Chevymec

1985 350X

A while back I posted a picture of a 1985 350X a friend has and he wanted me to get running again. Not sure how long it has sat in the barn covered up, but it was long enough the gas turned to a solid powder in the petcock. His dad called me one day and wanted me to do it without him knowing so he brought it over to me.  First thing was to look it over to see what it needed. It is in extremely good shape for an 85 because it was rolled over at 1 point by a family member and pretty much only thing left good was the motor/trans. New frame, tank, handle bars, body fenders. To the tune of $2500.... this was atleast 25 years ago. He also put 3 new tires on it before I got it. 

I ordered a carb kit, grabbed a napa gold oil filter,  Vavoline 4 stroke atv oil, a new UNI air filter, a new plug, fuel filter and a new petcock.The air filter turned to dust as soon as a touched it.

Went through the carb with a Shindy kit and cleaned the passages. Soaked part of the carb in a carb bath and the other with can cleaner. 

The tank was a little challenge. Didn't want to use water or anything expensive so I used a handful of bb's and kept shaking. Used my air blower and shop vac to catch the rust dust. It came extremely clean.  Filled the tank with some ethanol free 91.

Put it all back together. Oil looked almost new so I decided to start it. Took a few shots of starting fluid but finally kicked it over and it ran after adjusting the idle.  It will start up in about 3 kicks.

Took it on its maiden voyage through the back field. .Man, this thing drove and rode like a Cadillac. Got it back and changed the oil and filter I hated for it to go home, but I really didn't want it here or I would of sent a few tanks through it. 

The red farings I put back on the tank.  I had taken them off when cleaning the tank. 

20210206_141744.jpg

20210121_192333.jpg

Edited by Chevymec
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Man that thing is legit! Brings back a painful memory or two lol. Well done!

Thanks! Man the power this thing has felt crazy. I never stabbed it WOT because I could tell the front would stand up or atleast it felt that way. It has been probably been over 20 years since I rode on 3 wheels when I had a 110 Honda.  

• Like 3

Hats off for bringing the beast back to life. Very rare ATC nowadays. Been a long time since I’ve been on 3 wheels myself. 

• Like 2

Great score, they are a gold mine now for what they originally sold for. 👌

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ATC4ever said:

Great score, they are a gold mine now for what they originally sold for. 👌

They thought it needed a tank. I looked real quick online and found a trashed tank in ebay for over $300!  

• Like 1

Outstanding job on this one.
😎 your use of the BBs—very clever—perfect use. They’re dense, small, smooth, round, cheap, pick em up with a magnet,—everything you need to remove corrosion from the inside of a fuel tank.
Only other thing you might consider is use of vinegar to remove remaining rust staining. Because you didn’t, you were able to skip the acid-neutralize step. 💯  

• Like 2

The owner FINALLY rode it after all this time lol. He told me it fired up on the 4th kick. He wants to get the rusty spot on the left side of the tank fixed but I told him I wouldn't get it painted. Although not the original tank, it is an OEM Honda tank. 

• Like 1