed but the timing chain and sprocket are spinning but the cam itself is not. Beginning to think that this ebay cam was a bad purchase. I will check the passages going up to the top of the motor. 

2 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i think he already covered the oil filter in the right way a few pages back....  just take a look at the engine he built, he has some mad mechanical skills, IMO. 

@_Wilson_™ thanks

• Like 1

Just now, ChadD said:

@SlammedRanger when I say the cam doesn't turn I am saying that the cam sits and all the valves are closed but the timing chain and sprocket are spinning but the cam itself is not. Beginning to think that this ebay cam was a bad purchase. I will check the passages going up to the top of the motor. 

What im telling you bud is thats not possible! If that cam doesnt turn in time with the crank this is an interference engine. Your valves are going to bend when they contact the piston. Period. No way around it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChadD said:

My man.... IF UR CAM IS NOT TURNING U HAVE SERIOUS ISSUES

• Like 1

Ur cam gear isn’t tight on the cam!! That’s why cam not turning!!

Edited by Wheeler

Just now, Wheeler said:

Ur cam gear isn’t right on the cam!! That’s why cam not turning!!

Has to be. But it would never run that way. Im confused!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChadD said:

NO! Don’t check any passages my friend! IF ur cam isn’t turning but cam chain is, u have to pull the cover back off & figure that shiiaat out!

Edited by Wheeler

Ok. So the cam sprocket and crank sprocket are attatched togeather by a chain. For the bottom end to crank over and cam to not turn your chain either isnt on the crank sprocket properly. It can go right next to the splines on the main crank drive sprocket. Or the cam splines would have to be stripped off and the sprocket and hub are spinning on the cam.

• Like 2

The auto decompression has no control over the cam spinning. If the cam didnt spin it would have more compression. Honestly im shocked it turns over. If all the valves stay closed all the time it would just be a pressure chamber. I guess it must be leaking back through the rings. Which is a whole new concern in itself.

• Like 1

@SlammedRanger you 100% correct but I promise you I can see the camshaft sprocket and the timing chain spinning. And yes the bolts are in the cam and going through the sprocket but the cam itself is not spinning. I just assumed that the decompression mechanism worked that way until it built enough oil pressure to engage. 

19 minutes ago, ChadD said:

@SlammedRanger you 100% correct but I promise you I can see the camshaft sprocket and the timing chain spinning. And yes the bolts are in the cam and going through the sprocket but the cam itself is not spinning. I just assumed that the decompression mechanism worked that way until it built enough oil pressure to engage. 

@ChadD buddy call me.. 780-265-

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Just now, ChadD said:

The auto decompression actually works on engine rpm. So how it works is the mechanism spins and catches on the plunger that the spring keeps tension on. Holding on a tab on one of the rocker arms and pushing a valve slightly open. Once the engine warms up the rpm raises and the oil pressure build and it causes the outer part to slide down off the plunger and lets the valves function like normal from then on.

6 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Or the valve seals?@SlammedRanger

Valve seals shouldnt see any pressure because the valves are closed and should hold way more compression than that engine can build. Valve seals are on the stem above the seats.

Just got off the phone. He cranked it & it’s a free spin for sure! He’s gonna pull valve cover off & see what’s broken off. He’s positive the chain is still on the crank as the sprocket turns over. U could hear it plain as day free spin!!

again @ChadD great talking with ya!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

@SlammedRanger I just got off the phone with @Wheeler and we both agree that the cam has to be messed up. Have to go get ready for work but tomorrow I will pull the valve cover and see what we see. Thanks again guys, appreciate the help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChadD said:

@SlammedRanger I just got off the phone with @Wheeler and we both agree that the cam has to be messed up. Have to go get ready for work but tomorrow I will pull the valve cover and see what we see. Thanks again guys, appreciate the help. 

No problem bud! Keep us posted!

• Like 1