kevin_c

trx350 mystery

25 minutes ago, kevin_c said:

Thanks @toodeep. I'm pretty certain it originates from the intake side rocker moving horizontally as evidenced by the different wear pattern on the tippets. Does that concern you at all? I know my springs are nearing the service limit I'm wondering if replacing them would help.

It is a relatively light tapping sound. Probably the only proper repair is a new cam and rockers. It looks like it was run low on oil with uneven wear marks. Perhaps just run it until it gets bad? You could get the parts if available and just keep them for a future repair?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Misterclean said:

It is a relatively light tapping sound. Probably the only proper repair is a new cam and rockers. It looks like it was run low on oil with uneven wear marks. Perhaps just run it until it gets bad? You could get the parts if available and just keep them for a future repair?

I'd agree with low oil causing uneven wear but the tippets are brand new. Cams and rockers seem hard to come by, but I'm going to take your advice and start looking 👍

• Like 1

From what I could hear in the video and going back and looking through the thread I personally would have no issues just running the machine as is. I see nothing that would cause any issues in the short and the long term riding of the machine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

@_Wilson_™Good job getting that video to work , I couldn't get it to work either -------  I don't really hear much >>>>>  too much rock music 

i can't hear much ether....lol! but, that engine doesn't sound bad at al, and @kevin_c the top end was refreshed recently ??

I don’t hear what you’re hearing kev. if you’re into the top end, you can look for parts but may take you awhile to collect them all together. 
theres a couple of orings in there, think they’re a little flat?

7 hours ago, toodeep said:

From what I could hear in the video and going back and looking through the thread I personally would have no issues just running the machine as is. I see nothing that would cause any issues in the short and the long term riding of the machine.

Thanks for this very well could be a ghost

25 minutes ago, Goober said:

I don’t hear what you’re hearing kev. if you’re into the top end, you can look for parts but may take you awhile to collect them all together. 
theres a couple of orings in there, think they’re a little flat?

Thanks @Goober. Its probably clearer in person. Yes I was thinking about that also but the o-rings are on the bolt side of the shaft on the outside of the valve cover. I'm not sure to what extent they would help the rocker stay put. I remember when I worked on the cylinder head that one of the intake side valves had a slight wobble when I spun it. Decided to replace it and move on. Perhaps that valve stem is a little stretched and its causing the valve to tilt slightly pushing the rocker arm sideways. Hard to imagine since it runs so well, but this is my first rodeo.

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i can't hear much ether....lol! but, that engine doesn't sound bad at al, and @kevin_c the top end was refreshed recently ??

Yes sir. I replaced the valves, seals, piston rings, and gaskets. I didn't touch the rockers, valve stems, and the springs are original. The springs are close to the service limit. At the time I did the top end I couldn't find any. Since then I've acquired 4 new inners and 3 outers just in case. 

• Thanks 1

Did you lap the valves when you installed them? If the valve and seat surfaces looked good after that I wouldn't worry, again. The rocker arm will have a little side play just because different metals expand at different rates and oil flow is key to keeping things moving. Your valve springs will effect more of the not reving out completely, valve float is what I believe it's called. Again, nothing to worry about in an old 350. If you was building a race ready ATC350X I might be a little more picky on the answers but I'm guessing your not running a 340b camshaft with all the other goodies so I will stick with just utility answers.

Go enjoy the machine and complain about the suspension.. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1