SittyDown

04 Rubicon 500 intermittent spark...

51 minutes ago, SittyDown said:

I was happy @Fishfiles, that’s for sure...thank you for that spec!! I think I may not have gotten them perfect, but it was such an improvement I know I’m on the right track finally. I broke the .009 blade on my feeler gauge (trying to bend it) but that’s no big deal. I’m going to get it back at TDC and try it again. After that I’m sure I will need to adjust the carb a little, I’m sure I’ll have more questions!

I appreciate everyone commenting here, and for taking an interest in trying to help me!

pro tip !. remove the intake adjustment / inspection cap. remove the rear pull start ( yes..its in a tight spot , but will make this process go a lot easier ! ) remove the sight cap for timing mark ( right side near the pull starter ), remove the spark plug. with a 17 mm socket and ratchet, turn the crank case at the pull starter bolt to line up the T mark in sight hole, now rotate the crank with the 17mm socket/ratchet BACKAWRDS VERY SLOWLY !, as you are doing this, watch the intake valve, sooner or later the intake valve will start to go down , if it does ?, rotate the crank with the 17mm socket/ratchet  clockwise ( to the right when sitting on atv ), get the timing mark back in the site hole where you started..DO NOT GO PAST THE STARTING POINT WHERE YOU STARTED !. once the T mark is in the sight hole ?, now adjust both valves. if the intake valve never started to go down when you went to turn the crank backwards ?, this means you had the T mark in the sight hole on the exhaust stroke !, you want the piston on TDC+ top dead center on the compression stroke when you set valves. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND, WHEN TURNNG THE CRANK BACKWARDS WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED TURNING ?, THE INTAKE VALVE WILL NOT START TO GO DOWN AS SOON AS YOU START GOING BACKWARDS !!. the crank has to turn a few before the intake starts to go down.

Back to process, if intake valve did not move at all ?, turn the crank clockwise right back to where you started, then do a full 360 spin, get the T mark in sight hole, stop, turn the crank backwards from here, the intake valve SHOULD start to move now ?, now go back clockwise, stop the T mark in the sight hole, adjust the valves. DO NOT CONFUSE THE PROCESS HERE !. it all depends on what the intake valve does when you start turning the crank backwards ?, then follow my advice here to see when you adjust valves :-).

• Like 1

Also, when you line up the timing marks ?, and you have the pull starter off ?, notice the line on the pull starter cage ( stamped on one of the tangs ) ?, it goes from tip backwards in center of tang towards the back engine case. now look at the back engine case right behind the cage, at about 12-1 o'clock stamped on the case , these timing marks must line up when you set the T mark in the sight hole ?!, if they do not ?, then the cam chain is stretched .

• Like 1