hawk

Centrifigul clutch "bluing"??

2002 Rancher 350 ES (TRX350EF)

Front case removed.  Looking at the centrifugal clutch I see bluing due to heat.  Is this much blue normal or is this due to an overheat condition?  The clutch hasn't been slipping at all, but I have only put about 5hrs of run time on it since I purchased it.   Any opinions or experience from anyone else?  Is this a sign of a bad clutch?

IMG_3534.JPG

6 minutes ago, hawk said:

2002 Rancher 350 ES (TRX350EF)

Front case removed.  Looking at the centrifugal clutch I see bluing due to heat.  Is this much blue normal or is this due to an overheat condition?  The clutch hasn't been slipping at all, but I have only put about 5hrs of run time on it since I purchased it.   Any opinions or experience from anyone else?  Is this a sign of a bad clutch?

IMG_3534.JPG

I have heard that blueing is from heat treatment of the metal , but your seems extra blue , lets get some other opinions 

Agree with Fish. Certainly is heat from friction. Too much heat will change the temper of the metal. Maybe clutch shoes slipping longer than normal before engagement? However you say it's been running fine.

Any evidence of stress cracks or warpage on the drum? Worn or chipped shoes? Excessive grooves in the drum?

Otherwise, I'd say you're good. These drums are designed to take thermal abuse. Never heard of one coming apart though my experience is limited. 

The clutch hasn't been slipping at all, but I have only put about 5hrs of run time on it since I purchased it.

its heated treated from the factory, there's another post in the forums asking about the same question, (shadetree answered  it) it would be hard to slip an es model, but not a foot shift, if your running wet clutch approved oil, your clutch shouldnt slip unless it's needs adjusting, but you said it's not slipping,  i must have missed why the engine was broken into ... what shape was the motor in when you drained it, have any odd smell ? 

• Like 1

Wow ,  didn't know    ^^^^ " it would be hard to slip a clutch on a ES but not a foot shift " ^^^ , guess that is one of them things , where you  believe 1/2 of what you read 

no actatty i have on my 97 by not keeping my foot off the shift lever, thankfully i adjusted the lever one spline down, i didn't know you could with an es when it's push button, nothing to keep the clutch partiality engaged. other then mechanical failure or clutch out of adjustment, or unless trying to use it in a higher gear at low to take off. i reckon reading half of what you think you goes all around, eh ? the ones i have ridden, never slipped, how do you partiality engage an es machine clutch  ? when shifting (matching the rpm with the speed)

Wilson , ---  as far as I know slipping the  centifical clutch isn't all about " partially engaging a shift lever "  >>>>   it is about pulling a trailer full of weight , oversized tires , trying to pull out of hole and slipping the clutch  ------  I would bet  you never seen a clutch housing in person , other than a pic or what you read someone else post -

nope never have, seen one close up, (I'm proud of that but if mine goes down, yes, would dig in and fix it) because no one here abuses Hondas , least not where i live, i probably pull more weight with with mine then anyone does around my area  (fire wood) but always use the low gear 1st (super low) i can't say i haven't abused the 97 some, i have slipped the clutch down shifting (not matching the rpm with a lower gear before shifting) i don't run over size tires, or mudd mine, but she does get used, lol. 

Thanks for the talk on this.  I really appreciate it.  I've taken a little break while I wait for a few seals to come in.  But I will check the drum and shoes more closely.

The reason I took it out was to replace the ES gear switch and the clutch adjustment screw was seized in the case.  The clutch never slipped, but I couldn't adjust it. 

I haven't had it that long, but the motor and trans were shifting well.  I was trouble-shooting the ES and determined at least one problem was the gear position switch.  To test the transmission I installed a "Momentary-on / off / Monetary-on" 30amp/12V toggle on the handlebars that has a cross-over wired in to allow reverse polarity between the up position and the down position.  Basically, I unplugged the motor and connected the toggle switch and drove it all over shifting it up and down with the toggle.  It rode great.  So I was feeling pretty confident about big moving parts... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dumb question. 

Please confirm the following regarding the main center hold-down nut.

Centrifugal clutch (one-way) - Left hand threads?

Friction plate clutch (clutch discs & pressure plate) - right hand threads?

On 3/21/2021 at 5:30 PM, hawk said:

Dumb question. 

Please confirm the following regarding the main center hold-down nut.

Centrifugal clutch (one-way) - Left hand threads?

Friction plate clutch (clutch discs & pressure plate) - right hand threads?

reg threads, counter clockwise to remove on this model.

• Like 2