spock

Roasted stator

Just pulled this out of a Grizzly 700, unbelievable! The owner had been running it for quite awhile after the stator died using a truck battery.

Anyone else see something this bad?

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Oh good grief that is ugly.  Thankfully I haven't seen anything approaching the blackness of that, I think if I did I would prolly be shunned here....and well I should....lol

Me neither. Is it actually charred? Curious what burnt on it. Doesn't look like outside contamination since the rest of the housing is so clean.

Edit: Got so hot that burnt oil got caked on it?

And how many miles could the owner get out of the truck battery? Gotta say, I think that's clever. 

Edited by Tim-ANC

What's crazy is you can see where the rotor/flywheel was rubbing on that charcoal stuff. Amazing that it still ran?!

Owned by a rancher guy (no surprise) and has probably more hours than kilometres - over 10,000 I believe.

• Like 2

you would think the smell of it cooking would have given the owner a clue, something was wrong / going wrong , what did he do go over kill with a lighting upgrade, or just ran it with no battery while the stator was working ? 

From what I know, he just kept running it with a truck battery connected to the original (dead) battery. 

No upgrades, just a well worn work quad. No brakes, shot wheel bearings, etc.

I never noticed any smell when taking apart either, but it did run pretty normal.

The owner did say sometimes it was shutting down after 5 minutes or so, hopefully it's just a stator it needs.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

sounds like it was cooked due to having two batteries one dead, and one heavy duty battery, well, that would be my guess, he wants you to fix the brakes wheel bearings etc ?

could have been a short in the cables from the dead oem battery to the truck battery touching the frame, (shorting) that might explain it shutting down every so often, while riding.

I would guess that crispy crust was flaking off and mixing with the engine oil 

Yeah, good points there guys. Well, the new stator is now installed - wasn't too bad. Funny how I've replaced lots more of them on Yamaha's than Honda's, good thing they're not a sideways engine with the magneto at the rear!

Time to get more oil & coolant & a new battery before it can be tested. Then it will need further tear down since the brakes & bearings are a must. I feel sorry for the life some of these quads have...

• Like 2

Spock , Since you mentioned it was rubbing , did you check for play in the bearing behind the flywheel , if the bearing was going out , it may have cause it to rub , then that created the short , which fried it ---- would guess it could have been a case of kick starting it and running it without a good battery at one time --- or maybe a faulty regulator ---would be a bummer to burn up another stator , I think Yammy calls them generators , bet a new one was $250 or more , bet Ricky Stator could have supplied one for a decent price , what did you pay 

• Confused 1

You know, everything else in there was fine. The rubbing is because that black junk built up so much it was touching the rotor, it was that thick!

The owner of the quad bought the new stator, not sure if it was oem but I doubt it. Yamaha had troubles with these first edition 700's eating stators.

Eventually they updated the cover with an oil line to help cool this area. Most guys don't bother and just buy a new "better" stator when they fail.

If it were my own, I'd hook up a volt meter to keep an eye on things.

• Like 3

Yamaha makes good stuff , I think they make the best outboards hands down -----   one of my buddies that rides with us has a 700 Kodiak Special Edition , I have ridden it and like the way it rides  , I can't think of anything he ever broke other than a ball joint -----  can't wait to bust his balls with this stator burn up issue , cause he is a worry wart ---  ate lunch today with another buddy , he is  about to buy the Yamaha Kodiak 450 mainly to ride with us  , only thing I don't like about the Yammys  is the automatic transmission --  I can't wait to test ride that 450 

Funny that you mention the auto transmission on those Yama-haha's. It is a belt drive CVT system but unlike the Polaris & Can Am it has an engagement clutch.

This is similar to Honda with a centrifugal, wet clutch that keeps the belt alive much longer. It's a superior setup and rarely gives trouble.

BTW, I got the stator installed and it's charging just fine. On to the next stage, good grief this thing is hurting.

Can't test ride it much now anyway, there's a lot of snow here and spring breakup has started - the trails are trash!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, don't like the whole rubber band drive thing. When Suzuki went that way I was disappointed, but it did bring me Honda. I want to get a Pioneer to replace my wife's RZR but they are too tall to fit in my cargo trailer. Was thinking Can-Am Maverick but now that you say this about Yamaha, I'll check into that.

I have three Yamaha atvs—03 Kodiak 4x4 and 2 2010/11 Grizzlies 2wd. They are pretty popular with younger riders. I like the simplicity of the shift pattern, the interchangeability of carriers, but i do not like the choke mechanism or the parking brake setup. I just can’t fix them stupid little pieces of tin — parts are harder to get than Honda parts 

• Like 1

I can say that the Yamaha belt drive must be better than Can-Am's set up , one of my riding buddies has a Yamaha 700 Kodiak Special Edition , as far as I know ,   he has never changed the belt yet and I ave never seen him smoke it , where my other buddy with the Can-Am 570 has changed his belt at least 5 times and has upgraded the clutch and is using Kevlar belts , I have seen him smoke the belt many times now ---- I have seen one bad thing about the Yamaha , it is not made to slow ride like we do , would guess it needs air flow from movement , cause it will boil over going slow , I think he needs to do the radiator relocation 

12 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Yamaha makes good stuff , I think they make the best outboards hands down -----   one of my buddies that rides with us has a 700 Kodiak Special Edition , I have ridden it and like the way it rides  , I can't think of anything he ever broke other than a ball joint -----  can't wait to bust his balls with this stator burn up issue , cause he is a worry wart ---  ate lunch today with another buddy , he is  about to buy the Yamaha Kodiak 450 mainly to ride with us  , only thing I don't like about the Yammys  is the automatic transmission --  I can't wait to test ride that 450 

yammies are the worst for elec parts going out, or catching fire ?!..as for which outboard is the best ?, depends on who ya ask ?..world wide ?..merc is mostly used and called for. personally ..i love merc.

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

yammies are the worst for elec parts going out, or catching fire ?!..as for which outboard is the best ?, depends on who ya ask ?..world wide ?..merc is mostly used and called for. personally ..i love merc.

That why there are red heads , blondes and brunettes , different strokes for different folks !!!!  

• Like 1

Well, the Grizzly nightmare continues! Brake pads worn through, not just metal to metal but now it's only got one side left - caliper piston onto disc should work, eh?

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, can't forget the loose front left wheel that I thought would be a bad bearing, it's much worse than that.

Upper ball joint to knuckle is knackered!

• Like 2

Looks like the piston bust through the inner pad. But sure, cheaper to just use one pad and the piston 😆 Love FUBAR pics

Edited by Tim-ANC
  • Confused 1