A&M OFFROAD

Carb problems

Buddy bought an 01 rancher 350. Said it had some carb work done before he bought it. When he got it, it ran great... For two hours then it died. Now when you even give it the slightest amount of throttle it dies. So I took his carb apart to make sure it wasn't clogged. It was pretty clean but the top part is what's blowing my mind here. 

Now I'm super new to working on stuff but carbs to me sem pretty simple, parts wise. The top of the carb pulls off along with the spring. In the top is the needle valve. Well it was just floating in the top part. Wasn't in the hole or anything just sitting there... I figured that would be the problem. 

There isn't anything in there tho that would hold it in. Unless I'm just getting confused on how it works can someone please explain? 

I'll add pictures for reference

IMG_20210228_132505.jpg

IMG_20210228_132501.jpg

IMG_20210228_132456.jpg

IMG_20210228_132449.jpg

IMG_20210228_132446.jpg

IMG_20210228_132443.jpg

The big long return spring should be sitting on a seat at the bottom that holds the needle down in place. Should look like this. 2 parts the plate and the smaller spring.

Screenshot_20210228-145049_eBay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we shoved the ! out of that metal V shaped thing and wedged it in there and it actually started and held up. But I'm gonna go ahead and order that part. Is that the correct one for this thing? I don't understand how it didn't have one in it. The guy he bought it from took it to a shop even and had them fix it, so it makes me wonder if he was lying about it.

20 minutes ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

So we shoved the ! out of that metal V shaped thing and wedged it in there and it actually started and held up. But I'm gonna go ahead and order that part. Is that the correct one for this thing? I don't understand how it didn't have one in it. The guy he bought it from took it to a shop even and had them fix it, so it makes me wonder if he was lying about it.

Most likely lied yes. That metal thing is someones attempt at making it stay. Yes the one i sent you is the correct P# off rockymountianatv/mc's website.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a China Carb needle retainer thing. I have a couple in my garage. I'm not sure the factory one would work in that slide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I order a stock one, it was used and only 7$ so we will see. I had a feeling this was a cheap china carb just by the way it looked and felt. And had no names on it. How does that retainer work then? Do you know?

The retainer you bought goes in and twists(I believe the needle may snap in it in some manner...but its fuzzy.

The china one simply wedges in I think. Uses friction to hold it. both methods likely work.

• Thanks 1

Well I pinned the china clip in as tight as I could. If the stock one fits I'll put it in, if it doesnt I guess I lll just make sure the china pin is shoved even more

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 87Iroc said:

That's a China Carb needle retainer thing. I have a couple in my garage. I'm not sure the factory one would work in that slide.

Absolutely right i have one in my junk drawer. LMK if you want something off it. Missing the butterfly plate 

20EBB3A0-9087-41A8-8B19-C2A719905887.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

Awesome! That's exactly what we did. We just shoved it down in there. I bought the factory thing so I'll still see if it works. Cause if it came off already I'm not sure how effective it will be

9 minutes ago, A&M OFFROAD said:

Awesome! That's exactly what we did. We just shoved it down in there. I bought the factory thing so I'll still see if it works. Cause if it came off already I'm not sure how effective it will be

Here’s this carb if you want it or parts off it. I canned the butterfly for another member, but it’s a good clean carb otherwise 

B16C8723-AB3C-47BB-A10B-EDE6B27EFED6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I 100% agree but this ain't mine quad and my buddy traded it for a POS nissan truck. I think he paid maybe $800 for the truck so he ain't gonna spend much money on it if any at all 😂