Jemmons467

Old school gas cans

Do any of you miss the old gas cans with the flexible hose? I do not like the new style where you have to press buttons in and make sure the darn thing is catching on the side of your gas cap to push down. I feel I spilt less with the old put the hose in and pour. 

I had to get gas for my wheeler today and I only have the new cans and that thing would not stay latched open and kept slipping out of my tank. 

Sorry I just miss the old style haha

• Like 2

Order the old style from Canada and have it mailed to you, you can order replacement pour spouts here.....

• Like 2

Even more important than the spout to me is the vent. I bought a bunch of vents on eBay and they were pretty cheap iirc. 

F00BEC3D-6D70-4878-AF9A-A2F16FDE89C0.jpeg

• Like 4

Yeah, I spill more gas using the environmentally safe cans than the older ones.

This Sure Can has been great after two seasons of use. Spendy though. 

20210207_140239.jpg

• Like 1

Yes agree, those newer gas cans almost require a college education to operate some of them.  Thankfully I have 2 or 3 of the old ones yet my GED is all I need....lol

• Like 4

i still have my old gas cans, plus I've update to a military jerry cans, for plain gas storage here, and for my 2 cycle mix this little one gal jug. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, tooomuch7 said:

Buy the replacement flexible spout for it and put a vent in it. Menards sell a kit with spout and vent. 

I'll look into that

Remember not to leave your plastic cans in the sun. Breaks down the plastic. I have about 8 of the old ones, most of them 30 years old and look like new. My buddies that left theirs exposed to sunlight have had them all fade and crack. I'm certain that most of you know this though.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PROV said:

Remember not to leave your plastic cans in the sun. Breaks down the plastic. I have about 8 of the old ones, most of them 30 years old and look like new. My buddies that left theirs exposed to sunlight have had them all fade and crack. I'm certain that most of you know this though.

I keep mine in my garage.

I didn't keep the ad or anything, but I think I saw it on Facebook.  Ad for old fashioned normal usual gas can spouts that just screw on to you new government screwed up gas can.  Apparently they only screwed up the spout, not the can itself.

dc

• Like 2

I do not know why I never looked for replacement spouts for the can, I guess it never came to my mind. I did find replacement spouts on Amazon, I just need to measure my can to make sure they will fit and I'm ordering one.

I realize common sense is not common anymore but its much easier to take ones time to make sure the spout is in the tank before pouring than some of the safety cans are to use. 

We have a local ACE that is kind of like a old country hardware , they sell the replacement spouts to go back to old school , I have bought a few ,  but a lot of new cans didn't have a vent hole and with the new old style spout with out a vent ,  it does flow well unless you tilt the can just right , so a hole needs to be drilled in the can , I put a screw in the hole to act like a plug , kind of cheesy ,   there has to be something out there that would make a good tap in vent plug ----thought about gluing in a plastic fitting and threaded cap with 3M5200 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

We have a local ACE that is kind of like a old country hardware , they sell the replacement spouts to go back to old school , I have bought a few ,  but a lot of new cans didn't have a vent hole and with the new old style spout with out a vent ,  it does flow well unless you tilt the can just right , so a hole needs to be drilled in the can , I put a screw in the hole to act like a plug , kind of cheesy ,   there has to be something out there that would make a good tap in vent plug ----thought about gluing in a plastic fitting and threaded cap with 3M5200 

Look at the ones I posted above.  You just drill a hole and pop them in, usually with a rubber hammer.  They were 6.95 for 20.  Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug-Vent-Cap-Chilton-Brigg-Rotopax-Gott-Rubbermaid-Anchor/261376946220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Look at the ones I posted above.  You just drill a hole and pop them in, usually with a rubber hammer.  They were 6.95 for 20.  Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Yellow-Fuel-Gas-Can-Jug-Vent-Cap-Chilton-Brigg-Rotopax-Gott-Rubbermaid-Anchor/261376946220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank you , i must have missed your post of those plugs , I just order 4 , expensive buggas , but should clean my cans up really nice , I already have a small hole for the screw , so it is just going thru that same hole and enlarging it ---- 

What size drill but you used ???

boy oh boy ----   did I mess up , looks like I just order 4 sets of 20 !!    guess they were not as expensive as I thought , LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Might be able to contact the seller and reduce quantity before they ship

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

boy oh boy ----   did I mess up , looks like I just order 4 sets of 20 !!    guess they were not as expensive as I thought , LOL 

well if you  cant get the order changed, you'll be set for life on those, would be super nice to have that luck on honda oem parts. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

Might be able to contact the seller and reduce quantity before they ship

I sent him a message , hope it gets looked at before they send it off in shipping , no biggie if not , I know a lot of people that have equipment , I'll pass the wealth to those that use cans ----

• Like 1

Oh gosh! And I thought I had a bunch with 20 and I gave several to friends...

Use a 31/64 drill bit.  Some I can then push in with my thumb.  Some I have to hit with a hammer - I use a rubber hammer.

• Like 1

Well, i might could take 10, got some old gas cans. they are plastic though.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1