JohnB

2003 Foreman Hydrostatic

I'm looking for a manual for this - I've looked at the manuals link but I'm not sure if any of those listed match. Guidance and wise words gratefully received!!

John.

I left ya an explanation in your intro thread, let us know if ya can't find the '01-'03 Rubicon manual and I'll link it. Keep us posted on your work!

Thanks for the info and the direction. I did the service today - it was a tidy machine and the owner had jet washed it as well so no chiselling mud off!!

One unexpected thing was the oil fill. The manual says 4.9l when filter changed or 5.5l after a complete stripdown. Well this one took almost 6l and the level was still halfway between the marks on the dipstick. Any ideas? Is it because it is a hydrostatic (no mention of this in the manual)?

Anyway it should go back tomorrow but it would be interesting to know.

John.

Just in case you checked the oil without idling the motor first, here is the oil check procedure. Disregard this if you have....

oil-check.png

Thanks for the oil fill page - same as the one I used. I was a little concerned when I drained it down as I definitely got more than 5L out of the machine although the manual says 4.9L when replacing the filter.

I'll know for next time (which I'm sure there will be!!)

John.

• Like 1

Great, no worries then....! The Honda service manuals have many errors in them, maybe the oil volume listed in the manual is one of those errors.

• Like 1

One thing about those Rubicon's is it's easy to overfill the oil. Don't use more than 5 litres - that's the correct amount.

The best way to check the oil level is to do so after driving it a little while, not just idling.

Once it's up to operating temp, then it will show correctly on the dipstick.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, spock said:

One thing about those Rubicon's is it's easy to overfill the oil. Don't use more than 5 litres - that's the correct amount.

The best way to check the oil level is to do so after driving it a little while, not just idling.

Once it's up to operating temp, then it will show correctly on the dipstick.

Good to see you here Mr. Spock. Appreciated your help with my hondamatic last year.

• Like 1