hawk

I'm losing my mind - testing angle sensor

Long story--short version.  I trouble-shooted my ES shifting problem on my recently obtained 2002 Rancher 350 ES to the angle sensor.  Following the testing procedures in the service manual the angle sensor failed the resistance check while manually rotating the sensor shaft.  I performed the test according to the manual between the terminals for the blue/green contact and the yellow/blue contact.

I ordered a new OEM part. The OEM part arrived.  I checked it...got nothing when rotating it on any meter setting.  Just a big fat "1."  I sent it back as broken.  Meanwhile using a lot of electrical spray cleaner and compressed air, I managed to get the old sensor working.  It had good OHM readings so I re-installed it.  The Honda now shifts great, but I'm not for certain how long my cleaning will hold up.  So, I wanted to still replace it since I've confirmed the problem.  This time I ordered two sensors because I was feeling loony.  Both from Amazon. One was OEM (again), and the other aftermarket.  This way I had a range of sensors to compare.

I pulled both out of the box to test and got even crazier results.

The new (again) Honda sensor will not show a change in resistance no matter how I rotate the shaft.  It begins to read on the 200K ohm scale at 91.3K ohms.  No change rotated in either direction, plus there is no "stop."  It continues to spin in either direction.  The was the same as the other Honda sensor I had already returned.

The aftermarket sensor was completely different. 

I testing the aftermarket sensor using the 200K ohm scale.  There is a "stop" on the shaft.  Beginning at one "stop" the meter reads 0.2K ohms and it does increase as the shaft is rotated counter-clockwise all the way to 5.4K ohms.

Did I get a second bad Honda sensor from a different vendor?  Is that possible? 

So, my second OEM angle sensor is....bad?  And it has no "stop."  The stop may not be necessary as it will only go as far as the shaft turns it, but it is weird.

Hopefully, I'm just making a stupid mistake and am getting too old to see it.

Finally, I did not install either of the new sensors yet for an operational test.  I'm still running on the old "cleaned" one that works.  I realize that installing both of the new sensors may shed more light on my testing prowess if both work, but my back yells at me for needlessly bending over when I don't need to.

I would like to hear some stories from those of you who have tested old sensors against new sensors.

thanks for reading

Hi: In 2014 Honda started replacing the angle sensor with a Hall Effect angle sensor -- you can't test it using a meter -- you need to test it by applying 5 VDC to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melatv said:

Hi: In 2014 Honda started replacing the angle sensor with a Hall Effect angle sensor -- you can't test it using a meter -- you need to test it by applying 5 VDC to it.

Are you saying they replaces the old style with the Hall Effect on 2014 and newer machines or that the new replacement parts are now all hall effect. Because he has a 2002

OMG, Bingo.  Thank YOU so much!  That makes a ton of sense.  I will check that tomorrow. 

Just awesome.  I can sleep now. 

• Like 2

Great information!

This forum rocks!

I think it should be good for the 00-01 Rancher 350ES models as well

I see it says 02-06 for the TRX350FE/TE but I am pretty positive 00-06 are all the same 

typo maybe?

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

I'll bet the Hondamatics are different.  The ES and DCT are similar in that they have actual gears so the travel the angle sensor measures is only on the shift shaft.

The Hondamatic swashplate moves a lot further than the ES and DCT shift shaft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1