jdlmodelt

1988 Foreman TRX350D fuel gauge sending unit repair

So, I finally got the nerve to pull the fuel tank and see if there was anything I could do to fixe the fuel level indicator/sending unit as it would occassionally flash 1 to 2 bars only when full and then no bars. I pulled the tank. removed the sending unit and discovered the pivot shaft was pretty floppy from 33 years of wear. I shimmed it up with some stainless steel shim material and got it to start showing level again. Cleaned out some rust and water in the fuel tank and put it all back together and now it's happy. I decided I needed to pull the fuel tank when I look inside and the color of the gas was opaque. foggy. Not right. Now it's clear after getting some crud out of there.

I also added a heal shifter lever as my upper foot hurts when I shift with the toe shifter.

20210314_140447.jpg

• Like 7

Is there a fuel screen at the petcock on these models? Asking cuz that was a thing on the old Suzukis

Shine a small but bright flashlight into the tank. There are two screens inside the tank. one on the primary and one on the reserve suction line. Use about 18 inchesof weed wacker line or (careful!) a piece of cut brake/throttle cable to ream the suction lines. Sediment and rust can clog these lines.

i have had to use a drill to directionally bore thru a clogged line-careful! Dont drive the cable thru the intake screen!

the reserve suction line cannot completely empty the tank so you must occasionally drain the tank to remove condensate. 

this is my tank after a vinegar and BB wash

51BA8D37-0350-4619-B13A-4863AD292BA5.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 3

Sorry, not petcock, fuel main pickup filter to petcock tube

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim-ANC said:

Sorry, not petcock, fuel main pickup filter to petcock tube

thanks for the clarification, goober my 86 doesn't have those screens in the tank, and it's an original metal tank, just has no fuel gauge (trx350.) and that inline #27 , and the fuel filter like in your pick, mines a plastic wix filter. 

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

thanks for the clarification, goober my 86 doesn't have those screens in the tank, and it's an original metal tank, just has no fuel gauge (trx350.) and that inline #27 , and the fuel filter like in your pick, mines a plastic wix filter. 

No screens? What’s on the end of the suction lines?

you didn’t wanna pay $40 for an OEM filter? 🤑

Edited by Goober

nothing just two tubes a plastic filter like yours has is, what mine has, when i went to changed the fuel filter this is what i got, same shape, just  had a wix printed on the side, never had a fuel issue, but i did ask LJ, he some some didnt come with tank screens , could have been a factory assembly mistake. but i never used reserve ... never had a carb issue. so as for the screens your guess is as good as mine. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

I imagine an I Love Lucy episode where Lucy is welding up screens on the suction lines and Ethyl is spot welding the tank halves together. the assembly line was moving too fast, with highlarius results.

• Haha 2

let me ask a question, is there anyway to install those, without digging up a nos metal fuel tank ? I'm all oem kind of guy. LJ saidif he was me he wouldn't worry about it, i didn't really care for that thought, but i had plan on getting a job there, (which i did) so i didnt care to push buttons. 

They look welded not screwed on. are the ends of your lines cut off cleanly?
you might consider using a stainless mesh racking cane screen, bazooka screen, or Similar 

F56CE940-CB46-4A48-AC80-D9DA603FE183.jpeg

best i recall no, they didnt look cut off, I'll have to get some pics, in your pic looks like they were brazed on, there was no signs of brazing on  mine, they just flat more aren't there. thanks I'll sure look into that stainless mesh cover. 

@Goober Dennis's son is going to get me some pics soon, I'll post them, I'm still baffled as to why thy this 86 is missing those oem mesh screens the history of the bike is, it was purchased brand new buy an older fellah, never used much, and  he passed away, and his wife just left it stored in there garage, till sarge cycles in columbia (closed now) got the bike, and LJ  spotted it and worked a deal out, took it back to his shop, and just waited for a buyer (ME) ran fine , still had the original h-track tires, he told me it wasn't  used much at all, so yes, I'm baffled on this fuel tank issue. 

• Like 1