F250 guy

Push mower choice.

Just a cheap 100 buck 20" one here, and 2 ride on's. All Briggs motors

I have several cheap junk push mowers.  One is a 6.5HP craftsman that @basfnb's brother gave me when he sheared the flywheel key.  I replaced it and Dad's been mowing with that one for several years now (of course, being the weirdo he is, he doesn't use his JD 750 with a 72" deck, or even his Ferris zero turn...nope, he's gonna use the crappiest push mower he can find, and mow his yard 400 sq feet at a time).

Got another one in the fall.  Cleaned the carb and it fires up and runs.  Needs work on the front wheel height adjusters and I think the gas tank has a leak, but it runs, so I'll mess with it when I need it.  It was free LOL

Have a little Toro that is probably from the early 90's that Dad uses up at my sisters. 

And then Dad has that old Yazoo self propelled push mower that he hasn't used since the early 80's.  That thing was a beast.  I'll fix it one of these days.  It ran when parked.  He just quit using it when he got the JD 750.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

i never get tired of hearing about your pop, lol....  and he uses a push mower  ? with a couple good riding mowers ? I'll have to think about this one. 

• Like 1

Well he picks all the weeds out of small square areas in the yard, and then only mows the areas that he's picked clean of weeks.

"You know mowers scatter weed seeds, right?"

So yep, new Ferris zero turn got used twice this summer.  The rest of his mowing was with an old POS Craftsman push mower.

His 1981 John Deere 750 with a grooming deck on the rear has about 400 hours on it.  The JD dealership tried for years to buy it back from him because it was still practically new and their cost went through the roof on small tractors. 

• Like 1

oh yeah.... i know about weed seed scatter ... it's super bad with disk mowers... and hay equipment that's one thing i agree with each time i got done, i broke out the leaf blower blew the seeds off. in the road / ditch before i pulled into another field. the plus side is those seeds would sprout .. and the roots helped keep the ditches from being washed away during heavy floods, also made the county jail make good use of inmates... gotta think smart ;) 

• Like 1

Well, if he'd mow more than once a month, the weeds wouldn't get tall enough to get those giant seed heads on them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2021 at 2:17 PM, Fishfiles said:

You'll guys are observant , I never even notice the rock till you'll said something , I was trying to figure out if  her bra was on backwards 

made me look 😀

9 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well, if he'd mow more than once a month, the weeds wouldn't get tall enough to get those giant seed heads on them!

i like eccentric people. ;~}

22 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well he picks all the weeds out of small square areas in the yard, and then only mows the areas that he's picked clean of weeks.

So yep, new Ferris zero turn got used twice this summer.  The rest of his mowing was with an old POS Craftsman push mower.

His 1981 John Deere 750 with a grooming deck on the rear has about 400 hours on it.  The JD dealership tried for years to buy it back from him because it was still practically new and their cost went through the roof on small tractors. 

I'm trying to get the ball rolling to see if my neighbors buddy will sell me his JD 400 garden tractor. I'd love to have it. 

22 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had to pick weeds by hand in a lady s flowerbed oh joy lol. Hated it mirco manage to the extreme 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just go ask him what he will take.... if you want it that bad, that's about the only way you'll know. 🙂

If your replying to me curious about that JD 400 mower, I'll ask but the guy is always concerned with making a buck, good heart but doesn't chat much. 

On 2/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, F250 guy said:

I had to pick weeds by hand in a lady s flowerbed oh joy lol. Hated it mirco manage to the extreme 

i volunteered, to pull dandelions, as a kid for a penny apiece., after 2 days, when i closed my eyes to sleep, all i could see was dandelions.

do they make lawnmower engines smaller than 5hp? seems in the day, 3.75 motors were common.  when i 1st. pushed a lawnmower, it was 2 cycle.  good push mower...

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

when i 1st. pushed a lawnmower, it was 2 cycle.  good push mower...

Could that have been a green " Lawn Boy " 2 stroker , my grandfather had one and I can remember pushing it , no power drive , that must have been around 1970 and can remember it was hard to choke it down even in high grass 

I remember his next mower was a Snapper with power drive and a bagger , that was a Cadillac at the time 

• Like 2

most of those LB had the exhaust expelled from underneath the deck i think, i only used one, once that belonged to a friend of mine a very quiet push mower. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, jeepwm69 said:

you should see him use a paint roller and roll on roundup in his yard....pretty funny... and really kills the grass too..lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/5/2021 at 5:17 AM, Fishfiles said:

Could that have been a green " Lawn Boy " 2 stroker , my grandfather had one and I can remember pushing it , no power drive , that must have been around 1970 and can remember it was hard to choke it down even in high grass 

I remember his next mower was a Snapper with power drive and a bagger , that was a Cadillac at the time 

nope, red., probably i was 11 or 12.. 1967,68. i think even lawn-boys might have been green back then. i think the engine was briggs. 2.1/4

Edited by LedFTed

Anyone have any experience with the Toro Aluminum decked mowers? My Snapper 21" is over 12 years old and still works great with the 6.75 B&S engine, but last year I installed a 1 size smaller belt and damaged the driveline by putting too much tension on the levers and such. Parts would be almost $150, which is fine, but I parked it outside one year & a lot of the bolts have corroded to the point of sockets not fitting properly and I don't think it would go back together without a tap & dye set. It's $500 at HD, but it's a 22" with a 7.25 B&S engine.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, texas123 said:

Anyone have any experience with the Toro Aluminum decked mowers? My Snapper 21" is over 12 years old and still works great with the 6.75 B&S engine, but last year I installed a 1 size smaller belt and damaged the driveline by putting too much tension on the levers and such. Parts would be almost $150, which is fine, but I parked it outside one year & a lot of the bolts have corroded to the point of sockets not fitting properly and I don't think it would go back together without a tap & dye set. It's $500 at HD, but it's a 22" with a 7.25 B&S engine.

I have had a Snapper before ,  they last  , got a Honda now ,  great mower , but I don't really even use it , the little bit that needs mower I just use the weed eater , never tried a Toro Aluminum 

• Like 1

hm.... an aluminum deck..... this would be a 1st for me, might not be a bad idea, I've seem some steel decks rot / rust away from the inside out, for the most part its been where the spindles bolts on, vibration and both of mine will collect water close to where both spindles are bolted on, but i always wash the underside, of the deck, and do my best to keep the blades balanced, this type deck has me curios. 

5 hours ago, texas123 said:

The aluminum deck is a good idea but the aluminum wears out at the height adjuster making them jump out of the notch. Toro came up with a shim to slip in between but it was just an after thought. They are a little brittle and the steel bolts like to break off in the aluminum threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i take it these decks are abit thicker then the steel decks ? bolts twisting off doesnt shock me at all.... 

Oh yes, the bodies are quite thick, anodized gray and considerably larger than the steel models.

The wheel adjustment did seem like a poor design, but It was steel.

I never washed the underside of my mower; I like to keep things dry & dirt isn't corrosive.

My Snapper had a single lever to adjust the height, which is what I liked when I bought it at Sears in 2008. It was identical to the John Deere mowers, other than the color. I'll take another look at it, but if it doesn't function better than my Snapper, I won't get it. Don't like being a test dummy. Oh, and Home Depot is really pushing Ryobi battery mowers; maybe 60% were electric now. Wonder if they own Ryobi now?

• Thanks 1