Pilgrim

TRX300- Centrifugal Clutch or Friction Plate problem???

Brand New to this forum...........................

I have a 1994 Fourtrax 300 4WD that hasn't been used in approx. 5 years. I knew I wasn't going to use it for a while so back then I removed the battery, drained the gas tank completely, drained the carb and stored it indoors in a nice garage under the house out of the weather. It ran pretty ! good when I put it away.

Last fall I decided to break her out of the garage for my annual hunting trip in Maine.

I got a new YUSA battery, changed the oil and filter cause I couldn't remember last time I changed it (yes I used a good wet clutch oil from a local Kawasaki dealer that assured me it was correct type). The oil was very clean that I drained as I only used this machine once a year for hunting. To my surprise she fired right up and ran as good as it did 5 years ago when I stored her in the garage.

Here's my problem.......When I put it in first gear the engine spins and spins as I increase the throttle and eventually she starts moving; when I hit second gear it spins for a few more moments and then feels like the tranny is catching up to the engine, same in 3rd 4th and 5th gear. Eventually she goes like ! but it takes a while.

I used it everyday for 2 weeks last November and it didn't seem to get any better. The most I drove it each day was no more than 15 minutes at a time on old logging roads. I didn't dare go off road with it in fear of getting stuck. This machine used to climb very steep grades effortlessly.  I put it away in November but just got a chance to seek help in this forum.  I plan to work on this as soon as weather gets a bit warmer here in Northeast and I have a game plan for attacking my problem.

My question is do I have a friction disc problem or centrifugal clutch problem or something else I cant think of? I have read lots of threads on the internet and watched several you tubes about TRX300 clutch issues and don't seem to be able to diagnose my problem definitively. This motor does not smoke and feels real strong other than not moving very good right now. I am interested in only taking off that side cover once and want to know what preventive things I should replace so as to ensure good performance for years to come.

I've not worked on anything internal on the this engine on this ATV, just external stuff like carb cleanings (remember the shadetree sticky for carb cleaning? its laminated and attached to my workbench) and starter and brakes etc. I am not fearful of tackling anything on this thing cause of the help available on this forum.

Advice and thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 2

It sure sounds like you have a non wet clutch compatible oil to me.....

Sounds like the wrong oil, change it out for a T-4 or T-6 from shell

I would start with a change clutch adjustment and see if that changes anything before going any further.

forgot to mention in original post I did the clutch adjustment back in November when this symptom first appeared so i could get it to drive up the ramps of my trailer.

• Like 1

Here is a link to the issue I had & how I fixed it...from what u are explaining & the year of the quad, for peace of mind, I’d pull the clutch cover off, inspect both & replace what u need to or both for that matter. 

• Like 1

going out on a limb here, so bare with me. first off, clutches sitting for that many years tells me the plates and weights in both clutches are very well known to '' stick ''. by this i mean, the oil that was in them form a bond, and does not let the friction plates to work like they should. also, very well could be the clutch was not adjusted the correct way back then ?. sooo..start with the clutch adjustment, if that fails ?, then its time to pull the clutch cover, yank the clutches ( you have to pull the centrifugal clutch in order to remove the change clutch ), wash all the plates and fiction disk very good, then soak them in fresh engine oil. this might be a good time to even just replace the friction disk seeing how old the atv is, and you already have the cover off. if it were me ( and i know its not ! ) i would replace the friction disk, replace the centrifugal clutch arms. if you go this route ?, make sure to soak all parts in fresh engine oil at least 30 min's BEFORE you install them. WORD FROM THE WISE ( ME )..LOL, THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH NUT IS LEFT HAND THREADS !!..so it turns clockwise to remove !!!. the change clutch nut is reg right hand threads. DO NOT DISTURB THE ONE-WAY BEARING IN THE CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH HOUSING WHEN YOU PULL THE WEIGHTS OUT !!!!. last but not least, you should order a clutch cover gasket to replace the old gasket..YOU WILL NOT GET IT OFF IN ON PIECE TO RE-USE !!. pull the oil filter pick up screen out when you do all this, this is the time to clean it !. pay close attention to the reverse lever as you pull the cover, and when you install the cover back on, the spring on the reverse lever LOVES TO POP DOWN, AND TAKE OUT THE GASKET UNDER IT !. do not use rtv sealant as a gasket on the clutch cover !.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My head hurts after reading all of the Wheeler link “clutch replacement” I won’t be tackling this job for another month or so but glad I have all this reference material. I.m sure I’ll have lots of questions when I get into this project. Thanks for the info all.

• Haha 1

I have had a friction stick and have had luck popping it and getting it to unstick , adjust the clutch first , then to pop it , from neutral shift up as far as you can and hold the shift lever up  with your foot , this is like it is in neutral ,  give it throttle , hold on and let your foot go --after about 3 tries and it not working , give up on that 

• Like 1

Fish,

This sounds very logical and will be the first thing I try when I start this project once the weather warms up.  THANKS!

@Pilgrim sorry to make your head spin! I get carried away posting & pictures sometimes. It’s really not hard to do. It pulls soo much better! 

Great thread! If i was doing it I’d buy all the replacement parts: friction disks, springs, weight set and gasket. Clean the oil screen. Did i miss anything?

• Like 2

I haven’t disappeared.  I will be doing the friction plate and centrifugal clutch job problem in April/May.  I will definitely replace everything you mention when I get into this project.

• Like 4

Well i never did get around to this project in April/May but the TRX300 is now in my garage and i am about to really start this project because I am going hunting November 1st and need this oldie gut Goldie to get me to my stands. 

1 hour ago, Pilgrim said:

Well i never did get around to this project in April/May but the TRX300 is now in my garage and i am about to really start this project because I am going hunting November 1st and need this oldie gut Goldie to get me to my stands. 

You didn't leave yourself much time for  parts ordering and unforeseen problems to arise , hope you got all your parts in hand     -------    good luck with that 13 day deadline 

Fish,

I'm going hunting November 1 not October 1.  43 days.............LOL.  Thanks for thinking of me though with the deadline. 

BTW I have never bought parts from anywhere for this machine but a Honda dealer. that dealer is long gone now.  Where is a good place to order up my gasket, friction plates and discs and centrifugal clutch parts?

I'll be checking in often to give updates on my progress once I get this thing apart.

• Like 1

Yep  , I  was losing a month on you  --------   year is going quick enough with out helping it along   ----

Rocky Mountain ATV has better prices than Partzilla does on OEM parts -------  EBC makes a good clutch kit 

Fish,

Your post about deadline inspired me to get off my butt and  go out and first adjust the clutch as YOU  suggested way back when before I do anything internally. I then proceeded to shift through neutral all the way up to 5th and hold shifter up and then release shifter.  The machine went forward ever so slow. I repeated a couple more times.  I think it freed up the friction plates! I can ride it up a real real steep driveway without it feeling like its slipping.  it seems to shift a bit rough through the gears but it does shift. I slowed the idle down a bit in neutral so it doesn't clank into first gear.  Been so long since I drove this machine not sure if they all shift rough going through the gears..................the shifts dont seem very smooth.

Let me know what you think.  i may not have to do anything internally.  Certainly will change out the 5 year old oil.

Pilgtim

Fish,

I'm going hunting November 1 not October 1.  43 days.............LOL.  Thanks for thinking of me though with the deadline. 

BTW I have never bought parts from anywhere for this machine but a Honda dealer. that dealer is long gone now.  Where is a good place to order up my gasket, friction plates and discs and centrifugal clutch parts?

I'll be checking in often to give updates on my progress once I get this thing apart.

• Like 1

Maybe you can change that 5 year old oil , adjust the clutch again and ride it around a bit and see how it feels 

Rocky Mountain ATV has better prices than Partzilla does on OEM parts -------  EBC makes a good shift clutch kit ----  

47 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe you can change that 5 year old oil , adjust the clutch again and ride it around a bit and see how it feels 

Rocky Mountain ATV has better prices than Partzilla does on OEM parts -------  EBC makes a good shift clutch kit ----  

That's my plan. This machine has never been abused other than me not using it for 5 years...................

• Like 1

Put some synthetic in there.  I've found it gives much smoother shifts in my footshift machines.

I use Rotella T6 5W40.

Changed the oil.  I is Ed valvoline ATV wet clutch 10-40. The machine shifts great and does not slip at all on steep inclines. 

Thanks all for your ideas that saved me from having to get inside the engine.

• Like 3