jeepwm69

A reminder, when buying and selling, take backup!

https://www.nola.com/news/crime_police/article_ec3c6166-8029-11eb-95a5-2383ba7b5f9f.html

A Harvey man shot and killed the owner of a dirt bike that had been listed for sale on Facebook’s Marketplace after the two arranged to meet up at a West Bank apartment complex Sunday morning, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Jalen Harvey, 20, then allegedly drove the victim’s sport utility vehicle to New Orleans’ Garden District neighborhood where he abandoned the SUV, with the victim’s body inside. The vehicle and the body of Joseph Vindel, 29, of New Orleans, were found early Monday, authorities said. 

Harvey was arrested Monday and booked with first-degree murder, armed robbery and obstruction of justice, Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joseph Lopinto said during a news conference.

The homicide marks the second time in three weeks that someone was shot in Harvey during a meeting involving an online marketplace sale, according to authorities.

On Feb. 19, a 21-year-old man was shot in the leg and robbed when he met up with a person who had advertised the sale of a 2009 Jaguar XF on the app Offer Up, the Sheriff's Office said. The victim met the seller/robber mid-day in the parking lot of an office building in the 2100 block of the lower West Bank Expressway. 

Sheriff's Office detectives on Friday arrested Romalis Hester, 26 of Harvey, and booked him with armed robbery, aggravated second-degree battery, simple kidnapping and other charges in the case, jail records said. 

Unfortunately, Vindel isn't the first person to be killed in Jefferson Parish while reportedly trying to buy or sell property, online. 

David Peraza Mancia, 41, was fatally shot on Nov. 3, 2019, by two men during a test drive of a Chevrolet Camaro that Mancia had advertised on the internet, the Sheriff's Office said. Herman Raney, 23, and La'Shon Brown, 21, both of Baton Rouge, have pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, armed robbery and obstruction of justice in Mancia's death.

According to Lopinto, the Sheriff's Office has handled six thefts, robberies or simple robberies related to online marketplace apps in the last year. That's compared to the thousands of transactions that go on using the technology, he said. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

man that's just bad, should have known looking to purchase from a stranger, the first thought should have been the money you take makes you a target automatically, second those pour guys should have not been alone, and met in a very public place, known for having a video surveillance system, it's just sad how things are becoming this day in time, just reminds me when shade was on his way to Nashville to help out a member, and never stopped in Memphis ... some places you just avoid, if you do not know the area all that well.. i doubt Facebook, will do anything at all to try and help with these issues.u

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this advice, Jeep.  Old folk like me don't think of such things.  

• Like 3

you can't even go into some parts of columbia .... narrow streets, burned out cars, thugs on the street corners, and on mule day, the national gaurd is  dispatched ...  for riot control, when the Saturn car company moved in, parts of columbia were named little china, and the drug / theft problem exploded, it's still bad to this very day, and not a single Saturn car can be seen, GM sure screwed up, that deal, a few farmers planned to purchase the land and stop the deal, but bailed out.

This is why when i was buying and selling quads we had rules we would follow to keep everyone safe. Never go alone. Always be packing. Talk to the person on the phone not just text. And always get the vin# and run it before going anywhere. Also we had certain places we would avoid as a whole. And we absolutely never took a quad anywhere to sell. They always come to you period! Cash is in your hand or they dont test ride. I would ride it for them if they asked. And one time we even had my buddy sit around the corner and pull in after they pulled in the driveway and block there vehicle in. Just incase they tried to take off on the quad. That was before we did the cash in hand rule. Scary world! But never be the guy that brought a knife to a gun fight!

• Like 6

Harvey is 50 miles south from me , bad place , west side of the Mississippi River across from New Orleans / Metairie

Yesterday I sold a Evinrude 18 outboard motor  off of Craig's List , the guy was on the way to my house late yesterday ,  when my wife told me about  that story ^^^ ,  I had screened him pretty good  , the guy was 70 years old and worked for a meat packing company in Slidell , but you never know -----   I have my big boat on Market Place right now 

• Like 1

just goes to show, what criminals are headed for now, sad as it is, this will get much worse, depending on where you live, and how close you are to neighbors, and where not to go, people better get good at seeing anything crooked, or fishy. personaly, would deal with only those i know well, a machine / money is not worth a life! 

• Like 1

You have to get an idea of who you are dealing with.  And if they are a potentially legitimate buyer, or just something weird.

In selling things I have always avoided anyone that didn't seem regular. 

You also have to watch for shills.  Watch out if a woman tries to set up a deal for someone else.

Only deal direct with a potential buyer.  The whole shill idea let's you know they are up to no good.

Ask them some questions about what they are looking to buy. 

Mostly it's just a sixth sense, or smell test.  You always have to ignore some of them.

dc

But a lot of other good rules here.  Back up of one type or another.

Edited by David13
  • Like 2

I've bought quite a few things off of Craigslist and Facebook through the years and have sold a few things.  There were a couple times that I felt uncomfortable but nothing that really stood out.  

Last year in Louisville, Ky. there was a young guy who wanted to go look at a phone that was for sale on craigslist.  It was in the bad part of town so his dad decided to go with him.  They got ambushed and the dad died of a gunshot wound.  I think there have been 9 shootings in just the last two days in Louisville.  

Last Saturday my granddaughter had a cheerleading competition in Louisville and there were BLM protesters there confronting these young girls shouting to them about their white privilege through bullhorns.  Some of them had guns and one person had his finger on the trigger.  Some of them supposedly exposed themselves to the little girls.  The media didn't report the part about the guns but the pictures were on facebook.  I think with the political climate that we have now some people feel emboldened and do as they please and even if they are caught and arrested the charges usually get dropped. 

Parents angered after they say children were targeted by protesters’ ‘vulgar’ insults (wave3.com)

• Like 1

I've bought and sold a few atv's and sxs's on line.  I've had very good luck with sellers and buyers - regular folks.  But, I'm careful and get a very good feel for them before they come here or I go there.  I've ignored many.  Heck, it turned out the seller of my commander was, and I guess still is, a minor/medium A&E reality tv personality from your town, Fish.  When I bought it, he lived in an area I think is a good bit North of you but still in LA when I went for a test drive - delivered the machine to me at my home a few days later.

• Like 2

Years ago I was on Craig's List every morning  ,  buying and selling something multiple times a  week , not so much any more , never did have a problem where I thought I was going to be robbed  ----   but like slowingdown said , I too screened people really well before inviting them to the house , if I had doubts on a person , I have them meet me at the flea market 1 mile away

i guess it all depends on many things, i myself never delt with craigs list, or Facebook, but the only things i would sell would be the bikes, which is not going to happen, but if i was to, it would be here, to a local friend, most likely little Johnny's as for other items, i have well most likely shops in columbia, a better price ... and keeping a wallet full of cash just makes the crimminal element think what else can i get from this person.... in my will he's to get both bikes, out of respect i have for him, just hope he keeps the 00 300.  hard to believe we can't really put trust in people any longer, it's very sad to. 

The current direction our society has taken has emboldened criminals.  The political winds are always a pendulum.  It will swing back to law and order at some point, likely when the "normies" have had enough.

• Like 3

i myself have had enough, i hazard a guess when this change will take place, but I'll be happy when it does just seems more and more people are heading the way of gaining material things for nothing, i tell yeah jeep i was shocked when your cat converter was sawed out in daylight hours, right there in a parking lot, here to cut back on the theft and the selling of scrap you have to have a picture ID just sell scrap, seemed to help some, till the criminals shifted directions... it's just plain impossible to keep up with whats the easiest score for them, and LE is just flat more overwhelmed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RubiDan said:

I've bought quite a few things off of Craigslist and Facebook through the years and have sold a few things.  There were a couple times that I felt uncomfortable but nothing that really stood out.  

Last year in Louisville, Ky. there was a young guy who wanted to go look at a phone that was for sale on craigslist.  It was in the bad part of town so his dad decided to go with him.  They got ambushed and the dad died of a gunshot wound.  I think there have been 9 shootings in just the last two days in Louisville.  

Last Saturday my granddaughter had a cheerleading competition in Louisville and there were BLM protesters there confronting these young girls shouting to them about their white privilege through bullhorns.  Some of them had guns and one person had his finger on the trigger.  Some of them supposedly exposed themselves to the little girls.  The media didn't report the part about the guns but the pictures were on facebook.  I think with the political climate that we have now some people feel emboldened and do as they please and even if they are caught and arrested the charges usually get dropped. 

Parents angered after they say children were targeted by protesters’ ‘vulgar’ insults (wave3.com)

Thanks for the linked article.   There will come a turning point when companies find out being "woke" is costing them money and that will be the end of that nonsense.  There is only one reason a company jumps on the BLM band wagon and that is the bottom line.  Could you imagine a CEO going into the boardroom saying that attaching themselves to BLM will cost the company millions in lost sales but it's  the right thing to do?  Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. 

• Like 4