Quadjunkie

from 25 to 26's on a 450 es

Yikes that's pricey! 

You could probably go 27's on a 450.  I certainly wouldn't go bigger.  26's would be perfect. 

I'd ask some of the northern guys like @toodeep what tires to get since most of us Southerners have mud only year round and tend to stick to mud specific tires.

• Like 1

Are you plowing a resilient surface or gravel? Mud tires are not good on ice or hard surfaces.

i had my TRX300 wheels blasted and powder coated to match the bodywork $200

i had a rusty set of TRX350 wheels blasted and powder coated a semi-gloss silver

1CC06217-0F15-4BBD-B743-620894C6548A.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks great. Doing that would be more work than I want to do I think. 

The plow is used on dirt roads, pavement and stone roads for plowing up to.... 3feet, this year.

• Like 3

Those tires you posted look like a decent all round tire to me, I have maxxis bighorns here driving through snow ❄

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yikes that's pricey! 

You could probably go 27's on a 450.  I certainly wouldn't go bigger.  26's would be perfect. 

I'd ask some of the northern guys like @toodeep what tires to get since most of us Southerners have mud only year round and tend to stick to mud specific tires.

Is there someplace who has a cheaper set? Thanks.

Couple more questions about some other tire sets I'm looking at. What is a "swl" tire? And is anyone using radial tires?

Thanks.

20 hours ago, Quadjunkie said:

Well that depends on what you want in the way of wheels.  And again, location (canada is pricey). 

And what type of terrain, since that will determine your tire choice.

My go to tire is always the MudBug, especially when plowing. I take my radial bearclaw htr off and they do good but the bugs outperform them. If your looking for a set of tires on the cheaper side the original BearClaws are a good all around tire for about everything yet still bite in the snow.

IMG_20151201_164759892.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toodeep said:

My go to tire is always the MudBug, especially when plowing. I take my radial bearclaw htr off and they do good but the bugs outperform them. If your looking for a set of tires on the cheaper side the original BearClaws are a good all around tire for about everything yet still bite in the snow.

IMG_20151201_164759892.jpg

Bugs do better than the bearclaws in the snow?

For me they do. The extra paddle action of them helps push the machine through and the single long sipe lets it flex enough on the frozen ground to get traction.

well,, i got a 450es. i also ride on the road. [tell me if i should make a new thread, please], mine is constant 4x4. road travel dont hurt the back tires none, but sure do the fronts.

i also got some car rims, maybe not necessary, for the front, that have a 110mm lug span. i forget what they came from, some sports car, 7 wedge, is all i can remember of the name. 

i dont want to sacrifice all if the pull the 4x4 has, but i wont worry to much.

guess im saying what kinda tires i need for the front, or brand?  :classic_blink:

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

mine is constant 4x4. road travel dont hurt the back tires none, but sure do the fronts.

sounds like a front end alinement issue, what road surface are you riding on ? pavement will eat soft compound tires up on a full time 4wd, not only from alinement issues , but also from from drivetrain wind up. 

• Like 1

My 2002 450  has 27s Outlaws on it , even though it does have the 300 primary and clutch basket making  it 14.5% reduction , it  doesn't need reduction to handle  27s ,  seems to me the 450s are  low geared to start   

fullsizeoutput_170.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, Quadjunkie said:

2wheel.com and rockymountainatvmc also has good prices. 2wheel has quadboss steel wheels that are cheap if you want/need new wheels. 

27 minutes ago, Quadjunkie said:

Do these 3 lines around the new tire make a difference? Are they supposed to match the tire on the other side? 

tirelines.jpg

the lines are just wear lines, only thing that matters is the arrow on the outside side wall, the arrow should face forward, if one of them are not ?, means you/someone mounted the tire on the rim backwards !.

3 minutes ago, Quadjunkie said:

I looked for an arrow on the tires but can't see one anywhere.

its there..trust me !.

are those lines for the inside of the tire?. yellow blue an green? just want to know...??

nevermind, the rest of the thread caught up to me...

Edited by LedFTed

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

its there..trust me !.

That tread pattern doesn't look directional to me.  The directional tread pattern tires are the ones that have to be mounted facing a certain way.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

That tread pattern doesn't look directional to me.  The directional tread pattern tires are the ones that have to be mounted facing a certain way.

look at the out side edge tread pattern, notice how both sides face the same way ?. that is yer clue.

• Like 1