m_quick

Hanging Up The Sport Quad?

Well this comes as sad news, but I will soon be selling my other 700xx. It really hit me hard  losing my Reaper 700xx. Since last fall I haven't even touched my other 700xx. I've been seeing these quads sale for 5k on the facebook pages, with little to no mods. So I'm hoping when I do list mine, it wont take long to sale. And this brings me to share some other news with you guy's. I will officially be jumping into the SxS scene. I really love the Talon's, but the State forest trails here in Ohio have a 50" width limit. So that left me with 2 options, Can-Am or Polaris. Well that said my Son and I both recently purchased the 2021 Rzr 900 Ultimate trail editions. Okay go ahead and start the trash talking... 

• Like 7

m-quick , you got to do what makes you happy , I have thought about a Can-Am side by side , but I figure buying new and a few mods to start with and it would be $30K -----  going to stick with my junkers 

• Like 3

i can understand your thinking, m_quick, you took a hard deal with loosing that custom bike, gotta do what makes you happy, and this way your son can enjoy riding with and gain knowledge from your experience. 

• Like 2

While I certainly don't like popo's, I can't say I'm blown away by the Honda SxS lineup. 

@basfnb bought a Polaris SxS a couple of weeks ago.  He likes it so far.  I told him not to bring it to me when it breaks!

Another one of our buddies has a Can AM, and he likes it so far.  I'm kind of waiting to see if Honda brings out a better one, and to see how that Can Am my buddy bought holds up.  He's kept it stock so we'll see how much Can Am has improved.

I will say as I've gotten older, something like a sport quad is a big NOPE for me.  I'm old, slow, and boring now.  I'll leave the fun to the young guys who will heal quickly.

• Like 4

Mr. M. never would I bash a fellow human being for wanting to spend time with his family. doing whatever. we'll still be yo friend, come back to visit anytime. Derf40

• Like 2

I’ve even considered a SXS but like fish mentioned I can’t get over the price of them. After u do a few mods, it’s like buying a new car!! Congrats! & again sorry for your loss last fall!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, m_quick said:

Well this comes as sad news, but I will soon be selling my other 700xx. It really hit me hard  losing my Reaper 700xx. Since last fall I haven't even touched my other 700xx. I've been seeing these quads sale for 5k on the facebook pages, with little to no mods. So I'm hoping when I do list mine, it wont take long to sale. And this brings me to share some other news with you guy's. I will officially be jumping into the SxS scene. I really love the Talon's, but the State forest trails here in Ohio have a 50" width limit. So that left me with 2 options, Can-Am or Polaris. Well that said my Son and I both recently purchased the 2021 Rzr 900 Ultimate trail editions. Okay go ahead and start the trash talking... 

You lie! Perry is open to 56" lol. Cant say anything against the rzr's though. My brother has a 800s and its been plenty reliable. From what i understand the newer ones are even more reliable. He cant go when we go to wayne though. Even though everytime we are there we see 100 people ignoring the width limit and riding anyways. There tickets are insanity. So there is no way i would push it.

Am I understanding u can get a ticket for being too wide? WOW!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

m-quick , you got to do what makes you happy , I have thought about a Can-Am side by side , but I figure buying new and a few mods to start with and it would be $30K -----  going to stick with my junkers 

Shoot man, some of those things are over 30k before  you get out the door!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I will say as I've gotten older, something like a sport quad is a big NOPE for me.  I'm old, slow, and boring now.  I'll leave the fun to the young guys who will heal quickly.

I hear you, and my knees usually gave me fits for a couple days after riding hard. To many years of commercial and industrial roofing under my belt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

You lie! Perry is open to 56" lol. Cant say anything against the rzr's though. My brother has a 800s and its been plenty reliable. From what i understand the newer ones are even more reliable. He cant go when we go to wayne though. Even though everytime we are there we see 100 people ignoring the width limit and riding anyways. There tickets are insanity. So there is no way i would push it.

Perry actually lets up to 62"! So this would let he Rzr Trail and the Rzr Trail S models in, as they are 50" and 60" models. All the other models are like 64 and 72 or 74"? Still  we like Wayne and wanted to be able to ride there. When I ride at Wayne it's never that crowded, and I can't say I've seen large SxS's but have herd about it. Either way I'm not pushing it, well maybe I am. My new unit will be a few inches wider than 50" After I install the nerf bars/rock sliders. I'll just tell them I thought it was 50" wheel width, lol.

APV Rules for Perry State Forest

• Trail bikes, motorcycles, all purpose vehicles, mountain bikes and snowmobiles are the only vehicles permitted on the designated trails. Each vehicle shall display a valid APV or highway license. You should bring a copy of your registration with you. (Put it in a waterproof bag and store it under your seat with your tool kit.) For more information on titling and registering your APV: bmv.ohio.gov
  • APVs shall be operated only within the designated area.
  • No person shall operate an APV having a width greater than 62 inches.
  • The APV area is open for riding from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.
  • The APV areas at Perry State Forest are closed from the day after the end of deer gun season until March 31.
  • All transport vehicles and trailers should be parked in the designated parking area for safety concerns.
  • Maximum speed limits are 5 mph in the parking area. At no time shall an APV be operated at a speed greater than that necessary to stop the vehicle in the assured clear distance.
  • All operators shall wear protective headgear and eye protection.
  • All operators shall have a valid, current motor vehicle operator's license, except that minors less than 16 years of age may operate an APV if they are accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian 18 years of age or older.
  • All vehicles shall be equipped with adequate brakes, mufflers, and spark arrestors and must follow decibel limitations outlined in OAC 1501:3-4-12.
  • No person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs of abuse shall operate an APV.
  • No person shall operate an APV in such a manner as to willfully damage or destroy vegetation and trails, or for the purpose of chasing, capturing or killing wildlife.
  • Operators of APVs shall not carry or transport any firearms or other weapons that are not unloaded and securely encased.
  • No APV shall be used to carry more passengers than the vehicle was designed to carry. Contact your manufacturer for ride capacity.
  • No races or contests are permitted in the APV area.
  • Operators must report any accidents to the forest headquarters within 24 hours. This is in addition to the reports necessary to be made to the local law enforcement authorities. Call 911 in an emergency.

Attention Out-of-State Riders: The State of Ohio requires riders from Michigan and other states that do not have reciprocity to obtain an annual “Temporary Operating Permit” at an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) location. In order to obtain this permit, you must present a valid title, a driver’s license and Social Security card. The cost is $14.75 per year. When contacting the BMV, please refer to Ohio Revised Code 4519.09 to ensure prompt service. The permit must be kept with the APV and must be displayed to law enforcement/management if requested.

For more information on states with reciprocity, call the Forest Manager at (740) 385-4402 ext. 100. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

In the state forest yes you can! In fact they can even confiscate your stuff if they want to. Just like fishing without a license you can loose all gear if they want to be dik's about it.

• Like 3

WOW... seems like an awful lot of rules just to ride.. on our crown land, we just need insurance, registration, & a helmet...

Did that recently myself.

We just sold our 2019 rzr and one of my 700xx's for a new Talon. This being our third SxS I have to admit we spend more time on our quads and even the kids like their 4 wheelers more than the SxS. Quad sales around here are really picking up though and I see more SxS's for sale. Locally we got hit by the SxS scene hard and now they are everywhere and they can be rented everywhere. For us the thrill is gone but at least with the Talon the wife can almost keep up with me on the trails.. almost

1 hour ago, m_quick said:

In the state forest yes you can! In fact they can even confiscate your stuff if they want to. Just like fishing without a license you can loose all gear if they want to be dik's about it.

Same way here with the Wildlife and Fisheries , if you do anything illegal with fish and game , they can take every thing you used in the process of taking the game or fish , that includes , 4 wheeler ,  boat , motor , trailer , truck , poles , guns , everything , they seldom go that far unless like you said "   " ,  LOL , they deserved it --- also as far as warrants go , the WLF has more power than any other agency around here , they don't need a warrant if they believe you have illegal game ----one of my favorite segments of the Fish and Game show every Saturday morning is Bad Boys , they tell the craziest outlaw story of the week , they get some good ones 

• Like 1

they can do that here even  on private property, when it  ones deer, and turkey hunting, if Dennis was to go hunting on my land with out a hunting license, yes even with my permission, if the TWRA was to come a checking, he he could loose everything, he has with him, and gain a nice fine, and even  jail time depending on how they feel at the time, so yes more power then just about any government agency. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Yep when we were there last we were riding with a big group that rides there often. They said this guy got pulled over on a rs1 which is a one seater rzr way too wide for the limit. He had a child passanger. No helmets on any of them and was found to be in possesion of weed and was drunk while riding. His fines to get his machine out of the impound were like 3500 dollars. They threw the book at him obveously. But what i was told is being found off the trail is either a 250 or 500 dollar fine which is decided by the ranger at the time. And depends if you destroy any land or saplings and stuff the fine can go up from there. I was scared to walk off trail to pee in the woods. We dont honestly like riding there and go to perry alot more for this reason. Way way way way way less rules.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, m_quick said:

Perry actually lets up to 62"! So this would let he Rzr Trail and the Rzr Trail S models in, as they are 50" and 60" models. All the other models are like 64 and 72 or 74"? Still  we like Wayne and wanted to be able to ride there. When I ride at Wayne it's never that crowded, and I can't say I've seen large SxS's but have herd about it. Either way I'm not pushing it, well maybe I am. My new unit will be a few inches wider than 50" After I install the nerf bars/rock sliders. I'll just tell them I thought it was 50" wheel width, lol.

APV Rules for Perry State Forest

• Trail bikes, motorcycles, all purpose vehicles, mountain bikes and snowmobiles are the only vehicles permitted on the designated trails. Each vehicle shall display a valid APV or highway license. You should bring a copy of your registration with you. (Put it in a waterproof bag and store it under your seat with your tool kit.) For more information on titling and registering your APV: bmv.ohio.gov
  • APVs shall be operated only within the designated area.
  • No person shall operate an APV having a width greater than 62 inches.
  • The APV area is open for riding from one-half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.
  • The APV areas at Perry State Forest are closed from the day after the end of deer gun season until March 31.
  • All transport vehicles and trailers should be parked in the designated parking area for safety concerns.
  • Maximum speed limits are 5 mph in the parking area. At no time shall an APV be operated at a speed greater than that necessary to stop the vehicle in the assured clear distance.
  • All operators shall wear protective headgear and eye protection.
  • All operators shall have a valid, current motor vehicle operator's license, except that minors less than 16 years of age may operate an APV if they are accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian 18 years of age or older.
  • All vehicles shall be equipped with adequate brakes, mufflers, and spark arrestors and must follow decibel limitations outlined in OAC 1501:3-4-12.
  • No person who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs of abuse shall operate an APV.
  • No person shall operate an APV in such a manner as to willfully damage or destroy vegetation and trails, or for the purpose of chasing, capturing or killing wildlife.
  • Operators of APVs shall not carry or transport any firearms or other weapons that are not unloaded and securely encased.
  • No APV shall be used to carry more passengers than the vehicle was designed to carry. Contact your manufacturer for ride capacity.
  • No races or contests are permitted in the APV area.
  • Operators must report any accidents to the forest headquarters within 24 hours. This is in addition to the reports necessary to be made to the local law enforcement authorities. Call 911 in an emergency.

Attention Out-of-State Riders: The State of Ohio requires riders from Michigan and other states that do not have reciprocity to obtain an annual “Temporary Operating Permit” at an Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) location. In order to obtain this permit, you must present a valid title, a driver’s license and Social Security card. The cost is $14.75 per year. When contacting the BMV, please refer to Ohio Revised Code 4519.09 to ensure prompt service. The permit must be kept with the APV and must be displayed to law enforcement/management if requested.

For more information on states with reciprocity, call the Forest Manager at (740) 385-4402 ext. 100. 

Haha i know my quad fits. Thats all i need to know. No plan of getting a sxs anytime soon atleast. But what i do know is i have also seen way wider sxs's at perry. When my brother goes through the gate it is about 6 inches on each side so you can easily fit any of them. We have only seen rangers there twice and they stopped and commented on the toyhauler where we were eating lunch in the a/c with the generator running and they just said. "Now thats how you do it". LoL. Didnt even look at our quads. Haha.

I & my neighbors got together and made a rule that no SxS machines are allowed on any our properties, cause they are too wide for our woods and too heavy.... they run over small trees cause they gotta... and rut up our mud and get stuck too easily. ATVs are allowed everywhere though.

On 3/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, retro said:

I & my neighbors got together and made a rule that no SxS machines are allowed on any our properties, cause they are too wide for our woods and too heavy.... they run over small trees cause they gotta... and rut up our mud and get stuck too easily. ATVs are allowed everywhere though.

We used to ride down in South Arkansas every spring at a buddy's deer camp.  There were trails everywhere, and it was great riding, but with the SXS craze, all the trails are now bogged out so bad that unless you're running 30"+ tires you get high centered on ruts constantly.  Not fun to ride 4wheelers there anymore. 

Same can be said for the local ATV park; monster SxS's have rutted it out so bad that it's not fun to ride unless you have a monster 4wheeler.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

saw you online posting in the NASCAR thread, just wondered if you had made a choice yet ? 

I have not listed my 700xx yet. I need to make sure I'm not to young for the Rzr 1st. I'm just not sure about that type of riding yet, other say I will love it, but idk.

• Like 1