Wheeler

Block Heaters

As some of u may know, my block heater crapped out. Just found this out in the crazy -40+ cold snap we had. I had to replace my battery as well. So today I tested the wire harness. I have a block heater that was factory installed as I bought the 2017 Nissan Rogue & it was already there. It had a lil fancy plug bolted to the bumper. I tested the harness & had .5 ohms resistance. So I knew the wires are good up to the heater. I as well tested voltage & 120v. So that’s good. However I found out I have an engine oil pan heater. It tested as open circuit & 0 ohms. I seen the name Defa & found out it’s a safe start series. I contacted their tech support & they verified I should have .5 ohms resistance at the heater itself. He said there is an internal non replaceable fuse (so u don’t burn the car down) inside. He said they have a low failure rate but it happens. Here’s the good part. It’s not easy to get at. So I call dealer for price... they tell me they don’t seek those types & I must have installed it.. I laughed.. uh NO I bought in brand new like this. So they gonna get back to me with a price. So I then call the dealer I bought it from.. they tell me same thing.. we don’t sell those... well HELLO!!! I bought it from u guys brand new with this installed. They now tell me the same thing.. we have to get back to you with a price. 

here is what I’m dealing with...

5DB06124-63DB-4555-B162-1A2F81C09A5D.jpeg

54994196-53FA-4E2D-ACB7-69099414634B.png

• Like 1

The dealer I bought it from called me back. They have record of the install but call it a “block heater” & want $327 to replace. Damunnn!!

your right it doesn't look easy to get to!  something like this is what i was thinking.

wow, that's pricey, did he happen to mention what all had to come off to replace ? 

image.jpg

I used to have one that held itself to the stamped steel oil pan with magnets.  That's great unless you have an aluminum oil pan or a compound curved steel pan.

• Like 1

i agree, looks like a few things will have to come off, kats makes some good after market pad heaters ... but i doubt they will heat one in those low temps, just in case you choose to go aftermaket ...  you could check the site out.

https://katsblockheater.com

The local to me dealer called back. Can replace it they say for $100 for the heater kit, & $68 labour.  So goes in Friday for replacement. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

good deal! wheeler ... I'm always curious to see a broken or burned up part, do you plan on asking for the old unit back ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

The local to me dealer called back. Can replace it they say for $100 for the heater kit, & $68 labour.  So goes in Friday for replacement. 

Good deal.  Especially in this type of weather.

• Like 1

Sure sounds better than $300 plus for sure wheeler....

• Like 1