Kevron

Broken key

Hey guys, anyone have any ideas on how to remove broken key out of the ignition on my 2012 Honda foreman? It was frozen and tried to turn and it broke half off. Would it be easier to get a new ignition switch? Thanks 

a small diameter stainless wire (barbed) on the end with a file might work, just make sure the ignition is thawed up and lined back up to the off position, one more question, is the flap on the ignition closed ? 

i agree, we need pics. 

image.jpg

if it's broken off below the flap, you should be able to hook it, just push the flap back and work you way in with a small diameter stainless (barbed) wire, bout like working with a loose tooth, just takes time, and the right angle, and tool. so i wouldn't be so quick in adding a new ignition switch to the list just yet, also do you have the spair key ? if not dont throw the snapped off key away, before you get the 3 digits off off of it. right under the weather cap one letter and two numbers. 

Edit: those 3 digits also should be on the ignition switch. just easier to copy them from the key, i see from an older post, (in the old forums) you lost the original ? so i gather this is key that snapped was a duplicate ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™

sadly no, not honda keys, and, not on most keys ..(i would say ?)  keys are made of softer material ... so the key will wear down, and not the internal parts of the lock. 

good deal kevron

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Thanks 1

if he's got the stock original spair key, I'd copy those three digits down, and try and fish the snapped off  key out, it's not that hard, what cost is having a copy cut, you could even cut one with a drimmel, i believe shade has cut one with a drimmel before, just saying. 

It's a PITA getting a new switch installed (fishing it down through everything, and plugging it in).

If you have a spare key definitely try to dig it out.  I got a good set of pics from Sears for about $7 that I use all the time.

If you do need a new switch, powersportsnation.com has OEM switches with a key cheap (prices include shipping)