ChadD

2000 Honda rancher trx350fe issues

Hello, recently bought an extremely used and abused rancher. I had to put a new piston and jug and crank in it. I have it running and it seems to run great. The issue I have is that even thought it says its in neutral it seems like it is in 3rd gear. I tried to ride it but was afraid i would burn up the brand new clutches. I also replaced the centrifigul clutches along with the drum and the one way bearing. it will shift from N to 5th with either the electric or manual shifters, but like i said the gears indicated are not the actual gears. I also seem to never be able to find actual neutral. I did a search and cant seem to find anyting similar to my issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

as I was telling you on other site, that year model was prone to have the shift drum snap off at the back end, defect from the factory, but seeing how you say you can change gears with the emergency shifter and electric shift, this leads me to think your having issues with the transfer gears at the front where the electric shift motor is. or..the angle sensor is not working right ?. I would also be concerned about the gear position switch at the back of the motor, inside the rear cover.

• Like 1

the meter display should show you what gear your in , if it shows dashes -- -- ?, then either the angle sensor is bad ?, or the gear position switch at back of engine is not turning ?, which leads me back to my very first statement, broken shift drum at back of motor !.

• Like 1

It sounds like the long pin on the gear position switch was not lined up with the "N" mark on the switch when the rear motor cover was installed. Or that switch or harness connector may be bad? See section 10, page 11 of the service manual.

gp-switch.png

• Like 2

Generally, ES bikes didn't break the end off of shift drums. That was an FM model problem.

if you do end up having a broken shift drum at the back end ?, honda came out with an updated shift drum to solve them from snapping at the end where the gear position switch turns.

Just now, retro said:

Generally, ES bikes didn't break the end off of shift drums. That was an FM model problem.

yeah, I wasn't for sure about the es models, but your right..it did happen a lot on the manual shift models.

Yup, his is still shifting too, so its probably the GP switch wasn't lined up right when the cover was put back on. Its easy to test by using a multimeter before ya tear the back cover off. See the attachment.

gp-sw.png

• Like 2

Just now, retro said:

Yup, his is still shifting too, so its probably the GP switch wasn't lined up right when the cover was put back on. Its easy to test by using a multimeter before ya tear the back cover off. See the attachment.

gp-sw.png

what I failed to leave out though, is he never mentioned anything about removing and installing rear cover ?, but this does not mean someone else did before he got his hands on it huh ?..lol.

The gear indicator shows the gears N though 5th as I shift. But when it is in "N" neutral it acts to me like it's in 3rd or could be 2nd. I rode it around the yard but it lugs hard and I didn't want to burn up brand new clutches so I stopped. This motor has been completely apart and even split the case to install a new crank.

• Like 1

Grab your multimeter and check continuity between wire colors and ground as the manual shows, while shifting through each gear. I think you'll find that the switch pin is turned 180 degrees from where it belongs when you installed the rear cover. Its easy to correct.

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

what I failed to leave out though, is he never mentioned anything about removing and installing rear cover ?, but this does not mean someone else did before he got his hands on it huh ?..lol.

He replaced the crankshaft, rear cover gotta be removed to pull that off. :-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChadD said:

The gear indicator shows the gears N though 5th as I shift. But when it is in "N" neutral it acts to me like it's in 3rd or could be 2nd. I rode it around the yard but it lugs hard and I didn't want to burn up brand new clutches so I stopped. This motor has been completely apart and even split the case to install a new crank.

ok, now we're getting some where !. I hate to say this, buttttttttttt.. ( gotta love it huh ? ), your gonna have to rip it all back apart, make sure you put the tranny together right ?, install the gear position switch correctly !, make sure the clutch is installed right, and adjusted right !. double, triple check all your work as you go, it sounds like you rushed through this, and now its not right..sorry I hated to tell you this.

I will check that asap. Insure hope it's something that easy. Motor has been installed and removed 3 times already.

• Like 1

Just now, retro said:

He replaced the crankshaft, rear cover gotta be removed to pull that off. 🙂

yep, I missed that part..my bad, time out corner for me ?..lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, ChadD said:

I will check that asap. Insure hope it's something that easy. Motor has been installed and removed 3 times already.

haha...try doing a trx500fm, get it all apart, all back together, only to find out 1st gear was bad ?..lol. I had to rip a brand new machine all back apart. ( for the record, 1st gear was a defect from the factory )..lol.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

ok, now we're getting some where !. I hate to say this, buttttttttttt.. ( gotta love it huh ? ), your gonna have to rip it all back apart, make sure you put the tranny together right ?, install the gear position switch correctly !, make sure the clutch is installed right, and adjusted right !. double, triple check all your work as you go, it sounds like you rushed through this, and now its not right..sorry I hated to tell you this.

You could be right, as I was tapping the old crank out the trans fell out. I have a manual and put it together and tore it back apart 4 times trying to make sure it was right. Good lord I was hoping for something else. I got another engine I need to be building.

IMG_20191031_204545_426.jpg

Speed reading again just like the old times, ehh shade....? :-)

Its an easy fiix @ChadD, no worries. But verify before you take it apart in case its something else.

Just now, retro said:

Speed reading again just like the old times, ehh shade....? 🙂

Its an easy fiix @ChadD, no worries. But verify before you take it apart in case its something else.

sigh..yes..speed reading has always been my down fall !..lol.

• Haha 1

one thing is for sure chad , if ya do have to pull the motor, split it again ?, your in some dang good hands here to guide you step by step !.

2 minutes ago, ChadD said:

You could be right, as I was tapping the old crank out the trans fell out. I have a manual and put it together and tore it back apart 4 times trying to make sure it was right. Good lord I was hoping for something else. I got another engine I need to be building.

IMG_20191031_204545_426.jpg

I sure hope you dont put that motor together wrong !!!..lol.

in the future, when and if ??, you have to split the rancher motor again ?, pull the tranny out first before you do the crank, then install crank first , then the tranny when going back together. this way you wont have a mess !. this only  applies if your doing crank work !.

4 minutes ago, ChadD said:

I got another engine I need to be building.

Do share please? What are you building? Is it a roundy or a drag car?