Jemmons467

Thoughts on spring spacers?

This thought started out with me looking for ideas to help the front end sag while plowing. I found a few ideas where people used hockey pucks, pcv pipe or aluminum sping spacers to lift their machines. Has anyone used any type of spring spacer on their Foreman or any wheels for that matter?

• Like 1

My front end doesn't sag when plowing with mine, its only when I lift the plow up off the ground my front drops, but I don't carry it long, and its on the ground when parked....

• Like 3

have any pics of how much she squats, if it sits level when the is plow off... then I'd say the stance was right, if you add temp lifts to the front  .. then she's going to be higher when you have the plow off (if ever) just my thinking, i would likely add weight (sand bags /or another temp weight)  to rear rack to mash the the back end down, (the other  plus) it would provide better traction. 

I would have to look at it again to check the squat, the shocks are original and 20 years old. The plow is heavy and squats when I pick it up. I do have a long driveway and do drive with it up. 

I have heard of guys adding 2"s of pvc pipe to the shocks to extend them. Not sure how long they last...

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

on your other thread you had mentioned adding a lift kit, have you already done this, or still researching ? 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/1142-2000-foreman-450-lift/

I am still researching it. I remember reading somewhere different shocks from another model could lift it, which would be great cause like I mentioned earlier mine are the 20 year old originals

@_Wilson_™ here is a side shot of my Foreman with the plow raised. Looking at it, it does not seem to sag as much as it feels when I'm on it plowing. It also has the leafspring that connects to each a-arm that helps it not squat as much. Front tires are also around 3-3.5 lbs of air.

20210205_181543.jpg

20210205_181558.jpg

doesn't look all that bad (squatting to me) , but I'd add more air to the tires, like i asked is this going to stay on all the time ? and how do you drop it, just the blade with the underside frame / carriage mount left on ? cause that going to drag when / if you go riding in the woods or deep mud. ... looks like bolts already have ... also, i would loosen the leaf spring center (4 bolts) and take them out and flip them nut side up, and then while no weight is on the leaf spring outer clamps / bikes front suspension ... loosen those outer leaf spring clamps  .. adjust, and re tighten. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

doesn't look all that bad (squatting to me) , but I'd add more air to the tires, like i asked is this going to stay on all the time ? and how do you drop it, just the blade with the underside frame / carriage mount left on ? cause that going to drag when / if you go riding in the woods or deep mud. ... looks like bolts already have ... also, i would loosen the leaf spring center (4 bolts) and take them out and flip them nut side up, and then while no weight is on the leaf spring outer clamps / bikes front suspension ... loosen those outer leaf spring clamps  .. adjust, and re tighten. 

I aired them down to help with traction in the snow cause of the lack of tread, as you can see haha. During the winter I keep the frame on and pull the plow off when I am not actively plowing cause I drive my son around the yard with my son. And yes it does catch, I had to dig it out the other night because I didn't see a 3 foot snow drift as my son was screaming faster lol. Once the snow is gone I take the plow and frame off. I was going to flip the bolts and adjust the leaf springs because they are actually crisscrossed on eachother right now, I just haven't had time yet. 

• Like 1

I don't think it sags that much, if you stiffen the front end up your going to have a stiff ride all summer......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TBRider said:

I don't think it sags that much, if you stiffen the front end up your going to have a stiff ride all summer......

I did hear it makes for a stiffer ride, which I don't want. I was thinking it could double as a lift but I don't want it riding harder than it does.

do you have a pic before the plow kit was installed ? i agree with tbrider .. just doesnt look like it's sagging all that much, probably will also have less when the tires are aired up, but i understand the traction issue with the tires, but the added weight... should help with front down force, looks to me if you add a slight lift to the front and not the rear ... and then take the plow and frame off, she's going to be higher in the front. with a stiffer ride. I'd also chat with @Goober I've seen many post by him about show plows, what brand plow is that ? universal for many deferent atvs , or just for your model ? 

Jemmons , my buddy Ricky has a 300 2wd water atv with 30s on it , it is a 1st gen 300 and has McPherson coil over struts on the front , he made and installed spacers under his coils , it is the same as being a solid rod instead of a shock as there is no cushion at all , so yes , it is going to ride hard , very hard 

This is a out the box thought , I see people jam footballs , basketballs and soccer balls into the frames and pump them full of air to help lift the front end in the water ---------  maybe a football would jam into the front suspension and lift the front during snow plow time and could be removed after wards  ---- might be a new trend air bags , LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Life preservers were called Mae Wests.

The adjusted football airbags could be called Tom Bradies.

What size plow is that? since it has a front mount, all the weight is on the front. Can’t change it, but you could put a couple bags of sand on the back rack.

i prefer the mid-frame mounts for that reason. You might be able to buy a push tube kit and mid frame mount if you’re not happy with the front frame mount

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1