leolufse

Transmission trouble shooting help please.

Hi guys. I’m bench testing the shifting/trans on an 03 rancher 350. I’m able to get it to shift into every gear, including reverse. But it will NOT go into first. I’m baffled. Does the engine need to be running for first only?  
I see zero evidence of bent or broken parts of any sort. Please help!  Thanks. 

image.jpg

As long as you rotate one of the transmission shafts while shifting you should be able to engage every gear except reverse. Reverse requires that you pull on the reverse lockout lever (located on lower part of the rear cover) while shifting down to engage that one.

4 minutes ago, retro said:

As long as you rotate one of the transmission shafts while shifting you should be able to engage every gear except reverse. Reverse requires that you pull on the reverse lockout lever (located on lower part of the rear cover) while shifting down to engage that one.

Yes sir. Every gear including reverse will click into place with ease. If I just rotate the driveshaft a touch.  When I attempt first, no amount of pressure on the pedal with rotating the motor or driveshaft will get it to click into place. It goes about 1/2 way.  In the photo I’ve pulled all the client and linkage out of the way. And using a ratchet on the gearshift drum. It just won’t go into the next notch. 

image.jpg

Well, the gear shift pattern is like this:

Neutral

Reverse

So I am confused how you can reach 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th gears, while it will not shift up into 1st? Does it somehow shift past 1st gear without engaging it?

If my memory is right, while rotating the shift drum using a socket & ratchet like you are doing, reverse gear will be the last gear engaged while turning the shift drum counterclockwise. In order to engage reverse gear the reverse lockout lever must be pulled toward the right side of the motor while turning the drum counterclockwise though. 5th gear should be engaged after you have rotated the shift drum fully clockwise.

^^^ Scratch that ^^^. I think I told it backwards.... rotating the shift drum fully clockwise should put it in reverse gear, but it will not complete that shift until the reverse lockout lever is pulled. So Neutral should be one click counterclockwise from reverse once reverse is engaged, while 1st gear should be two clicks counterclockwise from reverse, 2nd gear 3 clicks, 3rd gear 4 clicks, etc.

I’m making progress. I opened the stator side of the case and pulled it the reverse lock out cam deal completely. I can get into every gear. I think it is slightly bent and locking me out of first. 

The reverse lockout cannot prevent you from engaging 1st gear. If 1st gear has a problem engaging it may have a bent fork. What makes you think it is bad? Were you having transmission troubles before the motor was taken apart?

6 hours ago, retro said:

The reverse lockout cannot prevent you from engaging 1st gear. If 1st gear has a problem engaging it may have a bent fork. What makes you think it is bad? Were you having transmission troubles before the motor was taken apart?

You're right.  I was convinced there was a problem and there really wasn't  When I picked this up the PO said it was "stuck in gear".  During bench testing, I was expecting the shift pattern to be 1 down, 4 up.  Like on a motorcycle.  Turns out this thing shifts flawlessly as designed.  Thanks you for the quick and helpful replies!  

Edited by leolufse
  • Like 1

That's great! Keep us posted on your progress as you put it back together if you can