Tim-ANC

2000 Ford F150

45 minutes ago, Tim-ANC said:

You bet and I was curious too but I put full effort into checking out the junk yard engine and getting the F150 back operational.

Wife and kid are now running around in MY F350. 😠

You will be remembered come Father's Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

You will be remembered come Father's Day.

Yeah, if something needs wrenched on or lifted or paid for...

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 5:45 PM, SlammedRanger said:

All i know about them is anything with a triton motor is garbage. Worst designed engine i have ever had the dis-pleasure of working on. The common failure list is a mile long. Simply changing the two part spark plugs is an 8 hour process. Who would ever do such a thing? My brothers 5.4 in his f150 was a better boat anchor than anything else. Just my opinion of course. No dis-respect meant at all.

A 3/8 air gun is your friend with those plugs. I may break one my next time, but haven't happened yet!  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2021 at 10:03 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

I'll like to hear what @Chevymec thinks, I'm not a ford guy, well not any of these newer brand vehicles, but thats the choice now.  

Wish I knew the ins and outs of the Fords that good.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chevymec said:

Wish I knew the ins and outs of the Fords that good.

i wish i did to, hard to keep up nowa days, so i tend to stick with older machines, which is a loosing battle nowa days,just get in turn the key and go, and don't study up on  the cars they drive, it's just got look good, and get them from  point a to point b same with semi trucks (here some of the old models don't even pass inspection) that type of job security i do not want nor need, I'll take a jeep, like @jeepwm69 has.

• Like 1

Yeah it's the electronic control that makes fixing them difficult. In consumer (affordable) vehicles, the computer prossessing is rudimentary. Functions on minor voltage and resistance signals from single source sensors. Then paste on the emissions control crap. Runs tip top when everything is behaving well.

My first pickup was carburated with ignition points. Feels like easier times from my point of view currently but do remember forever adjusting the ignition and tweaking the carb. Got 10-12 mpg on a 351. Gas was around 87 cents a gallon then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Yeah it's the electronic control that makes fixing them difficult. In consumer (affordable) vehicles, the computer prossessing is rudimentary. Functions on minor voltage and resistance signals from single source sensors. Then paste on the emissions control crap. Runs tip top when everything is behaving well.

My first pickup was carburated with ignition points. Feels like easier times from my point of view currently but do remember forever adjusting the ignition and tweaking the carb. Got 10-12 mpg on a 351. Gas was around 87 cents a gallon then.

ya ever heard of a 352? was in 65 or so, wasnt in a truck, that engine could scream.?  on the side, i ran the 85 ranger, without a brain box being hooked up, just a 2300cc. little ranger., i took an intake off a 65 mustang, had a two barrel Holley, an made it work. another 2,300. i got 27 miles per gallon, pulling a Jon-boat, the bed loaded, not to mention the Jon-boat, an it was loaded, plus 2 passenger's in the cab. the little 4 cylinder,  not hauling all that weight, would keep up with a v6, 92 ranger. i couldnt pass it, but could keep up.  electronics aint all its cracked up to be. 10 to 12 miles a gallon sux, from any point of view, least ya got a truck with a 3/4 cam.

• Like 1

My mother had an old Galaxy 500 with a 352. Hood longer than some pickup beds. Lots of room in there to work on the engine. 

Had an 80s something Ranger. After busting a second manual tranny, I gave it away. Impressive what you did with yours 

• Like 1

i always liked the ranger ex brother-in-law purchased a 89 2wd 5 speed, swb, bucket seats, i have to brag on that tru k, he never had an issue, and very cold ac, we rode back from Alabama one stormy night, well, i drove his truck, and he rode with my pop in the 80 one ton chevy, we had taken a patz 78b silage unloaded apart, had parts stacks on the flat bed, and parts stacked in the ranger, no telling how many times my eye leds got heavy, one thing i can say is ford has some of the best seats out there, or did, I'd like to have a ranger again. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

My mother had an old Galaxy 500 with a 352. Hood longer than some pickup beds. Lots of room in there to work on the engine. 

Had an 80s something Ranger. After busting a second manual tranny, I gave it away. Impressive what you did with yours 

the Galaxy was a 65, 2 door, automatic. it ran great till i turned it upside down, think it had a carter carb 4 barrel. was a while back.

as far as the 85 Ranger, 2300, i couldnt tell ya how i ran it with out a brain box, dont remember,  but i did. seemed like i eliminated a lot of sensors in the process, an excess vacuum lines. the two barrel, had a small barrel, and a large barrel. when ya punched it, that thing would howl an sing. it drawed attention. the voice was loud. i still miss that sound. turn an air breather top upside down.

Edited by LedFTed
the same as always
  • Like 1

Got the PCM today and installed. Had a pushed and bent pin it 😠 and the PN on it is different than the one I was supposed to get. Will contact the seller about that in the morning. Straightened the pin and pulled back out. Hopefully all ok. Locksmith to arrive tomorrow to code the keys. Can't do anything with it until that happens. 

20210329_153956.jpg

• Sad 1

FS1 on live chat told me PN YL3F-12A650-AUC it is an alternate part.

The keys were programed by a locksmith. They work, start the engine, and it is driveable. However, new problems, the PATS theft light blinks all the time and sometimes the digital odometer goes blank.

The original problem I had was the engine was running to rich, the auto-transmission would not shift into higher gears, and the speedometer was reading very low. The PCM fixed the fuel scheduling and feel good about that. I still have the tranny and speedo problems though.

I haven't run codes yet. Getting the scanner back this evening.

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. 

After extensive wiring checks, ended up sending the PCM back to FS1 and they admitted they didn't program it right. They had it for 2 weeks. Installed again and the shifting problem was fixed. However, I was getting a misfire on #5 cylinder, lean O2 bank faults, and idle was low and erratic. Thought I got the misfire fixed with a plug change. Advice on the F150 forum pointed to possible clogged cats for the idle.

The pickup was drivable, in fact used it to tow my cargo trailer with 2500 lbs of wheelers in it. Did well on an 80 mile round trip. Hoped it would clear the cats out but instead the misfire fault came back. More troubleshooting found nothing. The manual said if the injector and plug are good (they are), a misfire with lean O2 symptoms means its a PCM problem. Arragh!

FS1 agreed and they have the PCM again. Hopefully, third time is the charm.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, Tim-ANC said:

the 352 engine, aint known by much. my mom had a 65, i buried the speedometer, more than once. not a car for a 16 yr. old to drive.. 4 barrel carter carb. it was a screamer!!!

and yes, i did total it. 😧

Edited by LedFTed
tryijng to cancel
  • Like 1