Dude22573

Sprocket Question

Happy Saturday!

I want to put some new rear tires on the bike that will give me a little more ground  clearance. I currently have the stock 20/10/9 tires on the back and I want to stick 22/10/9 tires on it. I realize doing so will hurt the low end torque. Do any of you have any experience with changing sprocket sizes? I am willing to increase the tooth count on the sprockets to get the torque back close to normal. The problem is I am not sure how many teeth to add to the front or back. I also do not want to remove the case saver. Any educated recommendations out there? 

Thanks in advance!

First thing you will have to do is confirm what you are running on it now. Unless you purchased it new. Most likely someone has already made gearing changes. Your stock gearing should be 14/39

5 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

First thing you will have to do is confirm what you are running on it now. Unless you purchased it new. Most likely someone has already made gearing changes. Your stock gearing should be 14/39

I will double check that when I get back home but I am pretty sure they are stock. 

If they are stock. 14/39. A 13/39 will be good for your 22 tires. Or you can go 14/41 but if your doing the 22s for ground clearance that would be counter productive. So i would just drop the front to 13. You wont have to modify anything. Case saver can stay the same.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

If they are stock. 14/39. A 13/39 will be good for your 22 tires. Or you can go 14/41 but if your doing the 22s for ground clearance that would be counter productive. So i would just drop the front to 13. You wont have to modify anything. Case saver can stay the same.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, SlammedRanger said:

No problem bud! Glad to help!

What sprocket brand have you had the best performance out of? 

I run sunstar. But in all honesty the cheap-o ones hold up just fine. I just always get a sprocket kit with a RK mx gold chain and sunstar sprockets on ebay. You dont want to ever just change just one. It will accelerate wear on the new piece. Sprockets should always be changed as a set with chain for best longevity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1