Ang

Rewiring questions

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to read this and respond! Long story short, I have a 2007 honda rancher 4x4. It was under water years ago when it was brand new. No one ever really did anything to "fix" it. They just rigged things to get by. 

Now it's mine. I plan to just replace all electronic components.  I'm going to start with the complete wiring harness.  It's definitely going to be a project.  I just need to get an idea of what I'm getting into here financially so I'm not caught off guard.  My question at this point is this: Has anyone ever done anything like this? If so, what was your approximate cost? I don't want to replace things that don't necessarily need it, but you know how water damage can be. Once one part of the wiring is fixed another part goes bad.  I want to try to get ahead of it. 

Edited by Ang
Incorrect question
  • Like 2

Hi Ang, welcome to ATV Honda! You can probably buy a used wiring harness to save yourself some money. Check powersportsnation.com or sellers on eBay. As far as guestimating what parts you'll need...? You'll probably have to take it apart to learn more about that.

Are the motor and running gear water damaged as well?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m leaning towards “parts donor” considering it hasn’t run since it was dunked 13-14 years ago. How much time and money you want to put into it?

My questions would be:

is there a lot of rust on the frame? I’d be real concerned about bearings, control modules, brake components.

Pull the spark plug. Can you get the engine to cycle? 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

welcome to the site , there were 8 models of the Rancher in 2007 , there were 2 - 400 Ranchers and 6 - 420 Ranchers , which you do you have ? 

Sounds like it is running , but has electrical issues that were jumped out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

frame rust would be a concern of mine, maybe one the 1st things I'd check before digging any deeper. can you post us some pics from multiple sides ? 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! It does run. I should have mentioned that lol. It has changed hands within my family a few times but has mostly just sat because no one wanted to take the time to actually fix it. I traded my 2004 honda atv for it because it never ran right from day 1. I had a couple of people "fix" it in the past which just meant they kept it for a year or 2. I figured this one needs work but will benefit me more in the end. 

I'll post pics in a bit with the model info. I have the repair manual here but it's for multiple models. I need to check which it is. 

• Like 2

Ok here are pics. I included a couple showing the "fixed" or bypassed wiring. It's a mess.  I know she needs lots of love, but I don't think the frame is in bad shape at all. And the motor has never had any issues 

It's a 2007 trx420fe. Someone asked how much I want to spend.  Honestly,  as little as possible BUT with permanent fixes.  I'd rather spend as much as necessary now so that in a week or month from now another wiring issue doesn't present itself.  

Resized_20210312_151951.jpeg

Resized_20210312_151959.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152009.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152016.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152046.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152102.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152119.jpeg

Resized_20210312_152149.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ang said:

Wow, well, someone specifically asked so? 

I think he was "wow"ing at the wiring hanging out everywhere.

I would remove the racks, fenders, and take a look (post pics please) of the harness as a whole.

The shift buttons have a plug that goes into the main harness, for example, so you would just need to pick up a stop switch/shift button assembly and plug it into the main wiring harness.  Same with what appears to be a headlight plug.

The main harness might be fine.

You say it runs now.  Does it shift using the shift buttons on the handlebar?  Any mechanical issues (smoking, knocking etc)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that is definitely worth a "wow. " It's really bad lol. But I only posted the year and model because someone specifically asked for it. It was pictured as well, but I was being thorough.  

It isn't running right this second because it needs a new battery.  And it's been covered all winter. But it wasn't knocking or smoking previously.  So, from what you are suggesting I should just tear it apart and see what's going on in there before making purchasing decisions which makes sense.  When I do that I'll post pics and such. I was going to replace the wiring harness because it was under water. It made the most sense to just replace it. But maybe I should just replace all rigged parts first properly and go from there.  

Thanks again.  I have to replace fuel injectors in my car before I start with this project so it will be a week probably before I get to it. 

• Like 1

Main wiring harness, is still available thru Partzilla for $283 

5 WIRE HARNESS
32100-HP5-601 
$289.78
$282.98

Honda ATV 2007 TRX420FE 2A - FOURTRAX RANCHER 4X4 ES Wire Harness

Honda ATV 2007 TRX420FE A - FOURTRAX RANCHER 4X4 ES Wire Harness

they listed the harness as after market and 4 left , looks like it only fits the one year ----- there are sub harnesses and electrical components with pig tails , looks like your shift assembly might be  butchered up , that's $85 and still available 

gear shifter :

OEM Part Number: 35200-HP5-601

Part: SWITCH ASSY., L. HANDLE

I would guess the ES controller is jumped out by looking at the wires hanging out  , maybe need  a shift motor , angle sensor ----price could get up there quick , try to find some good used parts

• Thanks 1

to be honest it does look rough, but nothing that can't be sorted out, I'm like jeep I've seen much much worse. just keep in mind your wire problems are just a small part, bearings, brakes, engine issues, I'm not trying add to the list, on you, just saying what you might be facing, and from the pics, the frame looks good! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Camo looks good

get a can of Deep Creep and start spraying nuts and bolts. Let that stuff work in while you’re working on your car👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Deep Creep , used it yesterday on some Caterpillar pins I had to remove , it's cheaper than Aero-Kroil at almost 1/2 the price  , I like the way it foams up and stays where sprayed for a while and you can spray till the can is empty , where the Kroil usually runs out of aerosol before the can is empty  

So how was it sunk ? a flood or flip and dip ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite tools are Deep Creep, Permatex Anti-Seize, Permatex Dielectric grease, contact cleaner and a box of plumbers flux brushes. I think you’ll want a pack of those brass brushes too

i freed up the yolk on a bulldog hitch yesterday; you’re right @Fishfiles I emptied that spray can completely on that hitch. i was sceered of using that 5000 lbs trailer on my brand new Ford Superduty crew with 8ft bed. Got that oil worked into the spring seat real well. Now I'm good

oh yeah one last thing. Try not to get oil on the camo. The print is only on the surface and i think chemicals can damage that finish—not positive about it tho

Edited by Goober
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you might also trace some of those wire hacks to see what was by passed, it would give you an idea of what components, might be first on the list that gave trouble after the sinking, just a question to knock out a reason the wire harness was so hacked, is there any rodent damage that could have accured in the time this machine sat ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see the wires hanging off the front are to a set of auxiliary lights. So some of the hacking was probably trying to find the headlight power.

Id recommend wiring them and winch controller to the accessory circuit.

whats that cut three wire plug? 

547BC4B6-97C3-4DA1-90DA-E47E3F80DB70.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

I like @Ang removing all the bodywork to get a good look at the harness. I would save everything removed for now—i even save old switches and wire bundles so i can scavenge pieces of colored wire and connectors lol. I once used a piece of black/white stripe wire for an exciter coil by using a red marker to recolor the stripe.

• Thanks 1

i agree, would sure make it easy to check the wire harness, I'd just like to see what all was hacked, so i hope we get more  pics, when she's stripped  down to the frame. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Goober said:

i even save old switches and wire bundles so i can scavenge pieces of colored wire and connectors lol. I once used a piece of black/white stripe wire for an exciter coil by using a red marker to recolor the stripe.

You call that a being a  Honda Hoarder !! I know , I am one of them ,  you don't know how many times my arm and hand have returned from the throwing position in route  to the garbage can , it's like glued to my fingers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm not sure what the cut 3 wire in the front is yet.  I know the fuel pump is bypassed somehow so that if the key is on, it is on. The saddest part is that the guy who did this graduated top of his class as an electrician.  Let that soak in🤣 There could absolutely be rodent damage as well. I will post pics for you guys when I get it torn apart. 

The dunk was a bad one. My brother purchased this atv new. A couple of weeks later he was trying to impress some girl and let her drive it. We had lots of trails around here at the time around strip mines. I can't remember if a bug flew into her or a weed but she just decided to stop steering....they went down a 100' cliff and the atv went into the mine filled with water. It was there for weeks before we got it out. Neither of them were hurt thankfully. But I don't think he talked to her again:) 

• Like 4