roller

Buying a new Honda Rancher with cash

Hi folks,

I'm a 74 year old redneck hillbilly and I'm planning to buy a NEW ATV within the next week or 2,.... and I want to pay cash.

What is the best way to approach a dealer in order to get the very best cash deal possible?

My expectations are,.... to pay close to MSRP, along with the required sales tax, and a reasonable sum for the simple paperwork,.... but, is such a purchase even possible these days?

I know financing is big money in today's marketing, along with hidden fees and charges,.... but I'd prefer to keep as much of MY money in MY pocket, as I can.

Thanks for any cash buying tips you have to offer.

roller

• Like 2

Hopefully someone comes in here and gives you some suggestions that get you more than what I have below.  Hopefully, for you.

I bought one in early December, I think.  Cash didn't get me anything.  The only thing that I leveraged was to call around and say I was ready to buy, not looking, and what can the do to make me go to their place?  I got a few points off the sale, and a larger percentage off accessories, which I was going to buy anyway.

The best bet would be to research what you want, which at least you know you want a Rancher, and then call around and say that a purchase can be done today, what can you do for a deal?  Cash isn't king anymore, as they make money off the financing portion of it and they get their money reasonably quick so really they make MORE by you NOT using cash.

You can try online sales.  I didn't try that but maybe it's a reasonable approach?

You said that financing is big money in today's marketing, but 12 month same as cash doesn't cost you anything.  In reality the financing is a credit card, but if you do pay it off inside 12 months, then they don't get the big payoff that they are hoping for.

ATVs were selling fast, so most places don't have to bend over for your money.  This is starting to slow, so maybe you can score on that.

• Like 2

If you give your location somebody might be able to recommend a dealer near you.  I know a few of the dealers that used to advertise their prices on their websites don't do it any more so I'd say you'll probably pay close to retail.  Always ask for the out the door price because some dealers will add different fees on top of the price.

You might want to consider getting a late model used one if the price is right and it's in good shape with low miles and hours.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. Right now the best advice is to call around and get some out the door cash prices. Inventory is low for many dealers and demand is high so it's not the best time for the good deals.

• Like 3

You might get a 3% discount by paying cash instead of debit or credit.   Having a handful of Bens is a liability when it comes to being robbed.  Not common but the dealer might not like taking the chance.

Two options.  Get a credit card that offers cash back points.  Use it and get the 2% back if you can do so by paying it off right away and then canceling before the annual fees kick in.

Second one is to make a deal with them that they split the profit with you that they make on the financing if you use their offered financing.  Make sure you are allowed to pay it off right away without penalties to yourself or them.  Some banks have a 90 time period so watch it.

I did the second on the last new car purchase and paid the note off 91 days after purchasing the car.  Total savings was a little over $400 so it isn't much.

As mentioned before, get them to sell you additional options at their cost.  Do some research prior to and find out MSRP of the options and expect to pay 50 - 70% of that number.  One Honda dealer tried to charge me full price telling me it was his cost and I called him out on it telling him I called his parts department two days before and was quoted the exact same prices for a normal Joe off the street.  So in order to save face we got the Dog Friendly package, all four mud guards and a roof rack for free on our 2011 Honda Element. 

Dealers are slick.  You be slicker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RubiDan said:

You might want to consider getting a late model used one if the price is right and it's in good shape with low miles and hours.

peronaly i would go this route ^^ and stay clear of the newer machines, there not anywhere close to being as tough as the older machines, thats just my take. but if your die hard set on a new machine, go with a foot shift, and stay clear of the IRS. and pay cash. like you say. if you have a bike shop close with a good history ... check with them, and think down the road, if this is your 1st bike, it would good to be able to work on it if needed, without going back to the dealer, and getting the run around, and a delayed fix. 

Around here if you pay cash they mark it up, they want the finance charges.

Check Big Saint Charles site, ( add 400 for cash purchase )

Location plays a big part in things.  Where are you located?

Don't be afraid to drive a bit for a deal.  There are some dealerships in the South that are known for better discounts (I believe Brookhaven MS is one of them).

As far as paying cash is concerned, as several have mentioned, these days they want that financing money.  That said, if they charge you 12% interest, and give you a better deal doing that, sign up, and then pay the loan off immediately.  Just make sure there is no penalty for early payoff.

If you are using the wheeler for farm use, at least in Arkansas, then you don't have to pay sales tax (you will have to provide documentation that you run a farming operation, with the farm's TIN)

Watch the fees.  Bottom line is, it doesn't matter if they want to charge you a 1K doc fee and a $500 delivery fee, as long as the out the door price is lower.  Don't get caught up on the specific line items.  Stick to the "out the door figure".

Brookhaven is 20 miles North of me. They do have some really good prices at times. I was getting some parts there for my foreman early in the summer or late in the spring and they had talon 1000s for a hair over 15k. The prices on the foremans and ranchers were good too. But there was still a good supply then - not sure about now. 

Edited by slowindown
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, slowindown said:

Brookhaven is 20 miles North of me. They do have some really good prices at times. I was getting some parts there for my foreman early in the summer or late in the spring and they had talon 1000s for a hair over 15k. The prices on the foremans and ranchers were good too. But there was still a good supply then - not sure about now. 

A lot of people from around here in southeast Louisiana go to Brookhaven , as they have the best prices --- just make sure you pay the Louisiana sale taxes on your end , cause the state  will catch up to you now days 

• Like 2

Thanks fellas for all the advice.
I'm located in northwest Kansas (only 11 miles from the Nebraska state line) and the nearest Honda dealer is 90+ miles away (in Kearney, NE).
I've got a doctor's appointment in Kearney on March 1st. so I'll stop in and chat with the Honda dealer while I'm in town. 

Thanks again, your replies are very much appreciated.
roller

• Like 1

@roller Kearney usually has some decent deals and will work with a person so as long as the inventory is good you might get treated right by them.

The best idea is, pay cash, or check or money order. 

And ... don't pay interest.

What I always do is go around, better in person, you have to see if they have what you want.  And ask for the best OUT THE DOOR price.  Usually you have to explain to them what the out the door price is, as they like to add on tax, license, insurance, dealer preparation fees, other fees, extra fees, and some money for Uncle Joe.  Then after explaining out the door price, talk to them about discounts.  Senior, military, local yokel, long time customer, family, and any other thing you can think of discount.

Then shop that price around.  I found mine $600 lower that way.

dc

• Like 1

You have to know what you want to help the dealer get you dialed in:

TRX500?

Solid rear axle or IRS?

foot shift, electronic shift, autoshift or CVT?

Whats your budget limit?

I like those Honda TRX500 foot shift SRA

but also like CanAm Outlander MaxXTP 500 with all the bells and whistles 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Goober said:

You have to know what you want to help the dealer get you dialed in:

TRX500?

Solid rear axle or IRS?

foot shift, electronic shift, autoshift or CVT?

Whats your budget limit?

I like those Honda TRX500 foot shift SRA

but also like CanAm Outlander MaxXTP 500 with all the bells and whistles 

At my age I don't need the biggest, or fanciest with all the "bells and whistles",.... so I was thinking about something more like this one https://www.heartlandmotorsportshonda.com/new-models/2021-honda-fourtrax-rancher-28096056b

My budget is "flexible", and if I could find a very good "used" machine, that was priced reasonable, that would also work for me.

When checking out Heartland Motor Sport's website it doesn't look like they have any used machines (this is one of the reasons I was considering buying a NEW machine.

• Like 1

I have a 17 rubi and I like it, had the money at the time to buy it new, glad I did, nice thing is there are now some aftermarket stuff available to change out the electric 4x4 and a plug and play O2 delete, thats I think 25 bucks, if you can afford one get it...

your not all that far from shadetree,  far enough, but ... he's done a bunch of rebuilds from the ground up, although he's been Mia for a while, he's got one, he's working on now, any of his builds, I'd take over a new bike, might send a PM and just check and see what he's got on the table. 

18 minutes ago, roller said:

At my age I don't need the biggest, or fanciest with all the "bells and whistles",.... so I was thinking about something more like this one https://www.heartlandmotorsportshonda.com/new-models/2021-honda-fourtrax-rancher-28096056b

My budget is "flexible", and if I could find a very good "used" machine, that was priced reasonable, that would also work for me.

When checking out Heartland Motor Sport's website it doesn't look like they have any used machines (this is one of the reasons I was considering buying a NEW machine.

This one is a good one but —I’d have to reread it—i think it’s two-wheel drive. It says it has trax-locks 2wd-4wd but in Other it says TRX420TM (2wd foot shift).

just make sure you’re getting the drive option you want; 4wd would be TRX420FM

Edited by Goober

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your not all that far from shadetree,  far enough, but ... he's done a bunch of rebuilds from the ground up, although he's been Mia for a while, he's got one, he's working on now, any of his builds, I'd take over a new bike, might send a PM and just check and see what he's got on the table. 

Where is shadetree located, and how would I go about contacting him?

I don't mind making an occasional road trip once in a while.

• Like 1

Another question,..... are there any carriers, or shipping companies that routinely move things like ATVs around the country? 

If so,.... it would certainly help broaden my search for a good used ATV.