Medium Red

DG exhaust question TRX400EX

2005 TRX400EX. Doesn't seem they have this system on their website. Everything appears to have a round muffler now to boot. This one is oval and 4 screws holding end plate on. Wondering if anybody recognizes the model. I'm looking to add a spark arrestor as it doesn't appear to have one. I ride forest service trails and they require you to have one. I tried emailing them about it but it's been a week with no response.

muffler.jpg

header pipe.jpg

That is a stainless series dg full system. Looks like someone bent the stock heat shield and made it fit. It would have had a matching stainless dg heat shield originally. If i remember correctly this pipe used a supertrapp design with multilple plates on the end. It didnt require a mesh screen spark arrestor. Now one could easily be added but would require some modification. Take a picture of the end of the pipe and i will confirm it is a supertrapp design.

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Looks like it was also called the DG baja pipe aswell. I remember it as stainless series. But they have completely re-designed the stainless series and called it stainless v2 now.

• Like 1

Not a supertrapp design. This pipe was designed for use at the dunes. Thats why they called it baja. So no factory spark arrestor. But it looks like you could buy an hmf dome spark arreator screen and zip screw it on the end of that pipe. Take a measurement of the hole and i can confirm with my hmf spark arrestor. That way you know it will fit before ordering it!

Thanks! I found them online. I'll either go this route if it fits or maybe sell what I have and buy a different system. Just don't wanna spend the money on a complete system if I can fix this nice.

Ok outer edge to outer edge across the center is 2-7/16. The dome itself is just a hair under 2". It should fit perfect! Just would have to drill 4 holes in the outer ring and then into the tip end and attatch it that way.

Shouldn't that end piece come out? I had taken the bolts out, but the end was tight and I didn't want to force anything just yet. I have heavy stainless mesh and could fashion my own over the pipe maybe, and putting the end piece back on would hold it in place.... Hmmmm.... but getting that piece you have would be simple enough.....

23 minutes ago, Medium Red said:

Shouldn't that end piece come out? I had taken the bolts out, but the end was tight and I didn't want to force anything just yet. I have heavy stainless mesh and could fashion my own over the pipe maybe, and putting the end piece back on would hold it in place.... Hmmmm.... but getting that piece you have would be simple enough.....

Depends. Some pipes are designed to come apart from the end. Some come apart down at the other end. All of them are designed to be re-packed so it comes apart somehow lol. Any mesh screen will work. You also may want to take a glance down the end with a flash light and make sure it doesnt have one down inside the pipe further. Some had it at the base of the silencer. I know fmf was like that for sure.