John65

New to forum - trx420es problems

As you might have guessed, I'm the new kid on the block (although not a kid, I'm 77)

I have 2- 2007 trx420te ATVs. One of them was stolen back in November and was recovered last Friday. Brought it home and started checking it over. Battery dead (charged it). When I finally got the ignition key in far enough to turn it on, I get the 2 red lights on right side of meter, no neutral light (and it is in neutral), the gear indicator blinks constantly with no dtc codes. the starter button won't work, the shifter buttons do nothing and all 3 check good.

I got out the manual and started diagnosing. Everything checked good 'til I got to the 33P gray tests. All green (grounds) check open circuit, but I can't find where these wires actually go to ground. Looked at wire harness diagram and traced the harness backbone and still no luck on finding where all these wires arre supposed to connect to a grounding point. 

Whole lot of typing to ask 1 little question, but I'm stumped.

John, welcome to our forum.  There are a number of 420 owners here at the site and I'm sure you will be getting some responses soon.  You said you have 2 420's, are there any comparisons you can make with the other one?  Maybe see where the ground wires connect to the frame??

• Like 1

They are identical. I can't find the grounding location on either on. I don't know who stole it, but evidently they had a smaill problem and decided to fix it themselves, and they or he/she doesn't know the difference in a pipe wrench and a ratchet. The wire harness was cut into in several places and nuts and bolts rounded off from trying to use american sockets on metric fasteners.

• Sad 1

Welcome John65 to ATVHonda , what part the country did they steal that 420 from you ? 

I live near Jakin, GA, which is in the southwest corner of Georgia. It was found by Jackson County Sheriffs Dept. near Marianna FL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John65 said:

I live near Jakin, GA, which is in the southwest corner of Georgia. It was found by Jackson County Sheriffs Dept. near Marianna FL.

I don't think there are many ATV's that ever get returned to the owner.  Even tho it came back with some problems you should be grateful it is back with you again....

• Like 1

heard of a lot members here that have atv items bikes stolen, it's great to hear ones been recover and turned back to the owner, they have any idea or leeds to catching sticky fingers ? 

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

heard of a lot members here that have atv items bikes stolen, it's great to hear ones been recover and turned back to the owner, they have any idea or leeds to catching sticky fingers ? 

They have a few leads. The person who had it at the time of retrieval had a Bill of Sale for it and they said it had been through several hands since it was stolen.

really doesnt shock me it passed through a couple of buyers, hopefully they will throw the book at him, and he will tell them of the others involved, i doubt seriously he will  spend much time if any in jai, unless he's been doing this for sometime, most times it's a cash deal (no paper trail) ,curious of how they tracked it down, anyways just glad to hear it was returned, and now this last person has LEs' attention, i would get the vin numbers off of both bikes, if you haven't already.  also very detailed pics of the bikes plus any mods you have done. 

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

really doesnt shock me it passed through a couple of buyers, hopefully they will throw the book at him, and he will tell them of the others involved, i doubt seriously he will  spend much time if any in jai, unless he's been doing this for sometime, most times it's a cash deal (no paper trail) ,curious of how they tracked it down, anyways just glad to hear it was returned, and now this last person has LEs' attention, i would get the vin numbers off of both bikes, if you haven't already.  also very detailed pics of the bikes plus any mods you have done. 

Yea, I got all the info and several pics of both, and the same for my 3 bikes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John65 said:

You were lucky to get it back , doesn't happen too often ------ I was reading about one this morning ,  stolen out of Brookhaven , Mississippi , they know who stole it and still can't find it or the guy that stole it 

WELL,,,, I got it cranked and it shifts gears, so I think I'm out of the woods on repairs. The ground wires from the computer were broken at the connection point to the frame. Now all I have to do is buy the panels that are missing, replace the ignition switch and battery, seal up all the places he/she cut into the wiring harness, repair the seat cover and it should be good to go.

Thanks for the help on finding the ground connection. I looked back through the manual and found the drawing. Guess I was looking to hard and went mentally blind in looking for it earlier.

This is a great forum, Very happy to be a member

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great news John, sounds like you have things under control.  Don't be shy, stick around to tell us how the Hondas are doing and if you have any problems.

We do have a chat board that we enter into and talk about all sorts of topics.  Click on the Chat at the top of the forum home page, located in the menu.  Would be glad to see ya there....

• Like 2

Welcome aboard.  Glad to see you got it running so quickly.  The wife's DCT threw me for quite a few loops during the rebuild.  Luckily @Melatv was around and had the patience to walk me through it.