freebo86

Can’t catch a break. Shift problems

Nice find and good call retro!

Glad you dont have to tear it down any further

You can probably pick a good used OEM one on ebay for not too much

I would stay away from the China ebay stuff 

• Like 2

Freebo , Is that the one got thrown against the wall  !!!   Or  Chinese , same difference ---- I have a used one , don't know if it works or not , off a parts bike , Retro help me , it's your free if you want it !!! 

• Like 2

I’d say this is the OEM one from 2004 with the 8000miles on it. 

By the time I pay shipping lol I’m in Canada..

You guys think a starter shop could repair the magnet side and reinstall magnets of correct size, shape etc? I mean this shift motor is pretty similar to a starter or any armature style setup. 

Are different models interchangeable? Partzilla only lists compatibility between 98-04 450s.. 

Edited by freebo86

5 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

I’d say this is the OEM one from 2004 with the 8000miles on it. 

By the time I pay shipping lol I’m in Canada..

You guys think a starter shop could repair the magnet side and reinstall magnets of correct size, shape etc? I mean this shift motor is pretty similar to a starter or any armature style setup. 

Check the cost of postage from 70445 < I might pick that up 

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Check the cost of postage from 70445 < I might pick that up 

Looks like $30. I won’t let ya pay for shipping if you want to help out I’ll cover that! If it works lol!

Put 12V to it and see if the thing sounds and powerfully. Then flip the two leads to reverse direction. If it sounds the same it’s good. 

1 minute ago, freebo86 said:

Looks like $30. I won’t let ya pay for shipping if you want to help out I’ll cover that! If it works lol!

Put 12V to it and see if the thing sounds and powerfully. Then flip the two leads to reverse direction. If it sounds the same it’s good. 

I'll  pull a used shift motor off a 450es engine in  the morning , send me your address in a PM , and  send you a shift motor and I will pay for the shipping as I owe Retro a few pass it forwards , if it doesn't work , maybe you could use the housing and make two out of one 

• Like 3

Im looking for a shift motor. 

The reason I mentioned starter was to take the housing (shift motor) into a starter SHOP to see 

If the boys could fix this just like they fixed starters and replace brushes etc. But I understand that this one the magnets are gone.

@Fishfiles, I’ll pm you my info. 

• Like 1

Glad ya found the problem freebo86! Looks like Fishfiles gonna help ya out, thanks Fish!

When you get that shift motor freebo86, take it apart and clean the parts up. If there is any corrosion in it use sandpaper to get rid of it. Check that the brushes are free in their holders. Reassemble with syn grease packed in the bearing & bushing & nose shaft seal and wet the rubber sealing gasket on all sides with silicone gasket maker before bolting it back together. You can practice reassembly on your broken one while waiting for the mail if ya have any doubts.... 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

Spoken like a veteran! 🙂

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Freebo , Is that the one got thrown against the wall  !!!   Or  Chinese , same difference ---- I have a used one , don't know if it works or not , off a parts bike , Retro help me , it's your free if you want it !!! 

No that was definitely me that threw one against the wall haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

By the way, in case you find a junk shift motor someday from a Rancher 350 or Foreman, the outer housings & magnets are the same on all of the early ES shift motors. All parts interchange on them except for the nose/reduction gear castings. So hang on to your old shift motor parts, you may be able to help someone fix their ES someday.

Smokin gun. You replaced this motor recently?

Edit: my phone didn't refresh the page before I replied. Great that you found the problem 

Edited by Tim-ANC

9 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Smokin gun. You replaced this motor recently?

Me? No. I have not. All I did a few months ago was pulled it to clean grease and apply new grease. Prior to that the PO never done it so this thing is original since 2004. 

1 hour ago, retro said:

By the way, in case you find a junk shift motor someday from a Rancher 350 or Foreman, the outer housings & magnets are the same on all of the early ES shift motors. All parts interchange on them except for the nose/reduction gear castings. So hang on to your old shift motor parts, you may be able to help someone fix their ES someday.

Thanks! Thanks to everyone also, great pointers and excited to be back to hear that engine tick! Tackle that lol next. 

• Like 2

freebo' , I got a shift motor , with the angle sensor attached  off an engine and boxed up , going to "try" and get the package to the post office tomorrow 

fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Fishfiles said:

freebo' , I got a shift motor , with the angle sensor attached  off an engine and boxed up , going to "try" and get the package to the post office tomorrow 

fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpeg

Owe you bud. I’ll be sure to pay it forward! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freebo86 said:

Owe you bud. I’ll be sure to pay it forward! 

our home here is all about members helping members, we don't care about getting rich ...what we care about is helping out where we can ?!..this my friend is what makes this forum the best on the net !.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Jemmons467 said:

So did you get the parts you needed installed and how is it shifting for you?

Freebo has his engine torn down at the moment , he has another thread going on that topic  , check it out 

• Like 1

Been working a lot so it's hard to catch up haha. Only get on for a few minutes here and there.

• Like 2