Bob06Rubicon

Rear drive leak

Hello. My Rear drive is leaking a small amount gear oil after use. It seems to be coming from where the drive shaft cover bolts to the rear differential. Does any one have any experience or words of wisdom for a fix? Thanks

Hi Jay..Bob here, thanks for the reply. I took the skid plate off. It seem to be dripping out between the bottom bolts then running down the skid plate and coming out the hole at the bottom of the plate. I'm not sure when the oil was changed last

20210220_153752.jpg

• Like 1

Doesn't seem to be much of a leak. Probably a seal in there.  Try re-torquing the bolts

hey bob, your welcome.  if I'm seeing this right ? (blew your pic up some) and i believe i see the rear end vent line hooked up ? and this is the only place it leeks ? simple first check would be the rear end vent line for blockage, and the rear has no roar or strange noise ? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

Hi jay. No noise,doesn't leak any where else. It runs great. Not sure how to check the vent line though. I tried to follow it but i lose it by the gas tank..thanks for your help

take it off the rear end , and blow through it, with ether low compressed air with a blow gun, (i believe i see an air compressor in the back ground) another thing comes to mind you say it's never been changed ? are you the original owner of this bike ? because some people who don't know, fill these rear ends all the way up, which is a NO NO! 

If u haven’t water in your rear end they are prone to leaking ( especially if the vent line plugged or blocked.) make sure your oil is good if u haven’t already done so..

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Bob' -----  I would guess the final drive pinion seal is bad , oil leaked into the swing arm tube and is leaking out the oring connection between the swing arm an final drive housing 

• Like 3

glad to help, so the vent line was plugged ? i would have changed the oil to, (thumbs up) glad your back up and wheeling again. 

• Like 1

On February 20, 2021 at 6:01 PM, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the forum Bob' -----  I would guess the final drive pinion seal is bad , oil leaked into the swing arm tube and is leaking out the oring connection between the swing arm an final drive housing 

i agree ^^^  one way to check this is raise the rear of the bike (chunk higher then the swing arm boot) and let it stay that way for while, then loosen  the swing arm boot pull it back ,and see it there's any gear oil in the shaft housing. more then likely if it is leeking what gear oil leeked  out would be slung around by the rotating drive shaft, you would certainly be able to smell it, it had leaked into the swing arm. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

rear pinion oil seal or rear output shaft oil seal is bad. also check the large o-ring right there at the diff where it attaches to swing arm..4-bolts area.

• Like 1