Bandit95

Combination meter 02 450 foreman

I've got this dumpster fire of a bike. I've checked everything on it, all the usual sensors wires all that. The manual says the grey black wire in the meter plug should have continuity with ground. It does not. Is that what could be preventing my electric shift from working? I thought that the meter was just a display and there was no output. However if that's the case the manual wouldn't include the meter in the troubleshooting section for the ES. None the less one of the first few things to check. I took the board out of the meter. Checked continuity throughout the trace from Grey black to ground, it doesn't pass through components. So I'm not sure at this point. I've emailed the guy who fixes these things he hasn't gotten back to me yet. But I'm running out of ideas here. The issue is that I have no codes, and the ES doesn't work. New angle sensor, most the other sensors check out. Just no ideas at this point. Thanks

Hi: Big Welcome Here --- Start with letting us know about your bike -- full ID ---- Make -- Year -- if TRX??? 

Ah yes. It's a 02 trx450fe with es trim, if that makes sense. The sticker and title say fe but the plastics say es. Not sure which is which 

9 minutes ago, Bandit95 said:

Ah yes. It's a 02 trx450fe with es trim, if that makes sense. The sticker and title say fe but the plastics say es. Not sure which is which 

Welcome to ATVHonda.com ... 

Up to 2001 they were listed as a TRX450ES , which is electric shift , full time 4wd  ,  2002 up they called them TRX450FE , electric shift , selectable 4wd/2wd 

Ok that clears that up. This is an fe then. I'm having trouble finding people that know these things inside and out. If you don't mind I'll copy and past my whole biography of this thing of what I've done maybe someone can help me 

15 minutes ago, Bandit95 said:

Ok that clears that up. This is an fe then. I'm having trouble finding people that know these things inside and out. If you don't mind I'll copy and past my whole biography of this thing of what I've done maybe someone can help me 

I am sure that everyone here will try to help you out the best they can , we got a good group of ATV guys and you are one of them now  ----  when  talking  about the 450s , there are 2 generations , 1st gen is full time 4wd , 2nd gen is selectable 4wd/2wd , then both of those models came as ES or FE ( electric shift ) or FM or S  ( foot shift )   I have 2 450s myself , both are foot shifts , a 2000 S and a 2002 FM ,  but basically the same ATV and most parts interchange 

• Like 1

So I have an 02 450es. I've spent probably close to 10 hours diagnosing and checking connections all to find nothing leading to the shifting issue I'm having. It will not power the shifter motor. There's no codes. And if I go to retrieve them, it still says no codes. No flashes nothing. I've tested the motor with 12v. Did almost every diagnostic in the manual for the es shift. I have a spare ecu for it I tried but when that one is plugged in, the gear indicator flashes constantly with no stop. So I took it out put oem in. And it stays solid neutral. I can shift gears manually no problem. I took the shifter motor off, the grease is bad whatever. But the motor itself still isn't actuating. I've checked just about all the connections. They are all brand new inside. The handlebar controls ohm out with button pressing. Gear position indicator works. I have a rectifier coming, angle sensor coming, and had a ecu coming before the guy broke it getting it off the harness. But if he will send me the cracked ecu I will test it. I've taken the motor apart, used a scotchbrite pad on it lightly to clean up the contacts and put it together the motor runs. But something is keeping it from getting computer power. I think it's either the ecu or the dash. The computer doesn't actually know there is something wrong, it's an 02, 02s throw codes. This one has none and is dead in the water. Runs. But no shift. I put in a new honda angle sensor. I've checked over the harness for cuts there's nothing. I haven't cut open the casing, only in one part by the grounds by the stem. I tried a different battery.

On the ecu side of the red yellow wire I'm getti g battery voltage. The black blue wire on the other side eof the ecu that goes to ignition is 1 volt power than battery voltage, 12.5. I've also been keeping it on trickle charge

I've done all that already 😅😅 I have two ecus. A new one that flashes the neutral light constantly with no stop, or the old one that the neutral light is steady on no flash. Niether gives a code. And both are oem. The video went over a few things. I have known good shifter switch controls, I tested them as well. I bought a brand new oem angle sensor, even though the old one tested fine. The speed sensor is original, but it also tested fine. 5v+ when 4wd tires are moving and the speed registered on the dash. I have a known good rectifier coming, which probably won't help because the charging system doesn't affect the ecu I don't think, if the bike is off. The only abnormality I'm seeing is that the combination meter Grey black wire does not have continuity with ground. Do any of you think you can test yours for me? I doubt your bikes are apart but if for some reason someone had a combination meter laying around they can try it

Do you know there is a 1st gen ECU $300+ and a 2nd gen ECU $250+ , they are different parts numbers ,  since you get different results from the two ECUs you have , I would guess at least one must be bad , or maybe one bad and one wrong   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bandit95 said:

I

I ran into a very similar issue awhile back (and if you can believe it) I overlooked a bad fuse in the fuse block.....

Did you first verify continuity from the gray/black wire from ECU plug to combo Meter gray plug?

Keep in mind that the gray/black wire check from the combo meter big gray plug (with speedometer installed) to body ground has to be done with the key in the 'ON" position and transmission in neutral as well

No continuity= bad meter

Continuity= bad ECU

Can you verify that the part numbers properly match on the labels of the ECUs that you are using?

The older 98-01 ECU part number on the label will end in A11 if original, A12 if its the newer, superseded part

If its 02-04 and up ECU (Yours) should end in 771

See this is the information I'm looking for!! Ok so I did check, continuity from ecu to Grey plug is good. Grey plug on meter side, to ground is none. So the question is, I read that the meter is not essential to quad function and is only a display. However I don't believe that because the manual wouldn't include meter testing in the ts section for ES if it didn't matter. However now that I think about it. If the plug is undone for the meter, and the ground for the meter is in the plug. How would it connect to ground lol. 

I'm likely doing this wrong as it doesn't make sense. Do you leave the meter plug connected to the ecu with key on and then test via probing or? 

• Like 1

Yes but what's weird about that is if the meter is unplugged from the harness there is no ground connected so it will not have continuity to ground. The ground from what I'm seeing is in the harness 

• Like 1

I would think the picture is goofy

I would think you would need to backprobe the plug as how would you get

any ground from an unconnected speedometer

It would be the same as if it was on the workbench -lol

Not the fist time I have seen something goofy in the manual

Did you verify fuses and ECU part numbers by chance?

Been working on these meters for quite awhile and have yet to see one cause the shift issues you are having

My thoughts are more on the ECU being wrong/bad, I have had a few give me fits before and

were hard to pin down, replaced ECU with a known good one after eliminating all else and problem solved.

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 1

Ah ok yeah that makes sense. And also makes sense of the "key on in neutral" part. I'll back probe the meter in a bit I'm actually picking up a couple parts for it now 

it would make more sense to check the frame mounted portion of the gray plug that connects to the meter, not the actual plug of the meter itself

the picture in the manual would not make it seem as such....

Edited by AKATV

Do you have battery voltage on both legs of the 30 amp shift motor fuse?