OutlawRancher

Help with timeing chain

I have an 2012 Honda foreman ES 500 with a jumped and or broken Time chain  and I’m not sure how to even begin to change it. Anyone have any videos or diagrams I can go by and does the motor need to be completely out ? 

Edited by OutlawRancher
Misprint

Welcome to the forum.

If you google "youtube 420 crank" there is a 4 part series that shows a complete tear down of a 420 Rancher bottom end.  Your 2012 500 Foreman motor is the same as the 420 motor in that video.

You can also download the factory service manual free if you look right below the header at the top of the page under "service manuals"

You can do it with the engine in the frame, but it's much easier to do it with the engine out.  If you want to try with the engine still installed, wash the wheeler very thoroughly and stand it up on the rear rack, and then remove the front cover on the engine.  You can see what needs to be done in the videos I mentioned.

• Like 4

Welcome to ATV Honda OutlawRancher!

Your best friend is a copy of the service manual. Read it before you begin. There are things you need to learn from the service manual as you work that are not found in videos. If you have any questions hollar! Keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1

Yes I am a mechanic just have never done a four wheeler before mainly heavy equitment always steered away from them but I figured I’d help a guy out and now I didn’t know If it could be done without tearing whole motor apart or if it could be stationary 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Outlaw' ---- I too am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade ---  your doing it for someone else ??  --   with a manual and some help from the forum , I think you can pull it off ---the timing chain can be done without removing the engine from the frame---- how did you come to the conclusion the chain jumped or is stretched out ? 

Yes sir spitting sputtering backfiring along with the noise. Rough motor idle. Seen it before but the top end is new on this machine by a few months according to the paperwork he brought in with it. However they r out of reach and he need this bike for farm chores but he is a neighbor and I had a little time so thought what the !.