jeepwm69

Full power/speed in reverse on 01-14 Rubicons

Did this to a buddy's bike a while back, and need to do it to the Rubicon I picked up.

When you put a Hondamatic Rubicon in reverse, the computer limits the speed/power.  You can trick the computer into thinking the transmission is in forward and have full power backing up.  Keep in mind THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS SO DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.  I believe Toodeep mentioned adding a switch allowing it to be put in "full power mode" and then switched back to regular mode in case the bike is loaned out or has kids riding it. 

Anyhow, it does come in handy if you're in some bad stuff and need all the power you can get backing out.  Your display will read L instead of R when you put the machine in Reverse, but the red Reverse light on the dash will still light up.

This will involve two switches on your Rubicon.

The first is on the gear shifter. It is small and has two wires connected to it. Remove the small screw that holds the switch to the shifter assembly and place the switch behind the shifter, this is done to keep it from operating while in reverse.  Remove it or tuck it out of the way in case you want to put it back later.

The second switch is the gear position switch, it has 4 wires and is located on the frame, more or less under your right butt cheek if you're sitting on the seat.  4 wires in a square plug, White, Gray, Light Blue/White, and Light Green. Unhook the connector and you want to use the switch side of the connector to do your modifications.   Find your Gray wire and your White wire (do it on the motor side of the plug, so you don't mess up your main harness). Cut the gray wire, leaving enough length to connect it to the white wire. Where you cut the gray wire, use the end that goes to the switch, NOT the end that goes back up to the connector. Take this end and connect it to the white wire.  Once you have the gray wire coming from the switch connected to the white wire you can plug the connector back together. Now you Rubicon will go as fast in reverse as it does in forward gears. 

AGAIN, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Maybe @toodeep can show us how and where he wired in a switch to go from normal to full power.
Edited by retro
Exported back to thread
  • Like 1

I've never done it (about to to my sxs for plowing) but all it would take is a DPDT on/on switch. One way it would reconnect to the gray wire and the other way it would connect to the white wire. On the other side you would wire the little reverse switch so when you was in the modified mode it would disconnect a wire going to it but when back in normal mode it would reconnect so the original switch would still work like it was designed. Like I said I've never done it but it works in my mind. 😀

• Like 1

Sounds like a good place to use a relay in line with that two-wire gear shifter switch..? The DPDT gear position switch could be used to energize the relay to open that circuit temporarily maybe?

Hmmmm.

So white/grey on one side of the switch, and have the relay trigger (either hot or ground, depending on what that white wire does in the grand scheme of things) hooked in there too so when the relay is activated it disconnects the two wire shifter switch?

White/white on the other side of the switch.

That sound right?

I don't have the circuit in front of me, but I imagine if the relay was used to break open either wire going to that switch the circuit would be defeated. Same as if you disconnected one of the two wires from the switch... that switch could not work.

I would test that first... or look it up in the wiring diagram. Then snip one of those two wires close to the switch. Connect one snipped wire end to relay #30, the other snipped wire end to relay #87a. So in normal operation the mounted switch would still work. But once the relay is energized by the over ride switch #87a would be open circuit.

EDIT: Relay #86 would be connected to positive voltage from the override switch, relay #85 connected to ground. OR, depending on how the override switch works, #86 might be connected to fused & switched battery voltage, with #85 getting its ground from the override switch.

A relay could be used but I think it could be accomplished with just a simple switch and running some wires. A visual of what i was thinking. Switch up would be modified and switch down would be normal.

switch.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah your method negates the relay... its simple.

Thanks guys.  Yeah Toodeep's little picture makes me think I got way off the reservation making that more complicated than it needed to be.

So I'm reading down through this post, and I'm wondering why ya think this would need a relay? Then I keep reading and see you guys agree with "toodeep". 

Crap, now I don't have a basis to ask any kind of question. Well, there goes that opportunity to get a "post count"! :classic_sad:

• Like 1