freebo86

Bearclaw vs. Maxxis

Howdy, my 450 currently has BearClaw 27x9x12 on all 4 wheels. I feel like this tire size on this bike seems too big in additions probably puts additional strain on components.

Stumbled on a new set of take offs from a 1000 Pioneer SxS, tires are Maxxis MU25 and MU26 (25x8 & 25x10) so basically OEM style size tires.

What's everyone's thoughts on these vs. the BearClaws I currently have? Worthwhile to downsize? Are the decent tires? The BearClaws I would say have probably just over 50% left (I would have to measure to confirm) but the take off Maxxis are brand new. What I use the bike for or intend to use it for once it runs properly 🤪 is mainly trail riding and it does get muddy around here.

I know the trails u ride, as I mentioned to u that I lived there for many, many years. I personally wouldn’t run an OEM tire there. I would at least stick with the bear claws. But again.. that’s from my experience & personal opinion. 

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

I learned to stay out of tire type threads ,  cause you need to talk with people that ride in the same soil conditions as you , a tire that works for someone on a rocky trail is more than likely not be the best tire for clay or sand  or slop , seems Wheeler ^^^^ is the guy that is familiar with what you ride in  

I will say that 450 can handle 27x9x12s easy with no problems , I would run 12 wide in the rear and either 10 or 9 wide in the front 

• Like 2

i couldn't agree more ^^^^ why dont you pics some pics, and or videos of your riding terrain ? the more info posted, the better. 

• Like 1

Lol, I get way too excited when I’m out there to take photos. But basically, on one side of the river it’s pretty hilly, rocky. On my side, it can get wet and muddy. There is some hard terrain. 

I’m not a swamp type of guy and if the hole looks somewhat sketchy is stay out. Honestly, there is a bit of variety depending which direction you go. 

Now I did get another guy selling Maxxis Bighorns.. also 25s.

So can someone enlighten me what’s so superior about the BearClaw vs. the MU25/26s or the Bighorns? These BigHorns aren’t new.. one could use a patch I guess. 

3FFD1F0C-A82E-460F-BE2E-FFB9D4CA9B56.jpeg

8079361A-4F39-43A6-AF65-0A833062D957.jpeg

I'm running a set of 26" bighorns on mine, they do me alright, they have over 5k on them still look new...

I had mu25 and 26's on mine, took them off and sold them. They are fine on rocks, gravel and some loose soil but if you have to go through any kind of mud, muck or snow they aren't very good in my opinion.

• Like 1

The pioneer 1000 comes on 27s so they must be from a Rubicon maybe??? I would stay with the 6 ply bearclaws over a 4 ply stock tire any day. The 450 should be able to handle them about like stock tires since they run short and your running skinny.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! Good info. So basically stay away from the MU 25/26s. Even the BigHorns are a no go? 

Sounds like the bearclaws are really a good tire then?

• Like 1

I ran the BugHorn 2.0s on my Brute Force back there. They did really good except for deep mud. They  are a great trail tire though..

Great info. I measured out the BearClaws, they are over 50% worn...

The BigHorns look half decent in the photos i got, buddy only wants $60 for them. Granted one has a plug the other 3 are good.

Edited by freebo86

Something to think about freebo , if a tire is 50% worn , the best 50% is already gone --- personally I think  the tires are trash when 25% is left cause there are hardly any threads left at that time , so you are really only getting 25% of the life of the tire and that 25% is not that good ---just saying 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Something to think about freebo , if a tire is 50% worn , the best 50% is already gone --- personally I think  the tires are trash when 25% is left cause there are hardly any threads left at that time , so you are really only getting 25% of the life of the tire and that 25% is not that good ---just saying 

Good point, I do agree. Just another reason why I am willing to change them out 1) due to size 2) due to the tread as they are quite worn.

Maybe I should check out the BigHorns and see the condition their actually in.