WonderMonkey

Snowmobile Type Boots Recommendation

I have  heard ladies panty hose as a base layer works for the cold , I have never tired it 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I have  heard ladies panty hose as a base layer works for the cold , I have never tired it 

I use to do that in high school football, it works. I did the bread sacks also when I was a kid, Parents would do anything to keep us out of the house.. lol

Now days they have better things than the old "this is what we have" things though.

• Like 4

I like wearing the sub-arctic Baffin boots the most, but I tear a pair of them up every winter, so this fall I didn't buy any. I have been wearing an old pair of LaCrosse boots instead to save money and now both of them are holey on the top of the feet and my feet are getting wet every day. So next year I'm going back to Baffin. I've learned my lesson not to be scrimping on boots that work great in the cold, just cause I'm a tightwad.

Have y'all ever heard of Bamboo socks? I didn't... I have a few pairs now after getting a tip from a friend to try them. I thought no way though.... Bamboo? But I caved in and bought some and WOW! No more stanky feet...! Honestly, I think they are the best wicking socks that I have ever wore! My 2nd favorite is Alpaca socks, Merino wool socks are the most comfortable to wear everyday though, and Merino works almost as well as Bamboo or Alpaca. But Bamboo has been a game changer!

• Like 4

Bread sacks! 🙂 I still use them on my hands to keep the cold wind from penetrating my gloves when I'm riding my Rancher to the village and back. They may be crude and old fashioned but they sure can help to prevent frostbite fingers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

I use to do that in high school football, it works.

That must have been a football locker room seine to behold , eh , LOL 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Jockeys do that i heard. years ago..

7 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

Jockeys do that i heard. years ago..

dang 'Ted , you burned a terrible pic in my head , you in your jockey helmet , jersey tied in a knot at the tails , tall black boots and panty hoses ---LOL 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, retro said:

Bread sacks! 🙂 I still use them on my hands to keep the cold wind from penetrating my gloves when I'm riding my Rancher to the village and back. They may be crude and old fashioned but they sure can help to prevent frostbite fingers.

yep ^^^^ I've done that to i never liked using my good gloves working on machines out  in the winter, especially dealing with fuel, fillter changes, and checking fluids, adding hydraulic oil, so the plastic comes in handy, where as rubber mechanics gloves do not keep hands warm nor provide the grip, and at least not prone to slip like rubber gloves. (skinned knuckles) 

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I'll bet you have, just not in boots. 😬

• Haha 3

On 2/27/2021 at 12:28 AM, toodeep said:

I use to do that in high school football, it works. I did the bread sacks also when I was a kid, Parents would do anything to keep us out of the house.. lol

Now days they have better things than the old "this is what we have" things though.

Football here as well.  We didn't have the thin base layers like they do now.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:01 AM, retro said:

I like wearing the sub-arctic Baffin boots the most, but I tear a pair of them up every winter, so this fall I didn't buy any. I have been wearing an old pair of LaCrosse boots instead to save money and now both of them are holey on the top of the feet and my feet are getting wet every day. So next year I'm going back to Baffin. I've learned my lesson not to be scrimping on boots that work great in the cold, just cause I'm a tightwad.

Have y'all ever heard of Bamboo socks? I didn't... I have a few pairs now after getting a tip from a friend to try them. I thought no way though.... Bamboo? But I caved in and bought some and WOW! No more stanky feet...! Honestly, I think they are the best wicking socks that I have ever wore! My 2nd favorite is Alpaca socks, Merino wool socks are the most comfortable to wear everyday though, and Merino works almost as well as Bamboo or Alpaca. But Bamboo has been a game changer!

Baffin is my choice, so far.  The IceBreakers specifically, but I think those in that temperature range are similar and the difference is the waterproof (or not) upper, how the they cinch up (buckle, laces) and if they have the snow part on the top.  I don't want to go below the range the IceBreakers have else it would be TOO warm for what I'll do and any movement would cause sweating.

Do you mind if I ask which Baffin's you typically get?

As for the bamboo socks, I use a pair as the base layer when I wear layers, and as the only layer in the summer at times.  I also use the Darn Tough, etc., which aren't bamboo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Do you mind if I ask which Baffin's you typically get?

My last two pair of Baffins were Derrick polars. They held together pretty well except for the uppers.

https://www.baffin.com/products/polamp02

4 years ago I also tore up a pair of Driller boots which are similar to the Derricks. Both are toasty warm and comfortable

https://www.baffin.com/products/98570937

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, retro said:

My last two pair of Baffins were Derrick polars. They held together pretty well except for the uppers.

https://www.baffin.com/products/polamp02

4 years ago I also tore up a pair of Driller boots which are similar to the Derricks. Both are toasty warm and comfortable

https://www.baffin.com/products/98570937

Thanks.  Most likely I wouldn't put these through the abuse you may.  In SE Ohio my work boots don't need to be so warm.  I'd use mine primarily for pleasure outings (camping, riding) in Michigan and similar lands.  Only by accident, which I tend to have on occasion, would I be in a situation to have physical damage.  What I do like about the class of both of those boots you linked is their resistance to oil and acid.  For me, that would mean just a bit more toughness and longevity though really I'm just imaging that and hoping it's true.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1