LedFTed

generator

Columbia Gas brought out a 500' roll of 1.25" yellow plastic, 500' of tracer wire and two risers.  They inspected the ditch and risers prior to back fill then tested after I filled in.  I rented a trencher and bought all the black iron pipe for $365.  Highest gas bill so far was about $120 for heat and cooktop.  Mother in Law lived with us that winter and it was a cold one too.  I like it so much I sold my splitter.  Still cut and split some Ash for fun once in a while and have a couple full cords just in case.

• Like 1

I'm not a plumber, just an old pipeliner, worked on supply lines from 2"- 48". Both gas and oil. Did a little bit with residential but not much, up here they run all plastic pipe in the city's not steel, I forget what line pressure they run, but it all gets knocked down before it goes into the house.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TBRider said:

Do you guys run plastic pipe for that? Then change to steel after it comes out of the ground?

here it's steal, then changes over to copper, on the city gas system,  for tanks it its copper, then steal under ground, then changed back over to copper when it comes out of the ground. 

never mind , double posted by accident. mods can take this out, if need be. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I have a 6500W Honda Generator and a transfer switch wired to the house.  My stove/oven, water heaters, heat, and dryer are all natural gas, so the generator and transfer switch allows us to do business as usual as long as we don't need the A/C.

Dad bought a 30KW Cummins LNG liquid cooled standby 4-5 years ago, which is still sitting in their garage, not hooked up.

Last time they lost power, Mom was not very nice about it. LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

probably, a lesson learned too late, for this year. hope the weather forecasters ring true, an it passes over. ya know what they say;, Wish in one hand, an spit in the other, see which comes true.

spit is spelled wrong. 🙃 h

Edited by LedFTed
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I have a 6500W Honda Generator and a transfer switch wired to the house.  My stove/oven, water heaters, heat, and dryer are all natural gas, so the generator and transfer switch allows us to do business as usual as long as we don't need the A/C.

Dad bought a 30KW Cummins LNG liquid cooled standby 4-5 years ago, which is still sitting in their garage, not hooked up.

Last time they lost power, Mom was not very nice about it. LOL

i get a kick out of your description, and yet again we learn of another  unused item your father has, now let me ask, is there any reason the gen set has never been used ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

On 2/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

i get a kick out of your description, and yet again we learn of another  unused item your father has, now let me ask, is there any reason the gen set has never been used ? 

He has to pour a slab to set it on.  "Hasn't gotten around to it"

• Like 1

After Florence came through in 2018, we got a 20kw Briggs and Stratton for our house. Our house is 2 story and about 2900 square feet.  The guy we bought our generator from, said it should run the whole house. We have a large propane tank that they estimated if it ran all day ,everyday, it should last about a week if every thing is on. We have a fire place but it needs the flue repaired as the last time we had it cleaned they told us. I personally want to use wood and not propane in there as a back up. 

Same guy we purchased through came in January to service them. I opted out and glad I did. He charged $200 last year to service it and check the output. Ok no big deal since it was only a year old, might find something wrong with the box. This year my in laws and brother in law both were charged $400 to service and a battery. $189 for the battery and the rest service charge! I had about $40 in my oil, filter, and 2 spark plugs. He used STP filters last time and no idea on the brand of oil. Pretty sure he lost some customers over these services. I could walk through the door at Napa and get a battery for about $110. The ones in there were from Battery's plus and pretty sure they should of been under warranty as he said they wouldn't start. They are programmed to run every Tuesday at 2pm for 20 minutes. Mine wouldn't start either but I believe the starter solenoid was sticking because after a few tries it started. In laws have a Cummins generator over at their farm and he charged $1200 for that!! Ill take that job any day. Told my father in law we can do them all next year.

We may never need it again, and I hope we don't but we sill have it . My parents are up in age and I really wanted somewhere they can be if this ever happens again. 

• Like 2

I have a 7500W Generac portable genset. 30Amp twistlock connector tied in to the house panel. I have to cut the main power and then turn the generator breakers on and plug unit in. I have gas stove and plenty of grills outside. The 7kw will run most anything in the house except AC and heat. Water heater and drier run fine except not at same time. At night I have a 2kw Honda inverter gen that we will run a drop cord into the house for fridge and a couple fans if summer and fireplace blower if winter. It will run most of the night on 1G fuel.

• Like 3