ChadD

2000 Honda rancher trx350fe issues

Thx guys, believe I'm gonna take each shaft and one at a time take them apart and clean and double check that they are indeed put together correctly. Clean the shift drum and make sure it's clean and doesn't have any burrs or worn out.

• Like 1

I was able to use the SM page showing a breakout of the main and countershafts.  Just take extra care to get the oil holes in the bushings lined up correctly for lubing. 

• Like 1

when you get all the inside together, when it comes time at the very front, make sure your putting the star wheel back onto the end of the shift drum facing down on the small pin, where the center bolt goes ?. before you tighten down the case bolts, use the emergency shifter ( or whatever you got ? ) to shift through all the gears, and make sure it shifts correctly. at the back end, make sure the reverse lock-out piece is installed and facing the correct direction on the end of the shift drum.

• Like 1

Ok got all the shafts cleaned and lubbed and reinstalled what I'm almost positive is correct. I didn't find anything that was out of place or looked suspicious. When I turn the shift drum it moves the shift forks fine. Guess we will see. I will definitely go through the gears before I put it completely back together.

• Like 1

I'm really concerned because it really looks like I put it together correctly the first time. But I guess we will see. 

Are you turning the shift drum completely both ways, don't just twist to make sure it moves?  It should move thru the gears both ways without binding, it does a little when the forks have to move sharply up in the drum grooves, but still not bind.....

25 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Are you turning the shift drum completely both ways, don't just twist to make sure it moves?  It should move thru the gears both ways without binding, it does a little when the forks have to move sharply up in the drum grooves, but still not bind.....

Yes sir. It basically turns about 320 degrees.

When you get the halves together turn the shaft then change clutch goes on and watch the output shaft. As you turn it you should be able to shift through all the gears and see/feel the speed difference in the shaft. Neutral will be nothing of course but that was the main problem to start. 

Bearings good in both halves especially in the trans areas??

1 hour ago, bcsman said:

Bearings good in both halves especially in the trans areas??

They all turned smooth.

Well then take the advise of shade and toodeep when you get the halves together to test the shifting.....

• Like 1

....and of course, never overtighten any of the cases bolts. They're sensitive to warping when bolts are overtightened, which sometimes causes binding of the shift drum.

Still gotta check that GP SW before the rear cover goes back on too.

Well got the cases back together and everything required to turn the motor and shift it. Doing the same thing. Grabbed a cold one and shut up the garage and came in the house. Also found this hiding on the bench. Anybody have a clue where it might go? 

20191211_205501.jpg

20191211_205521.jpg

Errmmm.... not sure about that washer, but it might belong on the reverse lockout lever shaft? The manual should provide a clue.

So it still doesn't shift.... try loosening the case bolts just enough where they are still snugged up and try shifting it again.

It shifts, but the gears are still not correct. I'm gonna tear it all back apart in the morning. Neutral is still not neutral. 1st isn't 1st so on and so forth.

9 hours ago, ChadD said:

Lol. Shadetree that's exactly what I was thinking. I have went back through the manual and I can't find a thing wrong with it. This is exactly how it came out. Looks right to me.

20191211_150444.jpg

in this pic, looking straight down once its all in case, could you see all letters facing up on shift forks ?. if not ?, then one of the shift forks was upside down.

if and when your hair is pulled out ?, load it up, bring it over to my house, i'll fix it !..lol.

1 hour ago, ChadD said:

Well got the cases back together and everything required to turn the motor and shift it. Doing the same thing. Grabbed a cold one and shut up the garage and came in the house. Also found this hiding on the bench. Anybody have a clue where it might go? 

20191211_205501.jpg

20191211_205521.jpg

its a thrust washer, which and where ?, I could not tell ya.

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

in this pic, looking straight down once its all in case, could you see all letters facing up on shift forks ?. if not ?, then one of the shift forks was upside down.

Yes and I even read through the manual and made sure that each fork went into the appropriate gear. I'm sure it something little I am over looking and it really ! me off.

8 hours ago, ChadD said:

Yes and I even read through the manual and made sure that each fork went into the appropriate gear. I'm sure it something little I am over looking and it really ! me off.

ok, well, lets take a step back shall we ?. first things first, double check that all the gears are facing the correct way when installed on the main shaft ( tip : you can look at the matting other gear , and see wear marks ! ), and the counter shaft ?. second: make sure all washers are where they are suppose to be ?, if my memory is still good on this model ( that don't say much..lol ), there should be a thrust washer on the bottom of both shafts when you install them down in the case ?, I don't have my service manual in front of me to verify this ?, so please check !. when stacking the tranny, you will need to slide the output shaft down in the rear case bearing, this means there should be a large gear sitting down in there when you slide the shaft down in, and through the gear. third: place the correct shift fork in its correct spot, with letters facing up, R on bottom, C in center, F on top. MAKE SURE YOUR INSTALLING THE TRANNY INTO THE CORRECT CASE !!!!, if your installing all of this in the wrong case ?, then it all will be backwards !!..surelyyyyyyy your not doing this....right ??..lol. ). forth, move the shift forks out of the way a tad, so you can install the shift drum, pin faces up, slotted end down. fifth : carefully with a mech's pick ( its what I use, reach down in between the shift forks and shift drum, and lift the forks up, and into the correct groove on the shift drum. yes, you must lift them a tad, if your not doing this ?, then your not getting them into the shift drum groove !. sixth : once all forks are into the shift drum grooves, oil up the fork shaft, carefully slide it down into each shift fork, this is tricky, cuzz as your doing this, you run the risk of moving the shift fork tang out of the shift drum grooves !, this is why I use my mech pick too steady them as I am installing the tangs into the shift drum.

At this point is makes no difference if the shift drum is not in neutral or not ?, you will get to that point here soon, so don't worry about it for now. after you get that all installed, install the reverse idle gear, thrush washer on top of it, thrust washer sits on top of large gear. I don't recall if a thrust washer sits down on shifting shaft at this point or not ?, check the manual to see BEFORE you install upper engine case half !!. matter of fact, double, triple check all places where a thrust washer may go BEFORE you install upper case half !. At this point, you can now lower the upper case half down on the lower case half.

. install your oil pump on the crank, the oil pump must be lowered down in there as your installing the centrifugal clutch primary gear, bolt the oil pump lines down, install the change clutch, don't forget to make sure all washers are installed where they should be ?!!. there is a large washer that goes under the change clutch. do not install the centrifugal clutch yet , you need the room to stack all the shifting shaft parts in here. slide the thrust washer down on the shifting shaft, carefully line up the star wheel with the small pin, and the hole in it, install the center bolt in the star wheel. check to make sure which way the shifting parts stack next. slide the shifting arm down on the shaft, it will only spline down on it one way, as you get to the case, notice which way the tang on it sits down in between the return spring ?!. now attach the long spring to the hole in the metal bracket, if you followed the manual, post a pic so we can see how you installed everything ?. if everything is down in there right ?, install your centrifugal clutch, washer, it has words on it, says '' this side out '', make sure you install it on the crank facing the correct way ?!. hit it with your air impact, double, triple check all your work, slide cover on, couple bolts hand tight, then just barely snug them.

Now flip the motor over. on this side, your output shaft has a large gear that slides on it, then a large thin washer, if I remember right, there is another gear that sits right next to it ?, ( again..i dont have my manual sitting in front of me ..sooo..if I am wrong ?..please dont sue me !..lol ) find the end of the shift drum, there should be a pin or two that pokes up from it ?, install them if it calls for them. find the gear position cup, and the reverse stop lever. install the reverse stop part, if installed right, the long end of it should face about 4 o'clock position ( give or take ), next install the gear position cup, then bolt it onto the end of the shift drum, next locate the reverse stop lever, it has a spring that wraps around it, with a hook on one end. carefully install the lever with long end facing the stopper part, it should rest right at about the 4 o'clock spot under the tang sticking off the reverse part. install thrust washer on reverse lever shaft. check the tang on gear position switch, longer end faces letter N on top of switch. double, triple check all your work. its best to make sure your shift drum had that slot facing that section on the case before you installed the parts to the end of it ?, this should give you neutral from here on out ?. slide case on after you re-checked all your work, couple bolts hand tight. sit motor up. vise grips on shaft on left side, reach around to the output shaft, try spinning it , it should free spin if you have it in neutral ?, lift up on vise grips, you should now be in 1st, try spinning output shaft again, it should be very hard to turn. if you have another pair of vise grips ?, I clamp them on the output shaft to spin it. if you found first ?, lift up on vise grips, while your spinning output shaft at the back, you should hear it '' click '' so to speak ?, means your now in 2nd. keep doing this through all 5 gears ( this is a 5 speed ). if all checks out, now just shift back down, while spinning output shaft. once you get back down to neutral, it should stop there, you wont be able to go to reverse until you get the reverse cable attached to the reverse lever to pull the shaft, to lower that tang inside, so the shift drum will rotate further.

If I got something out of line here ?, I am sorry, its hard to do from memory, please forgive me :-). 

Shadetree, if you wrote that from memory then I'd like to know how many times you have done this little job. Impressive.

Once you get the cases split again spin the shafts with everything in place and see which gears are engaging when it's in the neutral position. Everything in your pictures that I can see looks right on the previous page but I can't see everything either.

Well I did find that the m5 gear on the mainshaft was on backwards. But when I put the shafts back in everything was still spinning. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the countershaft not spin if the shift drum is in the neutral position?

3 hours ago, ChadD said:

Shadetree, if you wrote that from memory then I'd like to know how many times you have done this little job. Impressive.

I have split a few trx350 ranchers, even converted a 2wd to 4wd..lol.

1 minute ago, ChadD said:

Well I did find that the m5 gear on the mainshaft was on backwards. But when I put the shafts back in everything was still spinning. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the countershaft not spin if the shift drum is in the neutral position?

if shift drum is in neutral ?, then both shafts should spin freely.