jeepwm69

KFX90, no start, no turn over, no nothing

Rincon riding buddy brought me an 09 (I think) KFX90 that he got for his kids.  They've ridden it for awhile, but all of the sudden it won't start.

Won't do anything.  Turn the key on and hit the start button and don't get anything.  Not a click, nothing.

Hooked jumpers to the battery terminals to make sure it wasn't just a dead battery, but that's all I've been able to do so far. 

Doesn't look like we have a FSM for it in the manuals section.  Anyone messed with one of these before?

Just now, TBRider said:

Quadcrazy says it has a service manual but I can't dl it.....

Yeah, that's where I got this.

• Like 1

HI: You have to pull the brake switch to start the bike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You know, I didn't even think about that.  He just said it wouldn't start all of the sudden.

It doesn't have any dash lights or anything like that, and I didn't think about a brake lever cutout.  I also need to look and see if there's a safety lanyard that might have been pulled off somewhere.

I had to do that with the neighbors Polaris, squeeze the front brakes to start it even when it was in neutral....

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

HI: You have to pull the brake switch to start the bike

I tried it while pulling the brake levers.  No change.

That said, I did that in the dark....in 30 degree weather....in my boxers......so I didn't exactly delve deep into even looking for microswitches on the brake levers or anything.

Will try to look more into it this weekend.  Could be as easy as a brake microswitch failing or a wire coming off, or could be something major.

is this the machine ? if so,  I'm not familure at all, but sounds like it could a ignition switch / starter button issue, maybe a blown fuse ? 

image.jpg

Yep.  Only fuse I see is a 15A, and it's good.  Not sure about the start button or ignition switch.  Haven't dug that far into it yet.

This is why I don't like working on new models/makes!  Gotta learn it all all over again.

• Like 1

i can relate to that, lol! half breed bikes... i hated when a Polaris came up to the shop, and JL always had me work on them, for the 1st year, told me you have to start at the bottom ... and work your way up to Hondas / Harley's ... lol! .... that's why I'm a die hard honda guy now. 

Had a little time yesterday afternoon late to get some work done. 

Took the ignition switch loose, and discovered the red wire going to the switch had broken off at the connector.  I just ran a jumper wire and it fired right up and ran like a top.

Wish all fixes were so quick and easy.

• Like 3

This one is back at the house.  Starts up but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Acts like it's starving for fuel.

Took the carb off, was corroded on the body where the jets screw in.   Trying to decide if I want to rebuild it or just buy a new carb.

These have some sort of auto choke on them which apparently cause a lot of issues.  If I went aftermarket (I know, I know) I could eliminate that. 

Ready for my buddy to get rid of this thing.  It's like a bad penny.

Ordered a rebuild kit.  The jets were clogged up something fierce (couldn't poke a bread tie wire through one of them) so I used the jets out of the carb kid.

Rode it around a bit yesterday and that seems to have fixed it. 

I told him to come get it and to SELL IT while it's running good.  He said that is the plan; his kid is big enough now to move to a bigger bike anyway.

Looks like these aren't even made by Kawasaki.  They're a rebranded Kymco

• Like 1