ChadD

2000 Honda rancher trx350fe issues

The do spin freely but not independently of each other. Maybe I worded that wrong. If it's in neutral should one spin but not the other.

6 minutes ago, ChadD said:

The do spin freely but not independently of each other. Maybe I worded that wrong. If it's in neutral should one spin but not the other.

if the tranny is in neutral ? , then both shafts should spin freely. in other words, if shift drum, all parts are installed correctly ?, you should be able to spin both the main shaft, and counter shaft 360 degree's both ways. if one of them lock at a certain point ?., something is wrong.

Yes, if it's in neutral you can spin the main shaft (clutch) and output shaft independently (you can hold one stationary while turning the other). Then you should be able to see which gear is engaging if it's not doing that. That will be the problem area with a bent fork or something installed wrong. 

15 minutes ago, shadetree said:

if the tranny is in neutral ? , then both shafts should spin freely. in other words, if shift drum, all parts are installed correctly ?, you should be able to spin both the main shaft, and counter shaft 360 degree's both ways. if one of them lock at a certain point ?., something is wrong.

You remember that washer? It doesn't show one in my manual on the shift drum. I'm about to try it and see. What's the worst that happens I have to pull the shafts out for the 34th time today. Lol. It fits perfectly on the shift drum.

20191212_134019.jpg

Well I still don't know if it's actually right but I can hold one and spin the other now. 🍻 and I'll wait for what you guys say.

No washer on the shift drum. Do you have one on the shift shaft sitting on the snap ring?

Just now, toodeep said:

No washer on the shift drum. Do you have one on the shift shaft sitting on the snap ring?

Yes sir. This one was found laying on the bench under a rag when I was cleaning up so I could tear down the motor again.

I suppose the star is supposed to take up that slack when it's bolted on so it wouldn't need that washer. But as it sits with the washer it actually seems to be in neutral.

There's a washer on both sides of the case on the shift shaft. If yours is a foot shift model there's one on the reverse stopper arm. With the washer out can you see which gear is just engaging?

That’s a thrust washer.

Could be from a couple places.

did you pull the starter gears out? Got them handy? Sometimes the starter gear set has one

Well just pulled the washer out and just set the case back on and bolted the star to the end of the shift drum, everything seems to be shifting like it should and I still have neutral. Dang M5 gear but let's hope it all works when I'm done putting it back together.

1 minute ago, ChadD said:

The washer in question is identical to the one on the shift shaft.

20191212_141814.jpg

after case is down, that washer then slides down again on the shaft , before you install the shifting parts. thought I mentioned this in my write up ?..lol.

10 minutes ago, ChadD said:

Well just pulled the washer out and just set the case back on and bolted the star to the end of the shift drum, everything seems to be shifting like it should and I still have neutral. Dang M5 gear but let's hope it all works when I'm done putting it back together.

lol, your not the first to install a gear backwards, and deff wont be the last !..lol. been there, done that= guilty !.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

after case is down, that washer then slides down again on the shaft , before you install the shifting parts. thought I mentioned this in my write up ?..lol.

You probably did, my brain has moving at 100mph trying to figure out the tranny issue. I will go back and re-read it. Thanks again.

Just now, ChadD said:

You probably did, my brain has moving at 100mph trying to figure out the tranny issue. I will go back and re-read it. Thanks again.

haha..no biggie bro, we're all in this together !. one good thing about the members here ?, we do try to help each other !.

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

lol, your not the first to install a gear backwards, and deff wont be the last !..lol. been there, done that= guilty !.

Still makes you feel stupid. Lol

Just now, ChadD said:

Still makes you feel stupid. Lol

trust me, i've done a lot of stupid crap in my life time building atv engines/restore projects, it all comes with the job !..lol.

Just now, shadetree said:

trust me, i've done a lot of stupid crap in my life time building atv engines/restore projects, it all comes with the job !..lol.

Amen brother, Amen.

case in point, a few years back, tightened down the last bolt on a trx300fw engine, was going through parts box, seen a thrust washer, looked at it, looked at motor, said a few curse words ( a lot really ! ) it was the one dang washer that installed on the tranny shaft , at the bottom !, you can figure out the rest, lol.

Dumb question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but I'm gonna ask. This engine has maybe 5 minutes of idle time, new gaskets for the top end or can I reuse them?

3 minutes ago, ChadD said:

Dumb question I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but I'm gonna ask. This engine has maybe 5 minutes of idle time, new gaskets for the top end or can I reuse them?

as long as you did not tear any of them ?, re-use them. as for the head gasket ?, other than torqueing it down a tad harder ?, in a pinch, I spray it down on both sides with a product called copper spray, you can find this at autozone, advanced auto, prob even wally world ?. works great, light coat on both sides, dry a tad, install, good as gold for me.

and there is no such thing as a dumb question with atv work !, the only dumb question ?..IS THE ONE YOU DO NOT ASK !!!!!..LOL.

Lol. Spoken like a true hotrodder. I know copper spray well. We have done stuff at the track and be like it will never ever last but we gotta try. And go many rounds just waiting for it to break. Lol

3 minutes ago, ChadD said:

Lol. Spoken like a true hotrodder. I know copper spray well. We have done stuff at the track and be like it will never ever last but we gotta try. And go many rounds just waiting for it to break. Lol

i've had great luck with it, used it a few times, had to use it on a '99 2-stroke Yamaha waverunner on the header gasket, it never leaked.